Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 12:42 PM

109 posts, read 237,775 times

Advertisements

Chicagoans (actually just Southsiders) are not like people in Philly, Boston, NYC, or ever Northsiders. We're strong and prideful but more humble, we don't feel like or talk like we are cocky like the Northside or talk like we are the best but at the same time we feel like there is no one like us including the Northside. We don't live with the rest of the city, the rest of the city lives with us, there is no Northside, only the Southside and the "other sides" and when we walk in a room with Northsiders we command respect off persona alone. What I mean by that, is that out of everyone listed (Philly, Boston, NYC, etc) nobody cares less about the rest of the city around them than we do and nobody has a "city within a city" mentality like we do. Growing up, I may have seen Wrigley Field in person maybe three times growing up, and the same is the case with many of us and we're proud of it, to not know or care what others are doing across town or outside the region. What they do or have up there (Northside) is not our concern. We have the Midwest humbleness, but a Southsider's logic, which is why out of all the subsections of all the cities in the US, we represent our's more than anyone. But the difference between us and Bostonians, New Yorkers, and Philadelphians is that Southsiders aren't cocky about it, wont tell you how good we are. There are 1,000,000 people on the Southside alone, what else is there in America to think about when all we think about is ourselves? Yet we manage to stay humble throughout it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 12:45 PM

31,860 posts, read 34,362,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
nobody has a "city within a city" mentality like we do.
Brooklyn has a "city within a city mentality." We used to be a city. We even have our own museum and professional sports team. The Brooklyn Museum is actually older than Chicago's Field Museum.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:17 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,979,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
Chicagoans (actually just Southsiders) are not like people in Philly, Boston, NYC, or ever Northsiders. We're strong and prideful but more humble, we don't feel like or talk like we are cocky like the Northside or talk like we are the best but at the same time we feel like there is no one like us including the Northside. We don't live with the rest of the city, the rest of the city lives with us, there is no Northside, only the Southside and the "other sides" and when we walk in a room with Northsiders we command respect off persona alone. What I mean by that, is that out of everyone listed (Philly, Boston, NYC, etc) nobody cares less about the rest of the city around them than we do and nobody has a "city within a city" mentality like we do. Growing up, I may have seen Wrigley Field in person maybe three times growing up, and the same is the case with many of us and we're proud of it, to not know or care what others are doing across town or outside the region. What they do or have up there (Northside) is not our concern. We have the Midwest humbleness, but a Southsider's logic, which is why out of all the subsections of all the cities in the US, we represent our's more than anyone. But the difference between us and Bostonians, New Yorkers, and Philadelphians is that Southsiders aren't cocky about it, wont tell you how good we are. There are 1,000,000 people on the Southside alone, what else is there in America to think about when all we think about is ourselves? Yet we manage to stay humble throughout it all.
People, as a South Sider myself I can assure you this is the most generalized crock of s h i t I have ever read. This man has obviously never met anyone from the Northeast to make such ridiculous generalities. He has an air of arrogance despite the fact he claims humility. His whole post contradicts his entire premise.

Like I said before. Chicagoans have no extra humility that Northeasterners don't have simply because the body of water we are close to is not an ocean. Clearly by this poster above, you can see Chicago arrogance and bragadoccio through and through.

Also, speak for yourself about Wrigley. As if all South Side people are Sox fans.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
actually there are as many Irish as Italians in the traditional NE cities

to me Irish and Italian is the commonality

also the pols in the Philly area are also largely jewish
by percentage, Italians in Chicago aren't very prominent sadly

Old 08-25-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Brooklyn has a "city within a city mentality." We used to be a city. We even have our own museum and professional sports team. The Brooklyn Museum is actually older than Chicago's Field Museum.
Ignore his drivel. He talks about how "humble" Chicago people are while simultaneously disusing three cities as if they are all the same.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:28 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,763,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
by percentage, Italians in Chicago aren't very prominent sadly
In terms of percentages that is true. In terms of raw numbers, Chicago at one time had the 3rd largest Italian American population (behind NYC and Philly) according to old data (1990) from the National Italian American Foundation. Not sure how accurate that is or what the current figures are, but in terms of just raw population numbers, I would guess that Chicago is still near the top. You are right, that by percentages, Chicago is definitely below the other 3 cities.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
In terms of percentages that is true. In terms of raw numbers, Chicago at one time had the 3rd largest Italian American population (behind NYC and Philly) according to old data (1990) from the National Italian American Foundation. Not sure how accurate that is or what the current figures are, but in terms of just raw population numbers, I would guess that Chicago is still near the top. You are right, that by percentages, Chicago is definitely below the other 3 cities.
Chicago is neck and neck with Los Angeles at the moment.

New York - 575,269
Philadelphia - 121,493
Chicago - 105,464
Los Angeles - 103,421

NYC and Philly have seen steep declines since 2000. The Italian populations in Chicago and Los Angeles have ticked up slightly since 2000.

New York - 692,739
Philadelphia - 140,139
Chicago - 101,903
Los Angeles - 95,263

Old 08-25-2016, 01:56 PM

I wish there more Italian ladies in Chicago but at least there's more than in Louisville where it's either basic White girls (or Southern belle attempts on the East Side).

I miss European diversity of the North.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Where the hell did they go? Not the suburbs. I know because two suburbs Elmwood Park and Chicago Heights at one point were the pinnacle of Italian enclaves but nowadays you have to look hard to find Chicago Italians. Maybe Northwest Indiana houses them? But even that is difficult to believe as I have barely met any and the numbers don't seem to be there.

It's definitely a far cry from South Philly.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Like I said before. Chicagoans have no extra humility that Northeasterners don't have simply because the body of water we are close to is not an ocean. Clearly by this poster above, you can see Chicago arrogance and bragadoccio through and through.
How many cities other than New York are really known for braggadocio and cockiness? Philly is known as a generally rude and abrasive place, but it's not allegedly full of so-called hot shots like New York. Donald Trump may be an extreme case but he sort of personifies many of the characteristics that people associate with New York.

New York doesn't have many of the tough personalities people may have been led to believe exist here based on movies set in the 60s, 70s and 80s. The hallmark of a modern-day New Yorker is walking into traffic while plugging away on Snapchat.

You will get more of that "attytood" in Philly where boxing is still a strong part of the culture within the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City