Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you visit (assuming you haven't been to any)?
Sunbelt (LA, LV, Dallas, Nashville, Miami) 23 29.11%
Central (SF, SLC, Denver, St. Louis, DC) 13 16.46%
Northern (Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Boston) 43 54.43%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Assume you've not been to any. Say you have 25 days to spend in the US in 5 different cities. You have a private jet and can fly from each city to each city. The catch being, you also have to remain within the city limits for those 5 days.

Which of these 3 tours/itineraries would you choose?

1. SUNBELT: Los Angeles -> Los Vegas -> Dallas -> Nashville -> Miami

2. CENTRAL: San Francisco -> Salt Lake City -> Denver -> St. Louis -> Washington DC

3. NORTH: Seattle -> Minneapolis -> Chicago -> Cleveland -> Boston

P.S. There's a reason why NYC was left off the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 11:38 PM

6 posts, read 7,984 times
IMHO, this is just my breakdown. I am going to go with the option that gives me the most cities I enjoy.

List 1 - I am interested in visited only LA, Vegas and Miami = 3 cities
List 2 - I am interested in SF and DC = 2 cities
List 3 - Boston and Chicago = 2 cities

I am not interested in ever seeing any of the other cities and would never recommend them to a foreigner. Therefore, I will go with list #1

Old 12-30-2013, 12:45 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
I chose the third option because I have only briefly been to Seattle as a baby, barely spent time in Chicago, and never been to Boston or Minneapolis. Cleveland...I drove through it and it seemed boring. For the Sunbelt, I am only interested in LA and Miami. I do not care for Vegas, Nashville hardly seems Sunbelt, and Dallas seems boring. Central-been to SF and would like to visit again but it didn't live up to its hype for me. I used to live in DC and while it is nice, I have done all the touristy things there. Salt Lake City seemed boring when I was there. I do wanna see Denver and St. Louis, but both are not too high on my list. St. Louis also has a high crime rate and that worries me.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:26 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
The north is packed with great cities! South suspiciously has a lot of sprawl.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:51 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I chose the 2nd set. I'd be so worn out visiting the 1st 3 I'd need a rest when I got to St Louis. STL has plenty of old houses and I like that. Theres plenty to keep you occupied for 5 days in DC.

Oh shoot - I just read the part about having to stay in the city limits. My choice would be #3 or just stay home.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:19 AM

484 posts, read 882,549 times
List 3. I'd love to see all but Cleveland

Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Cities in the poll in order I would like to visit them (not including Miami, already been there)

1.San Francisco
2.Los Angeles
3.Las Vegas
4.Chicago

5-7 (not in order):
Boston
Seattle
Washington D.C.

8.Denver
9.Dallas
10.Minneapolis
11.Nashville
12.Salt Lake City
13.Cleveland
14.St.Louis

Old 12-30-2013, 08:56 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I chose the third option because I have only briefly been to Seattle as a baby, barely spent time in Chicago, and never been to Boston or Minneapolis. Cleveland...I drove through it and it seemed boring. For the Sunbelt, I am only interested in LA and Miami. I do not care for Vegas, Nashville hardly seems Sunbelt, and Dallas seems boring. Central-been to SF and would like to visit again but it didn't live up to its hype for me. I used to live in DC and while it is nice, I have done all the touristy things there. Salt Lake City seemed boring when I was there. I do wanna see Denver and St. Louis, but both are not too high on my list. St. Louis also has a high crime rate and that worries me.
And you say this from experience, correct?

Old 12-31-2013, 11:11 PM

188 posts, read 376,268 times
I hear a lot of worries about the St. Louis Crime rate, why do you say that? Is it because of the FBI rankings?

The truth is that the rates are very distorted because the box drawn around the city (for political reasons we are working on fixing) is very distorted from that of most other cities. For comparison, its as if you drew a line around South Chicago and downtown Chicago and then called that "Chicago," which would be by far the most dangerous place in the country. That sort of inaccurate picture is exactly what is going on in crime reporting for the St. Louis area.

The truth is that the metro region is among the safest in the country. More people feel safe in their neighorhoods in St. Louis than places like San Francisco or Chicago. I've left my door unlocked in the city without worrying about a break in. Most of the crime is limited in places that you'd never visit anyways. St. Louis was recently found to be the happiest city in america. Do you believe it? If not, you'd have to explain why you believe the crime rankings but not something like this as well. Both play hard and fast with the statistics and have about the same validity.

Last edited by JuanHamez; 12-31-2013 at 11:48 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 12:28 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
All three sound like really fun trips. I would rank them 3>2>1. All 5 cities in List 3 are so stellar and you'd have no trouble spending quite a bit of time in any of them. List 2 is pretty close. List 1 is less appealing because it might be a stretch to fill five days in Nashville just doing tourist stuff and don't care about Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City