Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fort Lauderdale, Florida or Portland, Maine? Which city would you rather live in?
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 12 70.59%
Portland, Maine 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:44 AM

309 posts, read 760,073 times

Advertisements

These are both two great places yet both are very different. Which place would you rather live in? Here is some criteria below :

Which has the better weather?
Which has the more friendly people?
Which has the better food?
Which has the better quality of life?
Which is better for a single person?
Which has the better economy?
Which is more affordable?
Which one is more walkable?

Which is worse, winter in Portland or summer in Fort Lauderdale?

Which is better, winter in Fort Lauderdale or summer in Portland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 04:57 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007jamesbond View Post
These are both two great places yet both are very different. Which place would you rather live in? Here is some criteria below :

Which has the better weather? Fort Lauderdale, hands down.
Which has the more friendly people? Probably Portland, but Mainers are a rather inclusive bunch--they make it known you're "from away" if you're not a native. Then again, people just about anywhere else are friendlier than people in South Florida, which is home to arguably the worst quality of people in the entire nation, save, perhaps, the Los Angeles area.
Which has the better food? Fort Lauderdale is home to world-class dining.
Which has the better quality of life? Fort Lauderdale, because IMO, QOL is largely related to weather, and I detest cold weather.
Which is better for a single person? Fort Lauderdale, which is a no-brainer, seeing as how it's located in a region with some of the most renowned nightlife in the entire world.
Which has the better economy? Fort Lauderdale, mostly because it's a larger city located in the center of a very large metropolitan area. This is not really a fair comparison, IMO, because Fort Lauderdale is so much bigger than Portland. However, neither has a good economy when stacked up against their peers.
Which is more affordable? Portland.
Which one is more walkable? This is the silliest question yet.

Which is worse, winter in Portland or summer in Fort Lauderdale? Subjective. For me, Portland in the winter. The summertime heat and humidity in South Florida are nuisances whereas winter in Portland is simply crippling and debilitating.

Which is better, winter in Fort Lauderdale or summer in Portland? Winter in Fort Lauderdale is very hard to beat, and I'm speaking from experience. I've spent many a July 4th south of Portland in Oqunquit, Kennebunkport, and Old Orchard Beach, and summer in Maine is so cool that it is rather unenjoyable, at least for me. I hate cool weather, especially in the summertime. Again, subjective.
My responses in bold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City