Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state do you think is the most beautiful?
Alabama 2 1.00%
Alaska 12 6.00%
Arizona 3 1.50%
Arkansas 2 1.00%
California 56 28.00%
Colorado 10 5.00%
Connecticut 1 0.50%
Delaware 0 0%
Florida 6 3.00%
Georgia 5 2.50%
Hawaii 13 6.50%
Idaho 4 2.00%
Illinois 1 0.50%
Indiana 0 0%
Iowa 0 0%
Kansas 0 0%
Kentucky 0 0%
Louisiana 0 0%
Maine 4 2.00%
Maryland 1 0.50%
Massachusetts 3 1.50%
Michigan 6 3.00%
Minnisota 1 0.50%
Mississippi 1 0.50%
Missouri 3 1.50%
Montana 3 1.50%
Nebraska 1 0.50%
Nevada 1 0.50%
New Hampshire 1 0.50%
NewJersey 1 0.50%
New Mexico 2 1.00%
New York 6 3.00%
North Carolina 7 3.50%
North Dakota 0 0%
Ohio 4 2.00%
Oklahoma 0 0%
Oregon 3 1.50%
Pennsylvania 2 1.00%
Rhode Island 0 0%
South Carolina 4 2.00%
South Dakota 0 0%
Tennessee 4 2.00%
Texas 2 1.00%
Utah 3 1.50%
Vermont 3 1.50%
Virginia 2 1.00%
Washington 15 7.50%
West Virginia 0 0%
Wisconsin 0 0%
Wyoming 2 1.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,754 times

Advertisements

Hawaii, California, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Florida, Michigan, Vermont, North Carolina, South Carolina, Maine, Tennessee, West Virginia, Utah, New York, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Arizona, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Wyoming, Delaware, Texas, Connecticut, Louisiana, Georgia, New Jersey, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, New Mexico, Rhode Island, North Dakota, New Hampshire, Missouri, Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois, Nevada, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 11:02 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
For urban and rural, man made and natural, scenic and varied, California uber alles.

Washington, Colorado, Hawaii, Alaska and others have amazing natural assets. New York, Illinois, Texas, Pennsylvania, Georgia and others boast amazing built environments.

Nobody puts it all together like California. It is simply unmatched.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:18 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,342 times
Arizona is definitely up there. imo #1. Not on this forum tho, arizona is bashed religiously.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:30 PM

32 posts, read 46,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
Not on this forum tho, arizona is bashed religiously.
Why do you care? If you're happy in AZ then who are they to tell you otherwise? Its envy.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:50 PM

