Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-21-2014, 04:55 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Reputation: 2980

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599MIA View Post
Good post. I think we can agree Miami has Japanese people and that the latin banks are their USHQ. UMiami is 30% latino and is the best ranking majority latino school in the world. Miami is European diverse Spaniard, Israeli, Italiano, Franco, German, Dutch. To toot our horns English soccer sensation DAVID BECKHAM is bringing pro futbol to Florida!! Do foreign futbol studs bring pro futbol to Atlanta, boston, SEA? Two time world champien LeBRON James plays for the hottest pro basketball team in the world MIAMI HEAT
I guess Lebron had trouble with those pesky flying birds last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2014, 04:57 AM
 
233 posts, read 530,797 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is mainly geared towards the US Spanish speaking audience as they are the primary focus of Miami-based Spanish language media outlets.
Ad Age's 2013 Hispanic Fact Pack Is Out Now | Hispanic Marketing - Advertising Age
Your link proves nothing to negate Miami's media influence over Latin America? All it shows is many US companies and networks are catering to the fastest growing demographic in the US. Many companies are doing that Facebook just opened an office in Brickell to cater to US Hispanics and as the article mentions ABC/Disney backed Fusion is based in Miami. So I guess Miami's weakness, influence within the US, may be increasing.

Quote:
Most of these companies have (multiple)offices in Latin America that answer directly to their respective world headquarters, not Miami.
Uh, yes these companies have basic infrastructure such as an office IN LatAm but the logistics, marketing, general oversight for the region is based out of Miami... although at times the Global Headquarters have input here and there but they don't have offices in Miami as a gimmick...you're grasping for straws.

Quote:
And yet here some of you are, trying to tell those of who do now or have lived in Latin America that you are not only special, but in fact, CAPITAL of the entire region? LOLOL
Your very butt hurt over CAPITAL we get it... I've never said CAPITAL but many media outlets both US and LatAm have, but if it makes you feel better then NEXUS or HUB for international business between North and South America okay? The semantics don't dispute the facts in air traffic, international trade, US and Lat Am companies in Miami, media influence etc.

Quote:
That was 2012.

In 2013, Miami fell to 26th place, see page 22 below
The Wealth Report | My Knight Frank
Yawn, one year fluctuation. I was never saying Miami was the 6th most important city in the world and never would, but this report doesn't refute the 2012 one where the elite in SA placed Miami as the second most important city in the World after New York and ahead of London, which was my point. What other cities in the US can say the same for respondents in Asia, Africa, or Europe. Also, besides Boston the US cities ahead of Miami basically mirror the GAWC report with Miami just behind SF LOL.

Last edited by sofla951; 01-21-2014 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 05:19 AM
 
Location: Denver
6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Reputation: 4201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And yet here some of you are, trying to tell those of who do now or have lived in Latin America that you are not only special, but in fact, CAPITAL of the entire region? LOLOL
Exactly this. The reason that was brought up is because one poster in particular has been insistent that Miami is the capital of all of Latin America, which is ridiculous. I don't think anyone here is trying to bash Miami whatsoever. I think most would agree it's a very international city with a great culture...but some of the claims being thrown around on this thread are ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 06:04 AM
 
Location: Denver
6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Reputation: 4201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599MIA View Post
Miami has immigrants from Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Panama, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Italy, Canada.
So do many cities. Boston has the largest Portuguese speaking population in US and perhaps the world (outside of a Portuguese speaking country of course). It has a massive Brasilian, Portuguese, Cape Verdean and Azorean population. It also has very significant Puerto Rican, Dominican, Haitian and Jamaican populations, along with Arab, Cambodian, Chinese and Sub-Saharan Africans. Boston has strong ties to Europe and I'm not sure why you'd even include Canada, but there are strong ties to Canada too due to proximity. I think Afonega will be able to clue you in on some of Atlanta's diversity too, since he's better versed on that area than I am.

Quote:
Patriots, Celtics, Packers, Giants, Knicks, Laker are all in decline. NE can't get back in the SB and if by fluke it does will be plowed by SEA, 49er. Dolphins will challenge NE next season imo.
You don't really get what we're talking about here, do you? We're talking about popularity & brand awareness, not on-court/field success this year.

