Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 11:21 PM

233 posts, read 530,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
This is not an impressve list imo.Many cities have regional and evn international headquaters of different companies.
What about "headquarters" of a corporation where that are not branches?Not to mention Global 1000 companies?Most of those listed are not.
That's only a fraction and it's focus isn't narrow. Basically companies in any industry put their LatAm HQs in Miami for a whole continent with a market of over 400 million, not just AL, SC, MS, TN. Atlanta has more homegrown Fortune 500 companies, but most of them aren't major international players. South Florida will continue to benefit as American and European companies look to expand their presence in LatAm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 02:03 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
That's only a fraction and it's focus isn't narrow. Basically companies in any industry put their LatAm HQs in Miami for a whole continent with a market of over 400 million, not just AL, SC, MS, TN. Atlanta has more homegrown Fortune 500 companies, but most of them aren't major international players. South Florida will continue to benefit as American and European companies look to expand their presence in LatAm.
Are you kidding me?LOL!You must really know nothing about Atlanta to have made that crazy uninformed statement!

To name the most obvious:
UPS(I have a friend from Poland working for UPS in Atlanta and is about to be relocated to either Belgium or London working for them in a month.
Delta
Coca Cola
Newell-Rubbermaid
Mohawk Industries
CNN

Not even counting the numerous international Headquarters like Porshe North America

Sony-Ericsson moved its headquarters from Miami to Atlanta because of it accessibility of the airport.
Quote:
Anderson Teixeira, president of Sony Ericsson Region Americas, said: “Atlanta is an ideal location for Sony Ericsson’s new regional headquarters, and we look forward to immersing ourselves in this vibrant community. Access to impressive office space and a diverse pool of talent, combined with close proximity to AT&T, and easy access to Latin America, make Atlanta an obvious choice for relocation.
Apparently that is only beginning as some experts have noticed Atlanta getting its fair share of Latin America along with Miami and Houston:
Quote:
Just as Miami grew by being strategically located, we are now looking at Atlanta as having that same advantage.

A large part of Atlanta's success as a local, then regional, then national, and now international business center has revolved around its geographical location. Building on this location advantage, and with a fair amount of good luck and civic boosterism, the city became a center of transportation and business activity.
Quote:
For example, Peachtree City, just south of Atlanta, is now the home to manufacturing and distribution operations for a number of Japanese companies, including Hoshizaki-America, Panasonic and TDK. Atlanta also has an excellent technology infrastructure that appeals to established and startup companies in the IT industry. Its information infrastructure is also top class, as evidenced by such international icons as CNN and the Turner Broadcasting companies.
Is Atlanta "the Next Miami?"

Sony Ericsson moves Americas' headquarters from Miami to Atlanta

Maybe you never heard of AGCO but Russia has.
AGCO expands in Russia with $100M joint venture - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Anyway you are way off base as you can see.
AL,SC,TN,NC are just extra crumbs in the business Atlanta dominates in.

Last edited by afonega1; 01-20-2014 at 02:17 AM..

Old 01-20-2014, 07:53 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Don't mistake me for implying its not good that Miami is the de facto capital for latin America.It is.
I don't mean to pick on this post in particular because this has been a common theme throughout the thread, but guys, you need to get it out of your heads that Miami is the capital of Latin America. It's not. It's not even close. Latin Americans (at least Brasilians), like Americans, view Miami as a vacation spot...not a business center. In Latin Americans' minds it's actually the #2 spot in Florida behind Disney World.

Miami is the Latin American center of the United States, but don't be so provincial as to believe it's actually the center of Latin America. It has a lot of regional Latin American headquarters for access purposes. If you go to São Paulo, Rio, Mexico City, Bogotá, or any other major city in Latin America and say Miami is the capital of Latin America, they'll laugh in your face.

