Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best international destination for a tourist?
Atlanta 2 2.60%
Chicago 32 41.56%
Miami 27 35.06%
New Orleans 16 20.78%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:59 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Maybe for some the jack of all trades is a better visitor experience than one punch tricksters.

Chicago or Miami. I can book half a week in Chicago and feel that another trip is needed later. For Miami its for a select group of folks and for the rest of us finding things to entertain us is daunting. It would take me one day to see what I came for in MIA. Chicago's larger and more diverse, when I visit I split nabes by dates.
Ehh, you're selling Miami a little short. If we're talking metros, you can split Miami into 3days of tourism. There's more than enough festivals, artsy neighborhoods, and various enclaves in greater South Florida, to convince someone for a return visit or to convince them to stay 3 days. Miami only seems like a one trick pony because folks don't know how to advertise beyond South Beach. They literally don't advertise beyond South Beach, meaning even other parts of Miami Beach beyond Ocean Drive and the Art Deco District aren't really shown(including areas containing the more high-art stuff like the Miami City Ballet).

Old 12-30-2013, 01:43 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
I see foreign tourists in downtown Atlanta all the time. People never seem to want to give the southern sunbelt cities any credit at all and just say "It's business conventions". Tourists are still tourists no matter what they're purpose for being in the city is. They're spending money and going to the attractions.

Hell, Chicago is LOW for how big the city is. Only 1 million? Please....

Old 12-30-2013, 06:26 AM

484 posts, read 882,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I see foreign tourists in downtown Atlanta all the time. People never seem to want to give the southern sunbelt cities any credit at all and just say "It's business conventions". Tourists are still tourists no matter what they're purpose for being in the city is. They're spending money and going to the attractions.

Hell, Chicago is LOW for how big the city is. Only 1 million? Please....
I give NOLA and Miami credit and they're in the sunbelt. I'm sorry I just don't see the draw to visit Atlanta.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:51 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
I'd imagine lots of foreigners would prefer Atlanta over New Orleans for the simple reason of luxury shopping. That's a huge draw of any major American city, and Atlanta destroys New Orleans in that regard. Of course, Chicago and Miami have better shopping than Atlanta.

Removing shopping from the equation, Atlanta is definitely a distant fourth. It shouldn't really be considered along with the other cities, which all have obvious tourist appeal. If a foreigner has been to the USA 5+ times, they might be interested in a more typical city like Atlanta or Dallas, but they aren't traditional tourist cities.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:58 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I give NOLA and Miami credit and they're in the sunbelt. I'm sorry I just don't see the draw to visit Atlanta.
I have quite a few French and Chinese friends who insisted on seeing Atlanta when they visited the US, and not just because of the Olympics. They all wanted to see the church where MLK preached, the Carter presidential library, CNN Center, and the World of Coca Cola. All very iconic, very American things that are unique to Atlanta. None of the other cities offers a presidential library. True, they can see those four Atlanta icons in a day or two, but what is there for an international tourist to do in New Orleans for more than a day or two? Or Miami? In addition, the American Civil War is still an intriguing subject for overseas students, and that's something else that brings international visitors to Atlanta (and NOLA).

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-30-2013, 08:17 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I have quite a few French and Chinese friends who insisted on seeing Atlanta when they visited the US, and not just because of the Olympics. They all wanted to see the church where MLK preached, the Carter presidential library, CNN Center, and the World of Coca Cola. All very iconic, very American things that are unique to Atlanta. None of the other cities offers a presidential library. True, they can see those four Atlanta icons in a day or two, but what is there for an international tourist to do in New Orleans for more than a day or two? Or Miami? In addition, the American Civil War is still an intriguing subject for overseas students, and that's something else that brings international visitors to Atlanta (and NOLA).
Miami can give a tourist 3 days worth of tourism. Any 1 of these 4 cities can. Who goes to Miami for a day, unless they live in Florida or the Bahamas and just want to make a day trip?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:41 AM

Most people go to Miami for the beaches and nightlife. Let's be honest. That's why it has such an abnormally high international tourist appeal and even domestic appeal, it's still top 4-5 I think. I don't think people go to Miami for history and attractions.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Most people go to Miami for the beaches and nightlife. Let's be honest. That's why it has such an abnormally high international tourist appeal and even domestic appeal, it's still top 4-5 I think. I don't think people go to Miami for history and attractions.
Precisely. I used to live in Miami and know that it's very popular for its beaches and glitzy nightlife, and rightly so. But history and attractions? Nope. Likewise, other than getting sloshed on Bourbon Street, listening to awesome jazz and eating amazing food, what do international visitors do in New Orleans? And how do they get there? The only nonstop flights into Louis Armstrong International Airport are from Toronto and Cancun.

It seems that the city-data anti sprawl rabble is letting its anti-Sunbelt bias cloud its logic here. Since Atlanta is nothing but suburban sprawl, they say, clearly there's nothing to do there for an international visitor.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-30-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Precisely. I used to live in Miami and know that it's very popular for its beaches and glitzy nightlife, and rightly so. But history and attractions? Nope. Likewise, other than getting sloshed on Bourbon Street, listening to awesome jazz and eating amazing food, what do international visitors do in New Orleans? And how do they get there? The only nonstop flights into Louis Armstrong International Airport are from Toronto and Cancun.

It seems that the city-data anti sprawl rabble is letting its anti-Sunbelt bias cloud its logic here. Since Atlanta is nothing but suburban sprawl, they say, clearly there's nothing to do there for an international visitor.
Exactly. I seen a bunch of foreign visitors in downtown Atlanta in the Centennial Olympic park area and Peachtree Center neighborhood just this past weekend. One Latino girl asked me to take a picture of her in front of our ferris wheel. She spoke either Spanish or Portuguese, but I understood that she wanted me to take a picture. I noticed Atlanta seems to be popular among Hispanics and Latinos followed by Asians, then I'd say Europeans last unless some of these people are from Spain.

You'd be surprised how many people are speaking different languages on an average Atlanta weekend in the tourist hotspots of the city walking on the sidewalks. I'd wager that Atlanta has further increased it's foreign visitation this year possibly to over 700k. We'll see though. It was 655k in 2012 with a 12% increase.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:55 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
I think everyone is underrating Atlanta, remember that's the only city that got massive exposure with the Olympics.
So what tourist attractions are worth seeing in Atlanta? Why would one pick it over the other 3?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City