Quote:
Lol Celtics are afterthoughts to the Heat and world. Come up with better BS
Again, not talking about on court success. Believe it or not, basketball did exist before 2010. The sport has been growing in popularity worldwide since the original Dream Team in '92. As a result, people actually cared about teams before Lebron James went to Miami. I'm telling you from my personal experience what I've seen to be the most popular brands.

Quote:
Where's the list of foreign banks in those cities? Y'all needa provide all the info.
As I mentioned before, Citi and Santander have huge presences down here. JP Morgan & Goldman Sachs, along with Morgan Stanley are doing their best to make headway in South America as well. But the king of South America is definitely Itaú at this point IMO. They control the largest market (Brasil), and are pushing into other countries.

Regarding the information I posted, click the link I provided in my post. It shows all the various factors they take into account. They range from surveys submitted by finance professionals, to all sorts of AUM, market participation, market size, wealth, and dozens (seriously, if you look at the area where they get their info, there are about 100 different sources for their data) of other factors.

We can take a look at Asset Management too. Here's a list of the 300 largest asset managers in the US. South Florida has one firm on the list, and it's ranked #271, with $8.871 billion under management. Comparatively, the #1 & #2 cities in the US, New York and Boston, have $11.670 and $5.563 trillion under management respectively. On this Towers & Watson page, you can see the world's 500 largest asset managers. There you can find São Paulo has over $600 billion AUM, though I do believe it's the only major city represented in Latin America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Los Altos Hills, CA
36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Reputation: 21239
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
Your link proves nothing to negate Miami's media influence over Latin America?
And none of you have posted anything that confirms Miami dominance over media in all of Latin America. All of Miami's Spanish networks combined are smaller than Globo and Televisa. LOL

And that makes sense because Miami's Spanish language networks are primarily for Spanish Speaking people in the US. Just because some foreign networks pick up some shows made in Miami doesn't make Miami the main media 'capital' of Latin America.

Nothing out of Miami has ever been bigger than franchises like Betty La Fea or the Thalia shows---not even close.


Quote:
All it shows is many US companies and networks are catering to the fastest growing demographic in the US. Many companies are doing that Facebook just opened an office in Brickell to cater to US Hispanics and as the article mentions ABC/Disney backed Fusion is based in Miami. So I guess Miami's weakness, influence within the US, may be increasing.
Yes, Miami's influence in US media is growing, congrats.

Quote:
Uh, yes these companies have basic infrastructure such as an office IN LatAm but the logistics, marketing, general oversight for the region is based out of Miami... although at times the Global Headquarters have input here and there but they don't have offices in Miami as a gimmick...you're grasping for straws.
Nope. There is NOTHING done in Miami by Microsoft that can't be done in Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires.

Perhaps those Miami offices are for the Caribbean? Because Wal Mex and Wal Mart Brasileiro have absolutely NOTHING to do with Miami, nor do most of other companies you claim are the official Latin American HQ, it gets more laughable the more I think about it.

Quote:
Your very butt hurt over CAPITAL we get it... I've never said CAPITAL but many media outlets both US and LatAm have, but if it makes you feel better then NEXUS or HUB for international business between North and South America okay? The semantics don't dispute the facts in air traffic, international trade, US and Lat Am companies in Miami, media influence etc.
LOL No need to get upset because you've been called out on your embarrassing exaggerations.
Yes darling, you can be a hub sure, but 'Capital'?--NO SENOR.


Quote:
Yawn, one year fluctuation. I was never saying Miami was the 6th most important city in the world and never would, but this report doesn't refute the 2012 one where the elite in SA placed Miami as the second most important city in the World after New York and ahead of London, which was my point.
Well this isn't even a report based on facts, but the opinions of Citibank's financial advisors.

As far as where the world's ultra high net worth individuals actually LIVE, Miami isn't even ranked.

Page 9
The Wealth Report | My Knight Frank

Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Mexico City crush Miami as far as the place where super rich Latin Americans live. Buenos Aires, Santiago, Bogota, Lima etc probably do as well.

Quote:
What other cities in the US can say the same for respondents in Asia, Africa, or Europe.
Yes, financial advisors like to take vacations in Miami. Congrats.

Quote:
Also, besides Boston the US cities ahead of Miami basically mirror the GAWC report with Miami just behind SF LOL.
LOL Sure thing hun, Miami is globally connected, congrats, but it's not really a center of power or a place where decisions are made.

