Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 01:29 PM

404 posts, read 585,639 times

Advertisements

I'm a young professional about to start a masters program next year. My choices are Penn and Chicago. I'm trying to get a better idea of which has the better location.

Important factors for me would be:
COL
Access to public transit
Quality of public transit
Access to computer science jobs
weather
Geek friendly
Dating scene (I'm a straight male)
Ease of finding an affordable studio close to the school

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 01:34 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner15 View Post
I'm a young professional about to start a masters program next year. My choices are Penn and Chicago. I'm trying to get a better idea of which has the better location.

Important factors for me would be:
COL
Access to public transit
Quality of public transit
Access to computer science jobs
weather
Geek friendly
Dating scene (I'm a straight male)
Ease of finding an affordable studio close to the school

Any thoughts?
Which program is more prestigious and which one costs more?

Old 12-22-2013, 02:23 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,522,370 times
COL - UC, but not by much

Access to public transit & Quality of public transit - Both are equally lousy, but at Penn you could at least walk anywhere you need to go. There are great express buses that run from Hyde Park to Downtown Chicago, but they don't run late in the evening. Good luck getting from Hyde Park to the fun, hip districts on Chicago's North- and Northwestsides (Wrigleyville, Wicker Park, Boystown, Lincoln Park, Andersonville, Ukrainian Village, and Logan Square), which would literally take 2 hours on the CTA.

Access to computer science jobs - I plead ignorance. I would assume Penn, just because of the sheer amount of people on the East Coast.

Weather - Very subjective, but I prefer Chicago; Summers aren't as hot and humid; More snow in the winter to hide the dirty streets.

Geek friendly - UC's unoffical motto is, after all, "where fun goes to die!"

Dating scene (I'm a straight male) -Tie; you shouldn't have a problem on either campus.

Ease of finding an affordable studio close to the school - UC

Better bookstores : UC (I miss Seminary Co-op!)

Bottom line, Hyde Park offers more in terms of coffee shops and restaurants (Zaleski & Horvath is my favorite), but it's very isolated from the rest of the city. University City isn't that far from Center City and Rittenhouse (only a half-hour walk) but has less to do in the immediate vicinity.

There should be no shortage of geeky, horny, single, straight girls in both places.

There are plenty of cheap housing option in both areas, depending on how much sketch you can handle. Though, as a rule of thumb, Chicago apartments tend to be bigger.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 12-22-2013 at 02:42 PM..

Old 12-22-2013, 02:32 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
University of Chicago and University of Pennsylvania are both excellent schools.. I cannot help much with Hyde Park, but all of the categories of concern you listed, you would be completed satisfied coming to Philadelphia and attending U Penn. U Penn is located in University City, which is becoming a huge higher education, medical, and research center of the
mid-atlantic, and you are located just west of Center City Philadelphia. Since University City is growing exponentially in recent years, you would almost have the benefit of living in a city within Philadelphia.

Prices between Chicago and Philadelphia are pretty much on par...prices in U city near Penn and Drexel have definitely inflated due to recent demand, but there area a lot of options, plus Center City is a 10 minute subway ride away, which offers good variety.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:36 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
COL - UC, but not my much

Access to public transit & Quality of public transit - Both are equally lousy, but at Penn would can at least walk anywhere you need to go. There are great express buses that run from Hyde Park to Downtown Chicago, but they don't run late in the evening. Good luck getting from Hyde Park to the fun, hip districts on Chicago's Northside (Wrigleyville, Wicker Park, Boystown, Lincoln Park), which would literally take 2 hours on the CTA.

Access to computer science jobs - I plead ignorance. I would assume Penn, just because of the sheer amount of people on the East Coast.

Weather - Very subjective, but I prefer Chicago; Summers aren't as hot and humid; More snow in the winter to hide the dirty streets.

Geek friendly - UC's unoffical motto is, after all, "were fun goes to die!"

Dating scene (I'm a straight male) -Tie; you shouldn't have a problem on either campus.

Ease of finding an affordable studio close to the school - UC

Bottom line, Hyde Park offers more in terms of coffee shops and restaurants, but it's very isolated from the rest of the city. University City isn't that far from Center City and Rittenhouse (only a half-hour walk) but has less to do in the immediate vicinity.

There should be no shortage of geeky, horny, single, straight girls in both places.

There are plenty of cheap housing option in both areas, depending on how much sketch you can handle. Though, as a rule of thumb, Chicago apartments tend to be bigger.

You can get from Penn to Center City in 10 minutes by subway/taxi...Philadelphia subway system is not very extensive, but could not be easier for college students looking for more excitement in Center City. And As far as being dangerous, that is very exaggerated.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:34 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,705,086 times
There are some great bars in University City, I've had some great nights out there...IDK why one would call it boring. I also wouldn't call UCity lacking in public transit, could it be better? Yes, but it's not "lousy."

Running through University City is a subway along Market Street, two regional rail stations (UCity and 30th Street Station), the latter being the third busiest train station in the country:
List of busiest Amtrak stations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are also several subway lines, and one goes underground at 40th street and runs diagonal through Penn's campus, and the other goes underground at 36th and runs through Drexel's campus.... and then there are also buses.

So one has several options to get into Center City, as well as taxis.... and you could also just walk if you really want.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:37 AM

COL- tie- pretty close

Access to public transit- University City. You have a subway line, several regional rail lines, several trolley lines and several bus routes.

Quality of public transit- tie?

Access to computer science jobs- probably University City, since there will be jobs right in University City and right across the river in Center City

Weather- University City.... milder in Philly than Chicago

Geek friendly- tie? Maybe slight edge to UCity

Dating scene (I'm a straight male)- again tie? Both are massive cities and both will have plenty of single females.

Ease of finding an affordable studio close to the school- can't speak for Hyde Park prices but in UCity you can find a pretty good studio for $750-$900 a month.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
There are some great bars in University City, I've had some great nights out there...IDK why one would call it boring. I also wouldn't call UCity lacking in public transit, could it be better? Yes, but it's not "lousy."

Running through University City is a subway along Market Street, two regional rail stations (UCity and 30th Street Station), the latter being the third busiest train station in the country:
List of busiest Amtrak stations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are also several subway lines, and one goes underground at 40th street and runs diagonal through Penn's campus, and the other goes underground at 36th and runs through Drexel's campus.... and then there are also buses.

So one has several options to get into Center City, as well as taxis.... and you could also just walk if you really want.
The trolleys are quite nice and the taxis are pretty cheap.

Even better--bike.

Anyhow, Hyde Park is maybe the nicer neighborhood but it's pretty isolated from other nice neighborhoods. University City abuts Center City which has plenty of great neighborhoods.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The trolleys are quite nice and the taxis are pretty cheap.

Even better--bike.

Anyhow, Hyde Park is maybe the nicer neighborhood but it's pretty isolated from other nice neighborhoods. University City abuts Center City which has plenty of great neighborhoods.
University City proper is just as nice and then there are a bunch of surrounding neighborhoods that are very nice like Powelton Village, Spruce Hill, Woodland Terrace, Clark Park, Squirrel Hill, Cedar Park, Garden Court, Walnut Hill. The only sketchy area near is Northwest of University City like West Powelton, Dunlap, Haverford North.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
University City proper is just as nice and then there are a bunch of surrounding neighborhoods that are very nice like Powelton Village, Spruce Hill, Woodland Terrace, Clark Park, Squirrel Hill, Cedar Park, Garden Court, Walnut Hill. The only sketchy area near is Northwest of University City like West Powelton, Dunlap, Haverford North.
Well, my opinion is that University City is really boring, though I understand not everyone feels that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City