Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I never liked the GaWC system, even with NYC at the top. I am not sure but I think from past GaWC threads that I thought they put too much emphasis on International communications. I do not remember why but I think I noticed that there seemed to be an advantage for European cities and a disadvantage to cities in large countries like the USA, China, India, Russia, Canada, Brazil etc.. In other words, I thought it was overemphasizing international but not internal trade, which the larger countries have a lot of.

And now if what your saying is true - that they measure a cities communications to London (or for that matter any other one city only), well that explains alot. Very disappointing actually.
Yeah, it's true.

The public statement was released by P.J. Taylor himself, the guy who invented the Alpha-Beta-Gamma stratas in GaWC. He published it at the turn of the new millennium for the first time, it became an instantly popular index people, mainly bloggers would use to cite in reference to their cities. However, P.J. Taylor cleared up that people have been interpreting his stratas incorrectly. His ranking is NOT nor has ever been intended to be a ranking of the world's most prominent/powerful/important cities, but merely stratas for the level of interconnectivity (intensive/extensive) world cities have to London, by number of firms from particular financial or law institutions.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ap-image-5.bmp

They don't really have any other criteria. So things like government, energy, tech, entertainment, logistics, they aren't weighted. It's the firms, which is why you'll see smaller European cities (like Frankfurt, Zurich, Geneva, Stockholm, so on) beat out American cities or other cities. It's more than likely they have a higher per capita concentration of firms with links into London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 PM

650 posts, read 1,630,259 times
Miami is like the goodlooking tall, athletic dude, thats endowed, and gets all the pretty girls but is dumb as he\_\_. Houston is the like nerdy "nice" dude that has been friendzoned numerous times by women who always cry to him about how much of a jerk Miami is.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The wealth gap in Miami is insane. So basically, Miami got to an Alpha- status, based on Cocaine distribution, and partly film, and partly small Latin-American banks in which many of the big time dealers in Columbia, can stuff all their cash in. Pretty impressive considering how young Miami is, and how it had no economic base, especially before the late-70's, when it was basically a giant retirement resort next to a giant swamp. Pretty impressive for a city as poor as it is, and considering how no one speaks English, and the educational attainment of the citizens is really, really, low. Miami truly is the Magic City. Really, no city has any excuse not to progress in to a global city, because if Miami can do, ANY city can do it, considering how little connections Miami had before the 80's.
Not really.

Miami became an Alpha world city because London has 11 satellite firms in Miami. I actually like Foreign Policy more, they actually attempt to define cities in prominence based off a combination of how much the cities excel in environmental, economical, social, diplomatic, or governmental categories.

This Alpha-Beta-Gamma stuff is fairy tale nonsense.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:56 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Same stuff, different architecture and landscape. Philly definitely has its own quirks that it needs to work out, but it still remains stable in many of its surrounding areas to the point that the average income remains high and poverty levels of the metro are relatively low compared to even the Dallas, Chicago and NYC metros. On the other hand, SFL (or all of Florida) is going to continue receiving an influx of more people and all of SEFL is going to be a giant sprawl of dilapidated trailers, cheap stucco houses, etc. etc. just so people can come and soak up that special sunshine that has helped Florida grow. It's bad enough that poverty levels are already high and if people aren't in poverty, they're close to it. So in many ways, I can see how Miami, if not already, will be a USA version of Rio, with large amount of poor people throughout the whole inner region and super duper luxurious condos along the coast.
I don't even know how to reply to this one. Your post has some truths, and some hyperbole. Either way I suggest anyone from up North stay out of South Florida, lest they want to be kidnapped and shot.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Not really.

Miami became an Alpha world city because London has 11 satellite firms in Miami. I actually like Foreign Policy more, they actually attempt to define cities in prominence based off a combination of how much the cities excel in environmental, economical, social, diplomatic, or governmental categories.

This Alpha-Beta-Gamma stuff is fairy tale nonsense.
Because of GaWC making Miami look better than it is, I have to agree with you. I do believe Houston, and Dallas should be up there with Miami in the "Alpha-" category. Miami's ranked like number of 11, as far as per capita GDP for US METROS. That's pretty embarrassing. GaWC's rankings were inaccurate. Miami can't fool it's self. South Florida is trying though, especially when Scripps built a facility in Northern Palm Beach County. But America will be envious(or maybe won't care) when the Miami Heat win their 3rd consecutive NBA title.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:26 PM

Lord also said the whole state of Florida will fall under the same predicament as Miami, as far as income disparity goes, and Miami becoming the Rio of America. Central and Western Pennsylvania, while beautiful as far as mountains, hills, and natural scenery, isn't necessarily an area of growth or economic sustainability either. But I guess since most of the poor folks in those parts of PA are WHITE , they won't be given the same "3rd world" label as South Floridians, and their swarthy skin, and dreadlocks. I hope Miami does become the Rio of America, maybe it'll host an Olympics.

Last edited by polo89; 01-16-2014 at 05:44 PM..

Old 01-16-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Lord also said the whole state of Floria will fall under the same predicament as Miami, as far as income disparity goes, and Miami becoming the Rio of America. Central and Western Pennsylvania, while beautiful as far as mountains, hills, and natural scenery, isn't necessarily an area of growth or economic sustainability either. But I guess since most of the poor folks in those parts of PA are WHITE , they won't be given the same "3rd world" label as South Floridians, and their swarthy skin, and dreadlocks. I hope Miami does become the Rio of America, maybe it'll host an Olympics.
That's nonsense.

Even Detroit, as swamped into hard times as it's been, is infinitely more affluent than Rio de Janeiro, to say nothing of Miami.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:35 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Lord also said the whole state of Floria will fall under the same predicament as Miami, as far as income disparity goes, and Miami becoming the Rio of America. Central and Western Pennsylvania, while beautiful as far as mountains, hills, and natural scenery, isn't necessarily an area of growth or economic sustainability either. But I guess since most of the poor folks in those parts of PA are WHITE , they won't be given the same "3rd world" label as South Floridians, and their swarthy skin, and dreadlocks. I hope Miami does become the Rio of America, maybe it'll host an Olympics.
I can totally see Miami hosting an Olympic games. It would be great.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:36 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
It used to be that Miami was part of the "Big 4" Southern cities. It used to be Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami. Has Miami been kicked-out of that group? Is that group now a Big 3? I guess Miami has been knocked down a tier into the Tampa, Orlando, Charlotte tier of cities.
Well that's the way I see it. Not saying Miami is not a great city but the Miami area does not seem to me on the same level as Houston, Dallas or Atlanta areas. And definitely not equal to San Francisco and Boston or just below Chicago.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Miami is like the goodlooking tall, athletic dude, thats endowed, and gets all the pretty girls but is dumb as he\_\_. Houston is the like nerdy "nice" dude that has been friendzoned numerous times by women who always cry to him about how much of a jerk Miami is.
Yeah, pretty accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City