Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:53 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
San Francisco is not in your top 10? Why not?
Honorable mentions.

[10] Honolulu
[11] Boston
[12] Houston and Dallas [tie]
[13] Los Angeles
[14] Atlanta
[15] Bay Area (including Sacramento)

Could only be happiest in the first nine though. Wouldn't live in any of these I listed in this post but do like them all, quite a lot actually. Way too much on the family side of things for me to handle being optimally happy in the Bay Area. Plus, I'm not as into their premier city as I used to be but Palo Alto is incredible though.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 01-16-2014 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 04:49 PM

215 posts, read 379,028 times
In no order my top 10 would be....

New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Toronto
Washington DC
San Francisco
Philadelphia
Boston
Montreal
Las Vegas

I would love to live in 8 out of the 10. The 2 exceptions are Montreal and Vegas.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:56 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
New York City
Boston
Cleveland
Atlanta
New Orleans
Minneapolis

I haven't been to many cities West of the Mississippi, so I think I'll leave my list at that.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:19 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,104 times
Vancouver
Seattle
San Diego
Albuquerque
Las Cruces
Chicago
Toronto
Denver
Calgary
Salt Lake City

Old 01-18-2014, 08:34 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
In no order:

Philly
SF
NYC
Chicago
Montreal
Quebec City
Vancouver
Boston
New Orleans
Toronto

Old 01-19-2014, 10:10 AM

669 posts, read 915,469 times
New York
Montreal
Boston
Toronto
Seattle
Pittsburgh
Portland
Fort Lauderdale
San Francisco
Tampa

I am too lazy to go into reasons so I am skipping that part.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
I always think it's silly when people rate Vancouver so highly but don't include Seattle. If you have been to both there offer most of the same things except I think over the past decade Vancouver has become alot more "artificial" in a sense. Both great cities but I don't know how one could say Vancouver is superior.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:53 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I always think it's silly when people rate Vancouver so highly but don't include Seattle. If you have been to both there offer most of the same things except I think over the past decade Vancouver has become alot more "artificial" in a sense. Both great cities but I don't know how one could say Vancouver is superior.
When I lived in Seattle and first set foot in Vancouver it just seemed a little more cosmopolitan, way more dense and laid out quite different from Seattle. Even the setting seemed more dramatic with the mountains much closer to the city.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,792 times
chicago
new york
San Francisco
memphis
New Orleans
Seattle
Washington DC
San Diego
philadelphia
miami
I also like St.Louis, Ft Myers, Myrtle Beach, San Antonio, Oakland, Atlanta, and "Detroit." Ya, i said it. I know it looks like its been in a war, but when I visit I always have a good time, enjoy the people and traditions, and something is beautiful about that city. It's very raw and real....

Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 AM

349 posts, read 573,136 times
Vancouver is better laid out for visitors, its more centralized, you can walk uninterrupted from downtown to its major neighborhoods, or catch Skytrain, which is extremely modern and fast. Its park system and paths right in the middle of the city is the only city I've visited that surpasses Chicago's. Plus as PWright said, it has that setting.

I visited both Seattle and Vancouver the first time years ago on a combination trip. Seattle seemed to be a bit more inaccessible. I think because its the nature of being an industrial city, and having no rapid transit (back then). However, after visiting and getting around the numerous districts of Seattle more, I came to appreciate what it has. Its kind of like LA in that fashion, except for the strong downtown. I wouldn't mind living there, especially when they get the light rail running. Vancouver seems like its either rich like a boutique city, Chinese or consisting of fringe neighborhoods with drug addicts. I don't have a problem with Chinese, but since I don't speak the language, I don't fit in. I only found a couple of areas that were more in the middle, like Commercial Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City