Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the 3 would you rather live in?
Houston 25 20.66%
LA 73 60.33%
Miami 23 19.01%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:05 AM

56 posts, read 71,446 times

Advertisements

Miami is the better sports city. We have football and hockey! ;P

The Marlins rebuilding thru draft was brilliant and Dolphins inked quality FA's off season. We are playoff bound!! We have hosted more superbowls than any other city. When the US has the Olympics again mark my words it will be in south beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 06:27 AM

572 posts, read 708,441 times
Better sports city, how? And LA has 2 hockey teams.

Don't the Dolphins struggle with attendance/black outs? I know the Marlins do. Jeesh. Nobody shows up at those games. Before Lebron came, Miami Heat has a lot of empty seats too.

Bottom line, Miami is not known as a sports town with rabid sports fans.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:31 AM

Just googled it. Dolphins have worst attendance in NFL.

Marlins attendance is so bad the team has closed off the Upper Deck sections. Lol. Didn't you just build these stadiums?

Those tax payers must be pissed.

Oh and you're Hockey team is in the bottom 7. Miami is the worst sports town on earth. And I don't wanna hear excuses about the beach. If you can't get 20,000 people to a game with a metro area of 6 million, that's a joke.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:29 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Miami is, by far, the worst sports town of the three. Outside the Heat, the attendence among the other teams is putrid.

Houston is the least urban city of the three, but I would rather live in it than the others. I grew up in the LA area and its just too expensive now. Outside the weather, Miami is one of my least favorite cities in the country. Houston has a good bang for your buck with excellent ammenities even if it isnt that urban.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:07 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Miami is, by far, the worst sports town of the three. Outside the Heat, the attendence among the other teams is putrid.
I am not so sure about that. The Texans are new and have had little success, there is no Hockey team, there is no power house conference college team, and the Astros have been worse than the Marlins. In percentage of the stadium the Astors have worse attendance than the Marlins. The Rockets had good years in the 1990s and now are back at it again but their crowds are nothing stellar same with the Astros. Rockets attendance is good this year but still not at the level of the Heat. Even if you go back to 2001-2004 years the Heat had a few bad years and Rockets were not great either Heat still had better attendance since 2001 I only found one year the Rockets had better attendance than the Heat. So actually

If you want to talk about team success and the variety of sports Miami beats Houston by a very large margin. So, I don't know. It is pretty close if you ask me, and it is clear Miami has a more variety of teams to watch.

Here is the Miami Sports fan thing again. The Heat have plenty of good fans. Miami is so different than other cities because it is such a transplant city and so many people here were born in other countries or states and they are still loyal to their teams from NY or Boston and Chicago. The teams down here are young besides for the Dolphins and it takes time to build tradition which the Heat are certainly doing now.

But at the same time in cities like Chicago and Boston people show up pretty well even when the team sucks. Honestly that is pretty dumb if you ask me unless you are a die hard fan of that sport, (not just the team). Why spend your money on a poor product and waste your energy worrying about a poor product. That is like going to the movies paying $12 to see a movie you already know 100% is bad. But I love basketball in general. I would rather watch the Bobcats play the Kings than watch a great MLB game. So I do always got o the Heat games. But when the Dolphins and Marlins suck I almost never go. That is the type of city Miami is. Each sport has their own group of dedicated fans and the rest save their time, money and energy for when the teams are good.

Miami is a fair weather sports town. If the team is not winning people don't want to spend their money which IMO makes perfect sense. Besides for the Heat. (I am a HUGE Heat fan, been going to games since I was 7 years old in the 90s) I usually don't go to those teams either, unless they are playing well. Why waste my money to watch a poor product.

But it is not as bad as most people think especially the Dolphins and Heat. The Dolphins have a fairly dedicated fan base and attendance has been poor only the past 2-4 years. You will see Dolphins fans all over the country. It is a historical franchise and even if they are somewhat competing there is good support for them. The problem is the past decade has been a failure for the Dolphins. I remember going to games in the late 90s and even early 2000s. Every game was sold out, loud as can be. Those were fun games. Hopefully they can make the right improvements to bring that back.

As for the Heat, they have never had attendance problems even in the bad years in the early 2000s. Really there have not been many poor performing years for the Heat. It is a fantastic organization and the fans get a bad rap because A. There are a lot of Heat fans outside of Miami who are not real fans, just like the Bulls and Lakers have or had in the past and B. When its popular to go to things in Miami they become expensive, so on TV you don't see a lot of the real fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
Better sports city, how? And LA has 2 hockey teams.

Don't the Dolphins struggle with attendance/black outs? I know the Marlins do. Jeesh. Nobody shows up at those games. Before Lebron came, Miami Heat has a lot of empty seats too.

Bottom line, Miami is not known as a sports town with rabid sports fans.
Dolphins have not had a blackout in over a decade or even more I believe. There are no blackouts in the MLB but yes Marlins attendance is horrible.

Quote:
Just googled it. Dolphins have worst attendance in NFL.

Marlins attendance is so bad the team has closed off the Upper Deck sections. Lol. Didn't you just build these stadiums?

Those tax payers must be pissed.

Oh and you're Hockey team is in the bottom 7. Miami is the worst sports town on earth. And I don't wanna hear excuses about the beach. If you can't get 20,000 people to a game with a metro area of 6 million, that's a joke.
Marlins stadium is new. The AAA arena, Sun Life stadium for the Dolphins and BB&T for the Panthers were all built in the 1990s with BB&T and AAA late 90s Sun Life late 80s. The Miami sports crowd is a complicated one but one which IMO is getting better with time. But it really is simple, put a good product on the floor, filed, even the ice and fans will show up. I don't see what is so crazy about not spending money on a bad product.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 AM

Yea, the Dolphins have won since...72? Went last to the Super Bowl in 84? 40 and 30 years ago?

Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Yea, the Dolphins have won since...72? Went last to the Super Bowl in 84? 40 and 30 years ago?
Lol drinking the koolaid. Dial back when LA gets football. Miami is the football capital of the world. Friday night HS football games are packed. Worlds best basketball player had the choice to play for NY, Chicago, LA, Cleveland but he brought 2 championships to MIA.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:20 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,075 times
To be honest, a lot Florida sports fans like to lean towards college teams and local HS games. This is especially the case in Florida's black communities

Old 01-16-2014, 11:20 AM

Sporting news LA and Miami rank the same but the approval to Miami for having pro football.

Best Sports Cities: The list from 1 to 271 - Sporting News

Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599MIA View Post
Lol drinking the koolaid. Dial back when LA gets football. Miami is the football capital of the world. Friday night HS football games are packed. Worlds best basketball player had the choice to play for NY, Chicago, LA, Cleveland but he brought 2 championships to MIA.
Dial back when you get some fans in your seats outside of Heat games. Marlins is embarrassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City