I'm sure this post comes off as hostile, which isn't my intention, but I'm hungover and annoyed that I look out my window and see a 20 million person city and some people actually believe Miami matters here. It's the equivalent of saying San Francisco or Los Angeles is the de facto capital of Asia because of their relation to the region. It really is that absurd.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:13 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I don't mean to pick on this post in particular because this has been a common theme throughout the thread, but guys, you need to get it out of your heads that Miami is the capital of Latin America. It's not. It's not even close. Latin Americans (at least Brasilians), like Americans, view Miami as a vacation spot...not a business center.
This needs to be repeated over and over and over again.

Miami is most definitely NOT the capital of Latin America, de facto or otherwise.

Why on EARTH would someone from Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Bogota, Lima, Santiago, Caracas etc need to refer to Miami as their capital? What a joke.

I spend months of the year in Latin America, I speak the languages, I have a relationship with that region that goes back 20 years and have a very intimate grasp of that culture having lived in cities, favelas(shantytowns) included, countryside, mining towns, jungles etc and if anything, New York is the most famous US city in the region, not Miami.

Miami is a well known destination and lots of rich South Americans may go there for some reason or another, sure, but it's not as prominent in the psyche and every day life of people there as it appears many people here seem to think.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This needs to be repeated over and over and over again.

Miami is most definitely NOT the capital of Latin America, de facto or otherwise.

Why on EARTH would someone from Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Bogota, Lima, Santiago, Caracas etc need to refer to Miami as their capital? What a joke.

I spend months of the year in Latin America, I speak the languages, I have a relationship with that region that goes back 20 years and have a very intimate grasp of that culture having lived in cities, favelas(shantytowns) included, countryside, mining towns, jungles etc and if anything, New York is the most famous US city in the region, not Miami.

Miami is a well known destination and lots of rich South Americans may go there for some reason or another, sure, but it's not as prominent in the psyche and every day life of people there as it appears many people here seem to think.
Exactly. On a day-to-day basis a large chunk of the American populace will at some point refer to one of the two "capitals" of the United States (NYC, Washington DC) for some reason or another. It doesn't matter who you are or what you do, at some point in your day, you're likely to hear about one of those cities on the news, etc. In my opinion, this is the sort of weight a capital carries. I've never seen Miami on the news here. I've only heard it from coworkers/friends who are referring to times they've gone on vacation in the area. As you mentioned, New York City is talked about far more regarding political/economic matters in Brasil. All of the Latin American news correspondents are located in New York or Washington, not Miami.

It's difficult to pinpoint one capital of such a large area of diverse cultures and countries, but if I had a gun to my head, it'd probably be Mexico City for Mexico/Central America and São Paulo or Rio for South America. Miami is the Latin American capital of South Florida.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Exactly. On a day-to-day basis a large chunk of the American populace will at some point refer to one of the two "capitals" of the United States (NYC, Washington DC) for some reason or another. It doesn't matter who you are or what you do, at some point in your day, you're likely to hear about one of those cities on the news, etc. In my opinion, this is the sort of weight a capital carries. I've never seen Miami on the news here. I've only heard it from coworkers/friends who are referring to times they've gone on vacation in the area. As you mentioned, New York City is talked about far more regarding political/economic matters in Brasil. All of the Latin American news correspondents are located in New York or Washington, not Miami.

It's difficult to pinpoint one capital of such a large area of diverse cultures and countries, but if I had a gun to my head, it'd probably be Mexico City for Mexico/Central America and São Paulo or Rio for South America. Miami is the Latin American capital of South Florida.
You guys are right.I was more speking in terms of access to the American markets from Latin America

Old 01-20-2014, 11:28 AM

56 posts, read 71,504 times
Quote:
I don't mean to pick on this post in particular because this has been a common theme throughout the thread, but guys, you need to get it out of your heads that Miami is the capital of Latin America. It's not. It's not even close. Latin Americans (at least Brasilians), like Americans, view Miami as a vacation spot...not a business center. In Latin Americans' minds it's actually the #2 spot in Florida behind Disney World.

Miami is the Latin American center of the United States, but don't be so provincial as to believe it's actually the center of Latin America. It has a lot of regional Latin American headquarters for access purposes. If you go to São Paulo, Rio, Mexico City, Bogotá, or any other major city in Latin America and say Miami is the capital of Latin America, they'll laugh in your face.

