Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 6,221 times

Advertisements

I Googled this question and this thread was done on this very forum in 2012; poorly. It devolved into 12 pages of discussing the nuances of hurricanes vs earthquakes.

My question: if you were young and wealthy (15-25 million net worth), and you had to choose between these locations, which would you choose and why?

My only request is that you do not discuss hurricanes or earthquakes. Mentally healthy people will not take these things into consideration when choosing between these two cities; the myriad of other ways to die or have your life disrupted are so vast in comparison that it is a non-issue.

Thanks. I look forward to reading your replies very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 02:12 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianfromhouston View Post
My question: if you were young and wealthy (15-25 million net worth), and you had to choose between these locations, which would you choose and why?
A person that rich would have much better choices than those two places! However if the choice is limited to those two places the only and obvious choice is Miami. California has a 13.3% top income tax rate and Florida has a 0% rate. Assuming an average return on one's investments, the tax savings in Florida would pay for a new Nissan GT-R every year.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:32 PM

3 posts, read 6,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
A person that rich would have much better choices than those two places! However if the choice is limited to those two places the only and obvious choice is Miami. California has a 13.3% top income tax rate and Florida has a 0% rate. Assuming an average return on one's investments, the tax savings in Florida would pay for a new Nissan GT-R every year.
While Hollywood unquestionably has a higher cost of living for a wealthy person, I think it's only fair to point out that Florida nickle-and-dimes wealthy people in every way possible.

Also if we're talking about investment returns were talking about capital gains tax, which narrows the "income specific" (for lack of a better term) taxation differential down to 8% (33 vs 25).

Not disagreeing, just nit-picking. Thanks for your contribution.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:19 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
I'd live in Miami and visit LA in summers, simply because it would be cheaper in Miami, and also has more rain and the beautiful beaches.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:20 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Earthquakes vs. Hurricanes?

That is the real question.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:37 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,552 times
If you want hills and mountains, and prefer a dryer heat, then Los Angeles.

If you want better beaches and lush tropical scenery, and prefer a humid heat, then Miami.

If I was wealthy I would choose Miami as Florida is less expensive and has lower taxes. I also dislike some of California's Laws, in particular their anti-2nd Amendment policies.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:13 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Miami. I just prefer everything about it. The people, the weather, the location etc.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:48 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
If I were a rich dreamer and Los Angeles was an option I'd certainly fulfill a better dream with direct ocean access in Malibu rather Hollywood Hills. Better yet I'd go down the road to San Diego and live in La Jolla. That would be living the dream for me.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:10 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
LA is a much more conducive economic, social, and cultural environment for someone who is young, wealthy, and--let's assume FAIAP--educated, driven, and entrepreneurial.

OTOH, rich people in Miami are, for the most part, thugs. No contest.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:25 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Not even close - Hollywood Hills. Better weather, better local topography, better day trips, you name it. Not to mention better cultural choices with which to spend that money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City