U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
LA 28 68.29%
New Orleans 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:51 AM

5,302 posts, read 9,652,371 times

Advertisements

Well? Which city do you prefer?
-weather
-food
-scenery
-people/friendliness
-walkability/public transit
-culture and the arts

Personally I would rather live in LA but rather vacation in New Orleans. I love both places but LA seems to offer more because of its size. Plus, it has the beach and mountains. I love the greenery of New Orleans though (constant thunderstorms are a big plus) and the people are so nice. Would love to hear people's thoughts. Where would you rather live? Where would you rather vacation?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:50 PM

1,900 posts, read 2,889,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
-weather
-food
-scenery
-people/friendliness
-walkability/public transit
-culture and the arts

Personally I would rather live in LA but rather vacation in New Orleans. I love both places but LA seems to offer more because of its size. Plus, it has the beach and mountains. I love the greenery of New Orleans though (constant thunderstorms are a big plus) and the people are so nice. Would love to hear people's thoughts. Where would you rather live? Where would you rather vacation?
-weather= L.A. by an earth-consuming landslide
-food= this is tough, but I give L.A. the edge for diversity and authentic Mexican
-scenery= L.A.
-people/friendliness= easily New Orleans
-walkability/public transit= New Orleans
-culture= New Orleans
-the arts= L.A.

The toughest thing the deliberate about was the food, in my opinion. New Orleans food scene is world renown, while L.A.'s is world class. Los Angeles has a much broader variety of ethnic food to choose from along with fine dining institutions unparalleled in this country. Plus I'm a sucker for authentic Mexican and its a ALL OVER Los Angeles County, whereas here you have to search for it amongst a plethora Southern and Creole food...which I also love.

L.A is my 2nd home and New Orleans is my current home, so I love both cities.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:26 PM

1,138 posts, read 994,574 times
LA, only because I've been there before quite a few times and have never been to New Orleans, so yeah my answer is pretty biased Lol. New Orleans is very humid in the summer though, it's also flat from what I hear, so give me LA. New Orleans is mainly just a tourist town, LA is a world class city with everything.

Though I bet NO has better air quality and it's probably much cheaper I'd imagine. Seriously just to rent a slummy apartment in LA will cost you an insane amount! But we also make more money in California too so it balances out, the wages and salaries are adjusted to compensate with the higher cost of living. Generally speaking anyway.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:18 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,105,703 times
-weather: Los Angeles by a country mile. New Orleans is mad humid during the summer. And I can't stand humidity

-food: Damn. This is a close one. I'll with Los Angeles, because of the diversity of options.

-scenery: Los Angeles. Come on now. Los Angeles has one of the best sceneries in the US.

-people/friendliness: This I'll to New Orleans. I enjoy the joy de vivre/party all the time vibe of New Orleans. Los Angeles can be a stressful place to be.

-walkability/public transit: New Orleans. Los Angeles has better public transportation. But the French Quarter is one of the most walkable parts of the US.

-culture and the arts: Damn. I'll go with Los Angeles, but New Orleans has a more unique culture.

Overall. I prefer Los Angeles because it offers more than New Orleans.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:54 AM

23,783 posts, read 27,298,439 times
undecided, I don't know which set of boosters I'd like to annoy more

Old 03-16-2014, 01:20 PM

2,099 posts, read 3,359,661 times

-weather: LA. NO is humid and smells like **** year round. Plus it get cold in the winter.

-food: LA. NO has 'cultural' food to it's historic roots, but LA is top dog for many different kinds of food (Thai, Vietnamese, Mexican, Chinese, Burgers, etc.)

-scenery: LA. NO is scenic riding in on the 10-East but once you are there it's just OK.

-people/friendliness: Well I never found people from NO to be all that friendly or unfriendly. Angeleno's have a polarizing reputation, but I never found them to be rude or hostile like people in NYC or NJ. Most are helpful and pretty friendly. It has something to do with the sun shining 315 days out of the year I'm sure.

-walkability/public transit: Yikes really neither. LA has a metro system and it's going to be expanding rapidly over the next 20 years. NO I don't think has anything. Even cab rides to MSY airport are cash only. No cards accepted.

-culture and the arts: You could say NO for it's history and charm, but LA has it's own set of history and museum culture that is pretty underrated. I'll say that I like both.

LA wins hands down. Although you could add the following items to be evaluated:

--Beach/water culture
--Nightlife
--cost of living
--local economy
--crime.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 AM

16,030 posts, read 24,332,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post

-weather: LA. NO is humid and smells like **** year round. Plus it get cold in the winter.

-food: LA. NO has 'cultural' food to it's historic roots, but LA is top dog for many different kinds of food (Thai, Vietnamese, Mexican, Chinese, Burgers, etc.)

-scenery: LA. NO is scenic riding in on the 10-East but once you are there it's just OK.

-people/friendliness: Well I never found people from NO to be all that friendly or unfriendly. Angeleno's have a polarizing reputation, but I never found them to be rude or hostile like people in NYC or NJ. Most are helpful and pretty friendly. It has something to do with the sun shining 315 days out of the year I'm sure.

-walkability/public transit: Yikes really neither. LA has a metro system and it's going to be expanding rapidly over the next 20 years. NO I don't think has anything. Even cab rides to MSY airport are cash only. No cards accepted.

-culture and the arts: You could say NO for it's history and charm, but LA has it's own set of history and museum culture that is pretty underrated. I'll say that I like both.

LA wins hands down. Although you could add the following items to be evaluated:

--Beach/water culture
--Nightlife
--cost of living
--local economy
--crime.
New Orleans doesn't smell outside of the French Quarter, lies.

The NO area has scenic roads outside of the city, and definitely not on I-10 East.

New Orleans has 4 streetcar lines, one being expanded down N Rampart St. You must have visited a while ago, all cabs have credit card machines.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans doesn't smell outside of the French Quarter, lies.

The NO area has scenic roads outside of the city, and definitely not on I-10 East.

New Orleans has 4 streetcar lines, one being expanded down N Rampart St. You must have visited a while ago, all cabs have credit card machines.
You don't think the highway bridges that stretch for miles and miles over the ocean into the city is scenic?

Old 03-17-2014, 12:31 PM

16,030 posts, read 24,332,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
You don't think the highway bridges that stretch for miles and miles over the ocean into the city is scenic?
If you're talking about the Spillway, then yes, but that's on the west side of the metro. I guess you meant coming east into the city, my bad. I thought you meant the east side of the city.

There's also I-55 which passes over Manchac Swamp, that's very quintessential Louisiana.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:34 PM

The 10-East starts in LA and goes through NO. The bridges start about 15 miles outside of the city and you can see the skyline almost as you are going to drive up to it. It's pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City