For that GAWC ranks World Cities this way:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2821/1...f7bddc13_b.jpg

GaWC Research Bulletin 430

Miami isn't even ranked. fyi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 09:58 AM
 
56 posts, read 71,504 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
So do many cities. Boston has the largest Portuguese speaking population in US and perhaps the world (outside of a Portuguese speaking country of course). It has a massive Brasilian, Portuguese, Cape Verdean and Azorean population. It also has very significant Puerto Rican, Dominican, Haitian and Jamaican populations, along with Arab, Cambodian, Chinese and Sub-Saharan Africans. Boston has strong ties to Europe and I'm not sure why you'd even include Canada, but there are strong ties to Canada too due to proximity. I think Afonega will be able to clue you in on some of Atlanta's diversity too, since he's better versed on that area than I am.



You don't really get what we're talking about here, do you? We're talking about popularity & brand awareness, not on-court/field success this year.
BS. You're purposely downplaying the Heat's popularity. Miami and NYC are the only cities Latin Americans care for and Boston, LA, NYC, Chicago have declining teams. You must be from one of those cities to suggest how teams at the rock bottom of their conferences have popularity in Brazil. You are biased. Do you realize what year we are living in? I can't believe you tried to say people in other countries care about those team so much, do Americans outside New England care about the Celtics? And you think I will believe Brazilians do with Boston's third worst record in the NBA.

Ok Boston's diversity is regular but Jamaican, PRican, Dominican Miami is a immigration hub for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
As I mentioned before, Citi and Santander have huge presences down here. JP Morgan & Goldman Sachs, along with Morgan Stanley are doing their best to make headway in South America as well. But the king of South America is definitely Itaú at this point IMO. They control the largest market (Brasil), and are pushing into other countries.

Regarding the information I posted, click the link I provided in my post. It shows all the various factors they take into account. They range from surveys submitted by finance professionals, to all sorts of AUM, market participation, market size, wealth, and dozens (seriously, if you look at the area where they get their info, there are about 100 different sources for their data) of other factors.

We can take a look at Asset Management too. Here's a list of the 300 largest asset managers in the US. South Florida has one firm on the list, and it's ranked #271, with $8.871 billion under management. Comparatively, the #1 & #2 cities in the US, New York and Boston, have $11.670 and $5.563 trillion under management respectively. On this Towers & Watson page, you can see the world's 500 largest asset managers. There you can find São Paulo has over $600 billion AUM, though I do believe it's the only major city represented in Latin America.
Which Latin American banks do SEA, Atlanta, and boston have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 AM
 
6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Reputation: 8436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This needs to be repeated over and over and over again.

Miami is most definitely NOT the capital of Latin America, de facto or otherwise.

Why on EARTH would someone from Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Bogota, Lima, Santiago, Caracas etc need to refer to Miami as their capital? What a joke.

I spend months of the year in Latin America, I speak the languages, I have a relationship with that region that goes back 20 years and have a very intimate grasp of that culture having lived in cities, favelas(shantytowns) included, countryside, mining towns, jungles etc and if anything, New York is the most famous US city in the region, not Miami.

Miami is a well known destination and lots of rich South Americans may go there for some reason or another, sure, but it's not as prominent in the psyche and every day life of people there as it appears many people here seem to think.
Yeah I find some of the arguments to be quite absurd really.

We already know that the guy who created GaWC and the whole Alpha-Beta-Gamma strata admitted that it's not to be interpreted as a power/importance/relevance/supremity ranking but only financial business ties with London. I mean, if people really want to throw dice and play, then I'd love to see how some of these GaWC rank fanatics could ever justify why in hell Sydney and Dubai rank above Los Angeles, Chicago, and Moscow is beyond help. How about how Tokyo (and Paris) has (have) the world's largest economy (or economies) and is (are) the epicenter of business for a part of the world with 20% of the world's population (Pacific Rim or the European Union) but has to be in a tier with Singapore, Sydney, Shanghai. The second best markets of their part of the world.

Why people keep looking over this when proof was presented, several times, and keep making things up like "financial center of the Latin speaking world", "most important airport in the western hemisphere" and laughable nonsense to justify a list that NEVER EVER even had any grounds at all is bizarre to me.

