Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 04:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm not sure of Boston Philly. I think Chicago, NYC and DC have fire arm and hand gun bans though. This is not the case in the south.

It might be illegal, but, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'm not referring to other big cities, esp northern cities that tend to have stricter conceal/carry and other gun laws, not stand your ground states or take gun to work states, etc, they may/may not have similar laws... I'm thinking cities like Miami, NO, Atlanta, Memphis, St. Louis, etc... you would not get out of your car and start yelling at somebody there unless you want to deal with possible repercussions.
Didn't know that gun ownership would affect culture that much, sounds a bit crazed to me. I'd guess Boston's gun laws would be similar, though maybe not quite as strict. Vermont is a concealed carry state*

*Vermont has no laws on concealed carry, so it's legal for all gun owners. Still don't think you'd worry if about getting shot if you act like an aggressive idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 04:37 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
I've seen people pull out guns numerous times in Florida.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:41 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Boston much Smaller, safer, less urban,less affrican American ,more refined than Nyc,Chi,Philadlephia. Boston lacks the edge the larger cities have.

Bostons peers are "African American challenged" cities like Sf Sea,Den
So explain why is a city, being "African American challenged", more refined?

Does the absence of black people in the city, mean that it is more refined?

Please explain. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Didn't know that gun ownership would affect culture that much, sounds a bit crazed to me.
If you grew up on Long Island, then I could see how none of this would make any sense to you.

In other parts of the country, Duck Dynasty is a big deal. A really big deal. Under Armour is making serious money off of their Duck Dynasty collection in the suburbs and exurbs of major cities in the South, Midwest, the West and even the Northeast. In a lot of places, I could walk into a sporting goods store, purchase a .22, load up on ammo, and then go back in the afternoon and purchase more ammo. And when you go out to eat at the local Shoney's, Golden Corral, Ponderosa, etc., you will sometimes see entire families dressed in hunting camouflage.

Season 1 - Episode 4: AWA Whitetail Pro Series (Outdoor Channel) - YouTube

Old 02-12-2014, 04:46 PM

Yeah I don't think the NE has big gun culture at all... esp NY and Boston... go over into Central PA or WV that are very close... big gun culture there. Lots of people somewhat casually own guns and carry them.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:11 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah I don't think the NE has big gun culture at all... esp NY and Boston... go over into Central PA or WV that are very close... big gun culture there. Lots of people somewhat casually own guns and carry them.
Not to get too off-topic here, but in addition to Central PA, many don't realize that gun ownership is also relatively common in Northern New England (i.e., NH, VT and ME). Upstate NY is also not exactly devoid of gun enthusiasts.

Guns are DEFINITELY more of a rural vs. urban phenomenon as opposed to regional.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Not to get too off-topic here, but in addition to Central PA, many don't realize that gun ownership is also relatively common in Northern New England (i.e., NH, VT and ME). Upstate NY is also not exactly devoid of gun enthusiasts.

Guns are DEFINITELY more of a rural vs. urban phenomenon as opposed to regional.
Yes, but as far as I know, many of the major northern cities have some time of hand gun bans you don't see in big cities in the south. All of them are dominant red states at the state level, even if they go blue in national elections sometimes like NC or FL.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:21 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
There's some truth to that but it's not completely true. Yes, gun control tends to be tighter in nearly all core cities, but the intensity of gun support/opposition certainly varies by region. Taking a hardline position against guns would play very differently in a local race in the Boston suburbs than it would in the Houston suburbs.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:27 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's some truth to that but it's not completely true. Yes, gun control tends to be tighter in nearly all core cities, but the intensity of gun support/opposition certainly varies by region. Taking a hardline position against guns would play very differently in a local race in the Boston suburbs than it would in the Houston suburbs.
Yes, that would likely yield different results, but part of that is because of historic differences in built environment. Houston has only MUCH more recently begun to urbanize -- with time a similar mindset will set in.

I think people are much more likely to support gun restrictions if they're literally steps away from their potentially gun-owning neighbors, as opposed to miles away from the nearest person.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
However, the fact that Vermont has no laws restricting carrying a gun or few gun control laws while it's one of the most if not the most Democratic states in the country suggesting something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City