Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:48 PM

116 posts, read 455,743 times

Advertisements

We have lived in many states, and are wondering if we should now move to Philadelphia...

There's a good opportunity there. We could potentially live in the suburbs of Philly or DE.
There's also a good opportunity here, in Denver. We like Denver, it's good.

Everyone that we mention Philadelphia to, makes a funny face... I know Philly gets a bad rep, but I'm here to find out more about the historical city and its surroundings. (I've done some research online, but wanted to hear from those who have lived there or who currently live there)

Are there good reasons to move to Philadelphia vs. staying in Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 04:20 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Try something new. Go with Philly!

Old 01-06-2014, 05:41 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecoise30 View Post
Everyone that we mention Philadelphia to, makes a funny face
Did you ask them why they made a funny face? Most people I talk to Philadelphia about know nothing about the city, but remember hearing about a murder or two that happened in the 90s there. Philadelphia is a great city with some of the best history and urban amenities in the country (e.g. downtown, transit, etc.). The location is amazing with NYC, the ocean, mountains, etc. all very close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebecoise30 View Post
Are there good reasons to move to Philadelphia vs. staying in Colorado?
You should tell us what you like rather than have us tell you everything that could be construed as a good reason to move...

Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
I know a lot of people who made funny faces about Philly before they spend time there and fell in love. That doesn't mean it would fit your situation, but it's worth a chance. What is your situation?

Do you have a preference of suburbs over city? This could impact your choice.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:06 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
When we told Houston friends we were moving to Philly three years ago, we got two reactions. From those who didn't know the city, we got the funny face. From those who had visited or spent some time here, we got "Wow, what a great city!"

That said, I don't know enough about what you are looking for to recommend Philly over Denver to you. They are very different cities in very different settings. While CD is a good place to collect info, the only way you should decide, IMO, is to hop on a plane and head over for several days to see for yourself.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:11 PM

116 posts, read 455,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
When we told Houston friends we were moving to Philly three years ago, we got two reactions. From those who didn't know the city, we got the funny face. From those who had visited or spent some time here, we got "Wow, what a great city!"

That said, I don't know enough about what you are looking for to recommend Philly over Denver to you. They are very different cities in very different settings. While CD is a good place to collect info, the only way you should decide, IMO, is to hop on a plane and head over for several days to see for yourself.
I do feel that people that have been there or lived there, love it. Others that have never been make the faces.

We have spent two days there, but it was mainly to talk about work potential. We should make another trip to see again.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 7,556 times
Its a lot crime City,i want slower pace,not too many blacks there, I HEARD THAT DENVER IS WHOLE LOT SAFER,COMPARING TO PHILLY.Commets [email]happycatt99@gmail.com

Old 02-24-2015, 08:30 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by african man7 View Post
Its a lot crime City,i want slower pace,not too many blacks there, I HEARD THAT DENVER IS WHOLE LOT SAFER,COMPARING TO PHILLY.Commets [email]happycatt99@gmail.com
Very insightful. Did you happen to read that OP isn't looking to live in the city? Or are you asking for advice yourself?

Old 02-25-2015, 10:09 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
I've visited Philly many times and love it. It's a lot bigger and diverse than I thought.. Certainly bigger than Denver. Not that that makes it better, but there's a ton to do there and its both historical and modern. idk, i dont have a biased like i live there, i just always enjoy visiting "illadelph"

Old 02-25-2015, 10:15 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Denver seems like a great place to be right now-I have a friend that moved out there from Philly and loves it.

My biggest issue would be the lack of beaches/the ocean. Are there many lakes to swim in? Or more rivers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City