Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:43 PM

335 posts, read 974,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Montreal
NYC
Philadelphia
Seattle
Chicago
Quebec City
Toronto
Boston
Miami
Honolulu
Winner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 10:39 PM
AV8

17 posts, read 18,002 times
In no particular order:

New York City
San Francisco
Vancouver
San Diego
Charleston SC
Las Vegas
Seattle
Montreal
Portland ME
Boston

Old 01-05-2016, 10:44 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
For me:

NYC
Chicago
Philadelphia
Montreal
Boston
Toronto
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Miami
Vancouver

Old 01-06-2016, 01:51 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Top 10 Geographic order:

Seattle
Oakland
San Diego
New Orleans
Chicago
Cleveland
Toronto
Philadelphia
New York (mainly Brooklyn/Queens)
Boston

Some notables I still need to visit: Montreal, Portland, Atlanta, Miami, Baltimore, Minneapolis/St.Paul, St Louis, anywhere in Texas

Old 01-06-2016, 05:22 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,380,546 times
Here is my top 10:
Not in order.
Chicago
Philadelphia
Washington DC
Charlotte
San Francisco
Austin
Denver
Boise, ID
Indianapolis
Miami

Old 01-06-2016, 10:40 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times
NYC
Philly
Chicago
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Miami
Boston
Honolulu
Atlanta

Old 01-06-2016, 11:58 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
Been a while since I did one of these, and the addition of Canada is intriguing.

1. New York: Does almost everything better than almost everyone else.
2. DC: I love the grandeur, the density, the public spaces, the feeling of importance.
3. Montreal: I've felt a little disappointed every time I've gone to Canada. Except when I went to Montreal.
4. Chicago: It's been two years since I've been there. That's too long.
5. Los Angeles: Like 20 great small cities in one.
6. Boston: The harbor, the history, the youth, the vibrancy.
7. New Orleans: It's going to be really hard for anyone to knock it out of No. 1 on my list of most fun cities in America.
8. Charleston: Gorgeous. Severely underrated food scene. Everything to like about the South.
9. Savannah: Like Charleston. Somewhat prettier but less of a city feel, therefore a notch lower.
10. Seattle: There's something I really love about the Pacific Northwest.

Could have been on this list but there were only 10 spots: Providence, Burlington, Portland (Maine), Austin, Miami, Philly

Want to include it because I love it there but I don't think it's big enough to qualify, even though it was on someone else's list: Newport

Didn't really like them when I visited but it's been a long time and I want to give them another chance: Toronto, Vancouver, Denver, San Diego

Forever excluded from these lists because I haven't been there since 1989 even though I want to put it there: San Francisco

Old 01-06-2016, 02:37 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,474 times
New York
Chicago
Toronto
Montreal
Santa Fe
Denver
Boston
Minneapolis
Seattle
St Louis

Old 01-09-2016, 01:22 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Washington, D.C.
Boston
New Orleans
Scottsdale
San Diego
New York City
Chicago
Montreal
Seattle
St. Louis

Old 02-28-2016, 04:29 PM

150 posts, read 215,205 times
01. Toronto - It's the most balanced and well-versed city in North America and it isn't even close. Don't even bother trying to argue this fact. It's not too much of anything, but it has something for everyone. It's not East Coast, it's not Mid-West, it's not stereotypical Canadian. It's undefined. It's big, clean, safe, and exciting. It's politically important. It's financially and economical important. It's culturally important.

You can choose the dense urbanity of Toronto city proper, or one of the safe and wealthy sprawled out suburbs like Mississauga, Oakville, or Markham. It's why I choose to live here and no where else these days. It's why it's one of the fastest growing metros among OECD nations.

02. New York - Probably the most important city in the world with London and Tokyo trailing just behind. It's massive and the beacon for finance and culture.

You feel like a somebody just by living there. That's a unique trait. Everyone should live here at least once, even if it's just for a few months.

03. Boston - I've always had this fascination with Boston. I love the dichotomy between the blue-collar history, and the super white-collar present and future. Many of the world's best universities are in and around Boston -- extremely educated and interesting populous. Loads of character as well. Probably the most historically important city in North America.

04. San Francisco/Bay Area - Basically the Boston of the West Coast. Whenever you have an extremely educated and wealthy population, good things naturally follow. Again, loads of unique character in this city.

05. Chicago - I visit Chicago maybe once every two years or so. It's kind of like Toronto but with more balls (and I mean that in both and bad ways). The architecture is just one of a kind. Just so many beautiful buildings from the 1900-1950s that still stand today. It's a fun and lively city with a great professional sports tradition. The Mid-West charm is real.

It's probably the only city on this list that I couldn't live long term, though. It's just too dangerous these days, and while it's a very big metro, as a white male, much of this city is off-limits to me after dark. This kind of makes Chicago feel smaller to me than it really is. Some areas are simply "no go areas" for someone like me.

The other 5 cities are just the typical cities that I've stayed in a few days and enjoyed i.e., Montreal, LA, Vancouver, Miami, and Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City