Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 01:32 PM

89 posts, read 179,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599MIA View Post
Your source for financial information is global toy news ? No,,, just no.... If you have any experience working in the financial industry than you'd know Miami is not the financial capital of Latin America and as a global financial center is fairly inconsequential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM

56 posts, read 71,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
with 99% of that population residing in the Boston MSA. Comparatively, it's estimated that about 300,000 Brazilians live in the entire state of Florida (Source). It's nearly impossible to use census figures for this group since it's estimated that over 70% of Brasilians live in the US illegally.

There is a very, very strong connection with Massachusetts and Brasil, whether you want to believe that or not.

For what it's worth, you said "I can't believe you tried to say people in other countries care about those team so much"...nobody cares about basketball that much here. It's a novelty to them. Same thing with football. It's "cool" to like those sports sort of like it's becoming cool to like soccer in the US. The only sport they really care about is soccer.

How is Boston's diversity regular? The Puerto Rican population of Metro Boston is 2.7% to Miami's 3.6% (Source), using 2000 statistics Miami's Dominican population was 1.1% to Boston's 0.9% (Source)...not exactly a huge difference. I can't find any city-breakdowns, but Massachusetts has the fourth most Haitians in the US (Source). Boston's obviously not going to rival Miami in terms of Latin American connections, but there are several significant Latin communities in the metro.

Boston's Asian population is nearly triple that of Miami, with significant Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese populations, and the second largest Cambodian population in the USA, behind only Los Angeles.
Miami metro has 2 million foreign immigrants. boston has 700k. Imo Boston is regular white majority city. In 04 UN said Miami was worlds most diverse city and 4th in purchasing power Immigrant Cities: Why American Cities are Still the Best Global Cities

Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Boston's banks are richer than MIA banks but MIA has more diverse banks. Our economy is like MC, SP, BA, RdJ. There is economic divides and financial segregation in Miami. But our financial state can't hold us because we are the USHQ for Latino banks, producers, fashion designers. Boston, SEA, atlanta is not the USHQ of Latino banks and media.
I'm sorry to be a jerk, but you don't know what you're talking about. You need to drop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcc View Post
Your source for financial information is global toy news ?
Wow I didn't even notice that source. That's bad.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I'm not downplaying the Heat's popularity. I said it's definitely one of the five most popular teams down here. You're acting like Latin America is only discovering basketball now, and only because of Lebron James and the Heat, which is totally untrue. What you seem to forget is that before 2010, nobody really knew or cared about the Heat--not even people in Miami--and the four most popular teams in the league historically have been the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics, and Bulls. Maybe this is different in other countries, but again I'm speaking from a Brasil perspective.

I'm originally from Boston, but I'm not playing up the popularity here. The Brasilian population there may be the largest in the world. Including the illegals, it's estimated 336,000 Brasilians lived in Mass as of 2010 (Source), with 99% of that population residing in the Boston MSA. Comparatively, it's estimated that about 300,000 Brazilians live in the entire state of Florida (Source). It's nearly impossible to use census figures for this group since it's estimated that over 70% of Brasilians live in the US illegally..
Why would Brazilian care for the Knick, Celtic, Bull, and Laker when they suck? They don't have a stud star players and they own the worst records in the NBA. Brazilian are intelligent people my friend, the root for the champion Miami Heat. Miami's media influence with South America make the Heat the most popular team in Latin America. Common sense amigo

Miami is not a fair weather sports city. We do love sports. We have charcoal on our cheeks Friday nites. won't see abandoned hoops courts in Miami and we have skate parks too! If you are from Miami you will root for the Marlins, Dolphins, Heat. Heat tickets are expensive and not many Miami families can afford Heat tickets 3. Miami Heat | 24/7 Wall Street: The Most Expensive Tickets in Sports | Comcast.net

They watch the Heat from home or at bars

Old 01-21-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry to be a jerk, but you don't know what you're talking about. You need to drop it.
You don't have foreign banks in Boston. You are richer and stronger but Miami is more international. Boston doesn't have foreign cruises or airlines like Miami. We are international you are not

Old 01-21-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I guess Lebron had trouble with those pesky flying birds last night.
Enjoy your week of press for beating MIA. Next week Atlanta will go to being an afterthought like the Falcons and Braves.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:09 PM

89 posts, read 179,407 times
Quote:
Miami metro has 2 million foreign immigrants. boston has 700k. Imo Boston is regular white majority city. In 04 UN said Miami was worlds most diverse city and 4th in purchasing power Immigrant Cities: Why American Cities are Still the Best Global Cities
Huh??? How the hell can Miami possibly be the 4th wealthiest city on earth when it's median household income is $30K (with 30% of residences below the poverty level) a number that's significantly below the national median household income of $53K. Sure you mentioned that it's based on purchasing power, but you'd have a hard time trying to convince any one that housing, food, etc in Miami are significantly cheaper the national average.