169 posts, read 293,959 times
What exactly is the point of this post? Frankly speaking dare I say it I understand America is a land of a million plus landscapes but once you live within an urban area and most of us do America looks very similar from coast to coast, north to south, east to west. I mean go on google maps and position the satellite over any city with a population over 30,000 you will see a highway or major road running through the middle of the city (with ugly power lines on either side) and malls and shopping centers on each side. Most of which will be American chain restaurants or stores. Stay downtown you will see larger buildings, sky scrapers if any with all the government buildings, leave the center and you will see quaint homes on 1/4 acre lots for as far as the eye can see. Yes ok the east coast is older and there tends to not be a street pattern (which I like) the west tends to be planned communities with streets that look like geometric shapes (not so fond).
Anyway, again what i just described is the way the vast majority of Americans live. Granted the landscape around cities may vary region to region but even if you live 15 miles from the grand canyon, are you really going to go see it every day??? NO!!! You are gonna get in your car, drive to your job and come home and go out on occasion. Our American lives revolve around URBAN SPRAWL and it seems we only use mountains, lakes, beaches, and scenery when we need to defend our state in silly posts like this one. Trust me EVERY STATE has a beautiful site to see so since the American Experience is almost ubiquitous throughout the 50 states why do we have to pit the states against one another? And please don't respond back saying "my state has the tallest mountain, deepest sea, longest river" Please you don't spend 1/20th as much time in any one of those places as you do your nearest olive garden, walmart, and bed bath and beyond. Now that's M'urica!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:57 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
What exactly is the point of this post? Frankly speaking dare I say it I understand America is a land of a million plus landscapes but once you live within an urban area and most of us do America looks very similar from coast to coast, north to south, east to west. I mean go on google maps and position the satellite over any city with a population over 30,000 you will see a highway or major road running through the middle of the city (with ugly power lines on either side) and malls and shopping centers on each side. Most of which will be American chain restaurants or stores. Stay downtown you will see larger buildings, sky scrapers if any with all the government buildings, leave the center and you will see quaint homes on 1/4 acre lots for as far as the eye can see. Yes ok the east coast is older and there tends to not be a street pattern (which I like) the west tends to be planned communities with streets that look like geometric shapes (not so fond).
Anyway, again what i just described is the way the vast majority of Americans live. Granted the landscape around cities may vary region to region but even if you live 15 miles from the grand canyon, are you really going to go see it every day??? NO!!! You are gonna get in your car, drive to your job and come home and go out on occasion. Our American lives revolve around URBAN SPRAWL and it seems we only use mountains, lakes, beaches, and scenery when we need to defend our state in silly posts like this one. Trust me EVERY STATE has a beautiful site to see so since the American Experience is almost ubiquitous throughout the 50 states why do we have to pit the states against one another? And please don't respond back saying "my state has the tallest mountain, deepest sea, longest river" Please you don't spend 1/20th as much time in any one of those places as you do your nearest olive garden, walmart, and bed bath and beyond. Now that's M'urica!
I know what you're drving at, and agree to a limited extent. However, it's a bit too broad. Personally, I either walk, bike or yoga the beach 4-5 times a week, hike local foothills, peninsula and/or mountains 2-3 times every month, and I marvel at all those features every stinking day. I make a point to visit other regional places of natural wonder many times of the year. It's a function of priority and opportunity, and I know I'm not alone.

And I've never stepped foot in a Wal Mart, it's been 20 years since my last OG breadstick. I did hit a BB&B about 7 years ago in a last minute Christmas panic.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:10 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Why even have a poll? California is clearly number one. It is the most breathtaking state. No contest.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:28 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Why even have a poll? California is clearly number one. It is the most breathtaking state. No contest.
3/4 of the respondents think not

Old 02-21-2014, 11:42 AM

169 posts, read 293,959 times
In response to the:

I say contest, that is your opinion. I will not say that California doesn't have some beautiful scenery but it is really the prettiest? Many people will tell you the mountains of Colorado and Alaska are prettier than those of California. As far as beaches go most will tell you the best can be found in Hawaii or Florida (and Florida's water temp can be nearly 20 degrees warmer than California's) so you can enjoy it anytime of year sans wetsuit. As far as deserts go many have described the drive from LA to LV "the most boring drive in America" whereas the desert scenery almost anywhere in Arizona is awesome.

In terms of architecture well anywhere on the East Coast will win that bet. NYC has the tallest, most ornate, and prominent skyscrapers and maybe the only place in Americas whose Cathedrals can rival those of Europe. Also, except for Hearst Castle the Gilded Age never arrived in California even the most expensive estates in California pale in comparison to those found at Newport Rhode Island and even the Somerset Hills in NJ.
Finally, (and not to sound like a California basher I do indeed like it there just would never say it is number 1) but I was shocked about the scarcity of actual property you get with a home in California. Again even in the wealthiest areas in California I was shocked to see how close the homes were to one another and even to the main road. Just position google earth over the Hollywood Hills, Calabasas, La Jolla and it looks like those jumbo home are literally on top of one another. Then position Google Earth over Sands Point NY, Greenwich CT, Saddle River, Alpine, (or anywhere in Somerset county) NJ and see how on the East Coast you get the grounds to match the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City