Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,965 times

Advertisements

First, a disclaimer: I don't mean the title of my post to seem judgmental (although I'm sure my disclaimer probably makes me seem even MORE so)...The Girlfriend and I are big ol' lefties (she's 44, I'm 53), and we are enduring our (hopefully) last Minnesota winter. I've travelled a lot in my more Bohemian days (did standup comedy during the 'boom'), and she's spent time in Dallas, Minneapolis, and Tucson.

I'm a comedy writer, so I can work from anywhere...the GF has worked in radio as a commercial traffic director, but would be initially looking for generic office/admin gigs. I'm Jewish, and though I don't need to feel like I'm in little Tel Aviv, I'd like there to be a Jewish community. We both have some mobility issues, and though she drives, we need some public transit.

We realize that there will be kindred spirits in every major city, and that there are 'liberal' cities with LESS winter than Minneapolis. eliminated Texas (unrelenting heat) and the West Coast (though I'm from L.A., I'd like to minimize my chances of being in an apocalyptic earthquake).

On the other hand, it seems that, if we want a mild four-season climate (without a punishing winter), an urban feel and a strong creative presence, we're looking at traditionally 'red' states. We think either Atlanta or Charlotte could be a good fit, but where would we feel least out of place--Georgia or North Carolina?

I realize that most of my terms are vague ('red,' 'liberal,' 'urban,' 'creative,'out of place,' 'Georgia'--wait, I guess that one's not vague). Anyway, if anybody feels like jumping in, we would appreciate any insights. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 04:50 PM

467 posts, read 541,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercomedy View Post
First, a disclaimer: I don't mean the title of my post to seem judgmental (although I'm sure my disclaimer probably makes me seem even MORE so)...The Girlfriend and I are big ol' lefties (she's 44, I'm 53), and we are enduring our (hopefully) last Minnesota winter. I've travelled a lot in my more Bohemian days (did standup comedy during the 'boom'), and she's spent time in Dallas, Minneapolis, and Tucson.

I'm a comedy writer, so I can work from anywhere...the GF has worked in radio as a commercial traffic director, but would be initially looking for generic office/admin gigs. I'm Jewish, and though I don't need to feel like I'm in little Tel Aviv, I'd like there to be a Jewish community. We both have some mobility issues, and though she drives, we need some public transit.

We realize that there will be kindred spirits in every major city, and that there are 'liberal' cities with LESS winter than Minneapolis. eliminated Texas (unrelenting heat) and the West Coast (though I'm from L.A., I'd like to minimize my chances of being in an apocalyptic earthquake).

On the other hand, it seems that, if we want a mild four-season climate (without a punishing winter), an urban feel and a strong creative presence, we're looking at traditionally 'red' states. We think either Atlanta or Charlotte could be a good fit, but where would we feel least out of place--Georgia or North Carolina?

I realize that most of my terms are vague ('red,' 'liberal,' 'urban,' 'creative,'out of place,' 'Georgia'--wait, I guess that one's not vague). Anyway, if anybody feels like jumping in, we would appreciate any insights. Thanks!
Check out Raleigh-Durham, lot of liberal transplants.

every city in the south has plenty of liberals though.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:58 PM

489 posts, read 910,725 times
You would probably enjoy the Noda or Plaza Midwood neighborhoods in Charlotte. But Atlanta and Raleigh-Durham were the first cities that came to mind. Actually, Asheville was the very first cities, but that would defeat the purpose of escaping winters.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:01 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
In my opinion, Atlanta and the Raleigh Durham area would suit you best.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
OP - Pretty much every large city in the south will be at least somewhat liberal. The thing I will warn you about is not to discount the the impact of state politics on your life. We lived for many years in Houston - a liberalish city, and had no problem finding like-minded folks to run around with. But state policies and practices around social issues (e.g., lgbt rights, women's health) and quality of life issues (e.g., lack of support for funding public transportation) were able to reach us, deep within the cocoon of Houston's inner loop. On top of it, it became just a bit depressing to realize that none of our candidates for state office were ever going to win.

If you follow politics, I don't have to tell you that Georgia and NC have some pretty conservative leadership at the state level and it doesn't appear likely to change in the next few cycles. I am not trying to rain on your parade - just offer some personal experience you can take into consideration as you make your own decisions about whether and where to relocate.

Best of luck

Old 01-05-2014, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,965 times
This resource (city-data.com) amazes me...I'm grateful for so many quick responses.

Francis--thanks for the recommendation-the Triangle area intrigues us, but Charlotte, being larger, will give us more of a city feel we want...
R. Talbott--both of those neighborhoods seem appealing--thanks!
Peter--I think of the two, we would 'fit' better in Atlanta.
jm02--You point to the exact concern we have about being out of sync with the state, even if we dig the city. We saw an interesting Bill Moyers special about N.C. politics--at least it seems that there are other voices in the debate there, like the Moral Mondays movement. That intrigued us.

Last edited by mistercomedy; 01-05-2014 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: wanted to expand upon a comment

Old 01-05-2014, 06:04 PM

93,186 posts, read 123,783,345 times
What about Miami?

Old 01-05-2014, 07:48 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
atlanta is probably the most liberal place out of all of these, but weather wise... i mean yeah, it's not minnesota, but it's not going to be warm in the winter.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:34 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,172 times
Why would you care so much about politics when it comes to visiting a place? I'm a conservative and I lived in California for a while, even though I thought their politics sucked it didn't effect my enjoyment of the state. Politics is just one aspect, and shouldn't be the most important one either IMO.

I recommend Miami. It has some conservatives but some liberals too, also a lot of transplants from other places. It also has a huge Jewish Community. It has beautiful tropical scenery, colorful skies, great weather, blue and clear water, white as snow beaches that are super soft, and plenty of entertainment to enjoy. I think you would love it.

Best of luck to you!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:29 PM

9 posts, read 10,405 times
California would be your best bet. Specifically San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City