Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DC vs Dallas
DC 33 63.46%
Dallas 19 36.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:41 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Sunshine View Post
You are not understanding.... Are you another 18montclair junior? slo1318 is his parakeet because he repeats everything he says, just rewords it. You are another parakeet of his. You do not have any original ideas and you just repost his statistics. 18montclair junior, why do you enjoy counting everyones money but your own?

Let's get this straight. IDGAF about luxury homes. Understand? I am not impressed witih counting other peoples money like you are, it is pathetic. I care about hte average home median. Now, go get another wiff of a millionaire.... you poor chinese peasant.
LOL look at this mental case. First he asks who can afford to live in Philly would choose ATL, DAL, etc and then I showed him folks who make the $$ and can buy luxe properties in any US city buying more in those cities than the dump hes from and he starts losing his head

Last edited by scrantiX; 12-29-2013 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 05:42 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,334,414 times
Quote:
I will ask my question again.

If people could live in DC, Philly, Boston, SF, LA, Seattle, San Diego for the same price.... would they pick the cities I listed or Dallas/Houston/Atlanta?
I do believe I asked the question first.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:55 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
Really? So, if someone told you right now..... your choice. LA vs Dallas for the exact same COL that you would pick Dallas. Dallas offers the same as LA? Come on man, people live in Dallas because it is cheap, which is the same reason why companies have moved there. Dallas/Houston/Atlanta/The South is general is the china of america.
Considering that LA is about 3 times larger, I would chose LA because it offers more. But that doesn't mean that Dallas doesn't offer a ton of amenities as well.

I made a thread to further discuss: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post32791330

Old 12-29-2013, 06:01 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
As for the question. I like both cities. But choose DC because of location and it's more urban. Too great cities. Like the Dallas is becoming more urban too.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
Philly has really dropped off as a city recently. Both Atlanta and Houston, sprawling southern metropolis beat it in both international and domestic tourists/visitors. Now I see they sell more luxe homes also? I also saw the study where in 2025, Philly is expected to lose 9 spots in economic competitiveness while ATL, Dallas, and Houston will all be beating it by a fairly large margin.

What happened to the city? D.C, Boston, and NYC still manage to stay relevant while Philly is slowly forgotten.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:19 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Philly has really dropped off as a city recently. Both Atlanta and Houston, sprawling southern metropolis beat it in both international and domestic tourists/visitors. Now I see they sell more luxe homes also? I also saw the study where in 2025, Philly is expected to lose 9 spots in economic competitiveness while ATL, Dallas, and Houston will all be beating it by a fairly large margin.

What happened to the city? D.C, Boston, and NYC still manage to stay relevant while Philly is slowly forgotten.
A highly credited agency asked folks around the US the cities they desire to live in Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > 3 Sunny States Remain Top Choices for Where Americans Would Like to Live

16 years surveying and they are a great think tank and Philly has never been on their lists.

Another survey for US cities with the best reputations from folks around the world from a credible think tank also omitted Philly http://www.reputationinstitute.com/f...ss_Release.pdf

Philly is not a TV, movie, fashion, pizzazz, shoppers mecca, HNWIs, billionaires, corp. elites, executives, etc. Its a bluecollar historical city close to NYC. Its skimmed over by other think tanks like AT Kearney, Foreign Policy, etc.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
DC is the better city. But Dallas winters are a bit better and it is cheaper too.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:54 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Now that you've made your point can the thread be closed?

Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is actually a pretty good comparison.

While I've not yet visited Dallas, I've heard that it's not as exciting as a city like DC, but it strikes me as a city where it's just easier to get ahead and live comfortably. Plus it offers practically every amenity that DC does outside of the free museums. I really do dig DC but I think the astronomical COL there is unjustified. I'm a nerd and the free museums in DC alone make it a winner for me, plus I already know a ton of people there, so it would win in terms of a place to visit, but as a place to live, Dallas would give it a run for its money.
The Dallas Museum of Art is free which is better than a lot of cities whose art museums charge an admission fee. The Kimbell in Fort Worth is also free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City