Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:53 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Not my favorite list either because there are flaws but going by this definition:
Quote:
alpha & alpha- cities Very important world cities that link major economic regions and states into the world economy
I'm interesting to see how Houston is not in this. It is a major economic city that is home to the headquarters of many energy corporations as either world headquarters or US headquarters. Just about every energy corporation has a presence in this city.

And yes this:
Quote:
alpha+ cities Other highly integrated cities that complement London and New York , largely filling in advanced service needs for the Pacific Asia
How is LA or SF not here? Does not LA complement NY and does it is not a very important piece providing service needs linking America to Pacific Asia?

Last edited by Spade; 01-14-2014 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 04:31 PM

283 posts, read 463,519 times
Every single Beta+ city is more important/better than Atlanta, and yet it is Alpha-. I just don't get it.... I really don't understand why Atlanta is so "important." It's got some nice things, but even it's nice things are mediocre when compared to its peers.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:06 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not everyone's favorite ranking(myself included) because in the past it's been based purely on satellite office locations for certain companies.

Anyway...

Here is the link
GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2012

Here are North American Cities and how they rank in order:

ALPHA CITIES
Alpha++
New York

Alpha+
None

Alpha
Chicago
Toronto
Los Angeles
Mexico City

Alpha-
San Francisco
Washington DC
Miami
Boston
Atlanta

-----------------------

BETA CITIES
Beta+
Dallas
Montreal
Philadephia
Houston

Beta
Vancouver

Beta-
Guatemala City
Panama City
San Jose(Costa Rica)
Minneapolis
Cleveland
Seattle
Detroit
Calgary
Denver
San Diego

--------------------------

GAMMA CITIES
Gamma+
Santo Domingo
St Louis
Baltimore
Phoenix
Charlotte
Tampa

Gamma
San Juan
Guadalajara
Raleigh
San Jose(USA)
Cincinnati
Milwaukee

Gamma-
Columbus
Orlando
Kansas City
Portland

----------------------------

High Sufficiency Cities
Indianapolis
Richmond
Tijuana
Austin
Nassau(Bahamas)
Tegucigalpa
Hartford
Edmonton
Salt Lake City
Ottawa

Sufficiency Cities
San Antonio
Nashville
Sacramento
Providence
Jacksonville
Puebla
Las Vegas
Birmingham
Memphis
Halifax
Ciudad Juarez
Winnipeg
Greensboro
Montpelier
New Orleans
Rocheser
Hamilton
Kingston
Des Moines
Madison
Baby when I looked and seent that Atlanta is still an Alpha world city and Houston and Dallas were not I realized at that moment when I thought about posting this that this ish would get real funky, real fast. So I didn't. All the Atlanta bashing in the world ain't gonna change the rankings but I know that don't mean a thang on CD.

So now what I want to know is, is it alright to say that Atlanta has arrived or are we still holding back until our other peers join our ranks?

My city ain't going no where but up!

Old 01-14-2014, 05:15 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Miami and Atlanta are higher ranked than Houston/Dallas? Uh...
Miami is a major financial and business center for Latin America. I can sort of see that making it pretty high. Atlanta I don't understand unless it has a lot to do with the airport (for interconnectivity). Houston is obviously the energy capital of the U.S. and Dallas is no slouch. I'd probably put them all at Beta+ with the possible exception of Miami.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:30 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan95 View Post
Every single Beta+ city is more important/better than Atlanta, and yet it is Alpha-. I just don't get it.... I really don't understand why Atlanta is so "important." It's got some nice things, but even it's nice things are mediocre when compared to its peers.
Boy you betta say that! Atlanta don't want it with no other similar sized metro in the United States. It better leave Philadelphia alone and go fight with Orlando. Us Atlantan's know our city is not great like its peers. We also ain't worried bout it either.

Now that I've acknowledged you, please do carry on. I live to see the simpleness of so many posters.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:55 PM

202 posts, read 320,049 times
This list makes no sense. Houston and Philadelphia should probably replace Miami and Atlanta.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Interesting shake-up in the Midwest. Minneapolis, Detroit, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Chicago all dropped, and... Cleveland rose... hmm, could there be something to this comeback us Clevelanders have been talking about lately?

Old 01-14-2014, 06:02 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,493 times
It's a stupid metric. Some obscure university in the UK made this metric to study business connectivity, and now it seems everyone wants to use it as a ranking of relative importance, which it was never intended to do.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Baby when I looked and seent that Atlanta is still an Alpha world city and Houston and Dallas were not I realized at that moment when I thought about posting this that this ish would get real funky, real fast. So I didn't. All the Atlanta bashing in the world ain't gonna change the rankings but I know that don't mean a thang on CD.

So now what I want to know is, is it alright to say that Atlanta has arrived or are we still holding back until our other peers join our ranks?

My city ain't going no where but up!
I love this post.

Atlanta is certainly an Alpha city in my book.

However, I do feel Dallas, Houston and Philly are as well and GaWC needs to tell us how they came to their conclusions because if points added up to a certain score, that's fine but their tiny print, extremely hard to grasp criteria seems deliberately presented so no one can understand their methodology.

Its funny cause their control and command cities ranking is comparatively very easy to get, sorta.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:21 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
I briefly read their paper, and it seems that they are judging cities based on what their calling "social connections" (i.e. economic connections) to other cities. In other words, their relative pull on the cities in their region and globally, in terms of economic contributions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City