I'm sure this post comes off as hostile, which isn't my intention, but I'm hungover and annoyed that I look out my window and see a 20 million person city and some people actually believe Miami matters here. It's the equivalent of saying San Francisco or Los Angeles is the de facto capital of Asia because of their relation to the region. It really is that absurd.
Miami is the capital of Latin America. It is the most diverse city in Latin America and has the most important cruise port and airport. UMiami is popular for foreign Latino nationals. We are more than a vacation.

I sound like a broken record because y'all won't understand diversity in black and white Atlanta, Boston, DC, Seattle, etc

Old 01-20-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599MIA View Post
Miami is the capital of Latin America. It is the most diverse city in Latin America and has the most important cruise port and airport. UMiami is popular for foreign Latino nationals. We are more than a vacation.

I sound like a broken record because y'all won't understand diversity in black and white Atlanta, Boston, DC, Seattle, etc
If you really believe Miami is the capital of Latin America, then I can't help you. You're just plain wrong. It's a ridiculous notion.

I also can't help you if you actually think those above cities are black & white demographically.

You also don't realize that some of these Latin American cities are quite diverse themselves...potentially moreso than Miami. São Paulo has the largest Japanese population in the world. It's strongly Portuguese (obviously) but perhaps even moreso Italian. It has very large German, Spanish, Korean, Arab, Lebanese and various other African populations too.

Being a large cruise ship port means nothing...and it only feeds the idea that Miami is a vacation spot. Same with airports. Maybe you should talk about container ports, since that deals with actual business. Miami is not in the Top 50.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 01-20-2014 at 12:07 PM..

Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 PM

56 posts, read 71,504 times
Quote:
If you really believe Miami is the capital of Latin America, then I can't help you. You're just plain wrong. It's a ridiculous notion.

I also can't help you if you actually think those above cities are black & white demographically.

You also don't realize that some of these Latin American cities are quite diverse themselves...potentially moreso than Miami. São Paulo has the largest Japanese population in the world. It's strongly Portuguese (obviously) but perhaps even moreso Italian. It has very large German, Spanish, Korean, Arab, Lebanese and various other African populations too.

Being a large cruise ship port means nothing...and it only feeds the idea that Miami is a vacation spot. Maybe you should talk about container ports, since that's what's important. Santos, which is in the extended metro of São Paulo is only of the 50 largest in the world. Miami is not.
Miami has Japanese, Arabs, and Africans. It's more diverse than SP, MC, BA, RdJ, etc

Miami: the Capital of Latin America - TIME

Latin America Looks To Miami As Tech Hub | Here & Now

We share issues with Latin America
WLRN | Miami, Ft Lauderdale, South FL: WLRN Miami Herald News, Events, Radio.

UMiami is the top school for Latinos and Miami is home to zillions of Latino banks.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599MIA View Post
Miami has Japanese, Arabs, and Africans. It's more diverse than SP, MC, BA, RdJ, etc

Miami: the Capital of Latin America - TIME

Latin America Looks To Miami As Tech Hub | Here & Now

We share issues with Latin America
WLRN | Miami, Ft Lauderdale, South FL: WLRN Miami Herald News, Events, Radio.

UMiami is the top school for Latinos and Miami is home to zillions of Latino banks.
Um, the Japanese population of metro Miami is 0.1%. In the last census there were less than 2,000 Japanese in Miami-Dade and less than 40,000 Asians overall. That's not exactly a significant population. Miami is definitely a diverse city, but it's almost exclusively Latin diversity.

The University of Miami has less than 17,000 students, and only 11% of those are foreign-born students. Even if 100% of those were from Latin America, that' less than 2,000 people. I'm familiar with some Latin banks having offices in Miami, but it's not like that's their main area of operation. At least not in most cases.

And again, there's no way Miami is the capital of Latin America. Maybe it carries heavy influence in the Caribbean, but that's not the case for all of Latin America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City