Miami (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcc View Post
Huh??? How the hell can Miami possibly be the 4th wealthiest city on earth when it's median household income is $30K a number that's significantly below the national median household income of $53K. Sure you mentioned that it's based on purchasing power, but you'd have a hard time trying to convince any one that housing, food, etc in Miami are significantly below the national average.

Miami (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Ask the UN. They said it I'm just the messenger

=P

Old 01-21-2014, 02:14 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Enjoy your week of press for beating MIA. Next week Atlanta will go to being an afterthought
I can believe that. When comparing the Hawks to other pro-sports teams in Atlanta, they are the least popular. I'm sure once Atlanta gets an MLS team, they will probably be more popular than the Hawks as well.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 PM

233 posts, read 530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And none of you have posted anything that confirms Miami dominance over media in all of Latin America. All of Miami's Spanish networks combined are smaller than Globo and Televisa. LOL

And that makes sense because Miami's Spanish language networks are primarily for Spanish Speaking people in the US. Just because some foreign networks pick up some shows made in Miami doesn't make Miami the main media 'capital' of Latin America.

Nothing out of Miami has ever been bigger than franchises like Betty La Fea or the Thalia shows---[b]not even close.
I've never said it was THE main media hub of Latin America but by far the NEXUS between the two markets and yields major influence in both markets, where media outlets (who are constantly looking for new audiences) from either region come to expand beyond their respective regions.

Quote:
Yes, Miami's influence in US media is growing, congrats.
Thanks?

Quote:
Nope. There is NOTHING done in Miami by Microsoft that can't be done in Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires.
Perhaps those Miami offices are for the Caribbean? Because Wal Mex and Wal Mart Brasileiro have absolutely NOTHING to do with Miami, nor do most of other companies you claim are the official Latin American HQ, it gets more laughable the more I think about it.
LOL! You have no clue what you are talking about. Apparently they just plop these headquarters for no reason but you are free to believe whatever you want, but Walmart alone seems to disagree with you.

Walmart Corporate - Walmart Latinoamérica Opens New Regional Office in South Florida, Introduces New Regional President and CEO Eduardo Solórzano

SAB Miller tried what your train of thought and just relocated it's LatAm operation from Bogota to Miami.

Quote:
LOL No need to get upset because you've been called out on your embarrassing exaggerations.
Yes darling, you can be a hub sure, but 'Capital'?--NO SENOR.

My exaggerations...NO
Keeping chirping I could care less about Miami being called the CAPITAL, all I care is its role as the business, cultural, and transportation NEXUS between North and South which it is....like it or not.

Well this isn't even a report based on facts, but the opinions of Citibank's financial advisors.

As far as where the world's ultra high net worth individuals actually LIVE, Miami isn't even ranked.

Quote:
Page 9
The Wealth Report | My Knight Frank

Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Mexico City crush Miami as far as the place where super rich Latin Americans live. Buenos Aires, Santiago, Bogota, Lima etc probably do as well.

Yes, financial advisors like to take vacations in Miami. Congrats.

LOL Sure thing hun, Miami is globally connected, congrats, but it's not really a center of power or a place where decisions are made.

For that GAWC ranks World Cities this way:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2821/1...f7bddc13_b.jpg

GaWC Research Bulletin 430 [QUOTE/]

Miami isn't even ranked. fyi.
Florida alone has almost the same number of HNWI as Brazil, which has by far the most in Latin America, so Sao Paolo may have more but crushing, let alone the other cities LOL! Wealth X divides Miami's metro but 4300 HNWI in Florida do not all live in Jacksonville. Miami metro has 26 billionaires...the whole country of Brazil has 53.

Yawn, you found a ranking based on global corporate HQs, of course using that metric Miami won't do well but when US companies want to do business in Latin America or vice versa they'll be coming to Miami, the 1400 multinational companies here and the new one's opening office here everyday are proof enough compared to your blanked "Those offices don't got nothing to do with nothing in Latin America" argument.

And yes, they do like coming to Miami to vacation, and still ranked it second to New York in importance...deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City