It just looks like some people are desperately trying to make a broken ranking system work, when it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Denver
6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Reputation: 4201
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599MIA View Post
BS. You're purposely downplaying the Heat's popularity. Miami and NYC are the only cities Latin Americans care for and Boston, LA, NYC, Chicago have declining teams. You must be from one of those cities to suggest how teams at the rock bottom of their conferences have popularity in Brazil. You are biased. Do you realize what year we are living in? I can't believe you tried to say people in other countries care about those team so much, do Americans outside New England care about the Celtics? And you think I will believe Brazilians do with Boston's third worst record in the NBA
I'm not downplaying the Heat's popularity. I said it's definitely one of the five most popular teams down here. You're acting like Latin America is only discovering basketball now, and only because of Lebron James and the Heat, which is totally untrue. What you seem to forget is that before 2010, nobody really knew or cared about the Heat--not even people in Miami--and the four most popular teams in the league historically have been the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, and Bulls. Maybe this is different in other countries, but again I'm speaking from a Brasil perspective.

I'm originally from Boston, but I'm not playing up the popularity here. The Brasilian population there may be the largest in the world. Including the illegals, it's estimated 336,000 Brasilians lived in Mass as of 2010 (Source), with 99% of that population residing in the Boston MSA. Comparatively, it's estimated that about 300,000 Brazilians live in the entire state of Florida (Source). It's nearly impossible to use census figures for this group since it's estimated that over 70% of Brasilians live in the US illegally.

There is a very, very strong connection with Massachusetts and Brasil, whether you want to believe that or not.

For what it's worth, you said "I can't believe you tried to say people in other countries care about those team so much"...nobody cares about basketball that much here. It's a novelty to them. Same thing with football. It's "cool" to like those sports sort of like it's becoming cool to like soccer in the US. The only sport they really care about is soccer.

Quote:
Ok Boston's diversity is regular but Jamaican, PRican, Dominican Miami is a immigration hub for them.
How is Boston's diversity regular? The Puerto Rican population of Metro Boston is 2.7% to Miami's 3.6% (Source), using 2000 statistics Miami's Dominican population was 1.1% to Boston's 0.9% (Source)...not exactly a huge difference. I can't find any city-breakdowns, but Massachusetts has the fourth most Haitians in the US (Source). Boston's obviously not going to rival Miami in terms of Latin American connections, but there are several significant Latin communities in the metro.

Boston's Asian population is nearly triple that of Miami, with significant Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese populations, and the second largest Cambodian population in the USA, behind only Los Angeles.

Again, I'd definitely call Miami the more diverse area, but Boston's far from "normal".

Quote:
Which Latin American banks do SEA, Atlanta, and boston have?
Well I can't really speak for Seattle or Atlanta, but I'd say Boston has very few, if any...but why would it need them? It has the second most assets under management in the US and probably one of the five largest in the world. The GFCI, ranks it as the #2 finance center in North America and #7 on the planet.

Latin banks aren't exactly powerful from a global perspective. If you combined the five largest Latin banks in the world, their assets under management wouldn't even be half of Boston's second largest asset management firm (Fidelity Investments). For a long time, one of the largest banks in South America was in fact Bank of Boston, before it was purchased & chopped up by Bank of America.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 01-21-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Reputation: 12152
When the heat go back to sucking, South Floridians will go back to not caring about the heat. It is the most bandwagon and fairweather sports town in America. Even Atlanta is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2014, 01:25 PM
 
56 posts, read 71,504 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well I can't really speak for Seattle or Atlanta, but I'd say Boston has very few, if any...but why would it need them? It has the second most assets under management in the US and probably one of the five largest in the world. The GFCI, ranks it as the #2 finance center in North America and #7 on the planet.

Latin banks aren't exactly powerful from a global perspective. If you combined the five largest Latin banks in the world, their assets under management wouldn't even be half of Boston's second largest asset management firm (Fidelity Investments). For a long time, one of the largest banks in South America was in fact Bank of Boston, before it was purchased & chopped up by Bank of America.
Boston's banks are richer than MIA banks but MIA has more diverse banks. Our economy is like MC, SP, BA, RdJ. There is economic divides and financial segregation in Miami. But our financial state can't hold us because we are the USHQ for Latino banks, producers, fashion designers. Boston, SEA, atlanta is not the USHQ of Latino banks and media.

Trump is helping make miami the 2nd largest Latin American filming city in the world. RdJ 1st imo Donald Trump Wants to Build a Mini-Hollywood Film Studio City in Homestead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top