Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 03:01 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
All this talk about Latin America as if the rest of the world does not exist.This is why Miami is where it is.So much of it is focused on one region that is actually one of the poorest after Africa.

Miami has one of the highest poverty rates as in the country as well as some of the wealthiest people.Income segregation is very high.

As I have said before Miami is not known for research and innovation.This is why so much of its growth is low wage jobs.
Very true, we've gotten off track and are only focusing on the Latin American aspect.

It's definitely a very violent area, and it's a low-skilled area with pretty bad education statistics.

There is of course a lot of potential, but we'll see if they're able to capitalize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 04:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Those were the Winter Olympics. A number of smaller cities have hosted those. But to my knowledge no small cities have hosted the summer Olympics. Those tend to go to big, important cities. Like it or not, Atlanta is the most cosmopolitan, international city in the South, even if other cities might have more wealth. Their airport has among the highest number of international flights in the US. I think that attests to their global pull.
LOL, the old "that's different"!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
When the heat go back to sucking, South Floridians will go back to not caring about the heat. It is the most bandwagon and fairweather sports town in America. Even Atlanta is better.
Off topic, buuuuuut, I'm gonna make this REALLY clear. There's really only a few TRUE sports cities where the fans are gonna show up no matter what. You can accuse Miami residents of being fair weather fans, that's fair. I'll give you that. But most bandwagon fans come from OUTSIDE of the state of Florida. If you've watched Miami vs both NY teams in the last couple of years, you can clearly hear a GREAT number of Heat fans in Madison Square Garden, and in Barclays. There's more Heat fans in Brooklyn it seems, than Brooklyn fans. And Heat fans completely infiltrate Madison Square Garden nowadays. So having said that, let me pose you a question. And give you MY answer. Does the presence of Miami Heat bandwagon fans in NYC, reflect the poor sports-culture of Miami, or does it represent bandwagon-hopping among the citizens of the supposedly great sports city of NYC? I'd say it represents the latter. There's a huge difference between fair-weather fans(who are folks who live in Miami, and only show support when the teams are good) and band-wagon fans(all the fans in YA'LLs cities who decide to jump-on Miami's bandwagon). YOU ALL (meaning the rest of America) needs to control YOUR fans. Now back to how much GaWC is a joke, and how Miami is ranked too high.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:24 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yeah I find some of the arguments to be quite absurd really.

We already know that the guy who created GaWC and the whole Alpha-Beta-Gamma strata admitted that it's not to be interpreted as a power/importance/relevance/supremity ranking but only financial business ties with London. I mean, if people really want to throw dice and play, then I'd love to see how some of these GaWC rank fanatics could ever justify why in hell Sydney and Dubai rank above Los Angeles, Chicago, and Moscow is beyond help. How about how Tokyo (and Paris) has (have) the world's largest economy (or economies) and is (are) the epicenter of business for a part of the world with 20% of the world's population (Pacific Rim or the European Union) but has to be in a tier with Singapore, Sydney, Shanghai. The second best markets of their part of the world.
The ranking may or may not be flawed regarding what it is trying to measure, but the bolded is not true. London is no more central than any other city, it's a network analysis, see here.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:20 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
When the heat go back to sucking, South Floridians will go back to not caring about the heat. It is the most bandwagon and fairweather sports town in America. Even Atlanta is better.
I would probably rank Atlanta worse, but most Sunbelt cities with the exception of LA and Dallas are fair weather sports towns. It comes with being transient and young cities.

The Heat have never had a serious attendance issue. Look at the stats. Miami started building its basketball tradition before Lebron. They Heat were the most popular ticket in Miami before Lebron.

Anyway this has little to do with GAWC which after reading more about it seems pretty stupid. I prefer FP rankings.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I would probably rank Atlanta worse, but most Sunbelt cities with the exception of LA and Dallas are fair weather sports towns. It comes with being transient and young cities.

The Heat have never had a serious attendance issue. Look at the stats. Miami started building its basketball tradition before Lebron. They Heat were the most popular ticket in Miami before Lebron.

Anyway this has little to do with GAWC which after reading more about it seems pretty stupid. I prefer FP rankings.
GAWC is pretty dumb. But if folks think the rankings are going to be drastically different in another "important city" ranking, than they're dreaming. In terms of Miami, it might be ranked lower, but the top 5 American cities of prominence, will remain.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:00 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599MIA View Post
Thanks!I LOVE the Squidbillies also as much as you seem to!As well as the Real Housewives of Atlanta,The New Atlanta and Love and Hip Hop Atlanta.We have so much in common in our love for all things Atlanta.Is'nt ATLANTA just AWESOME?!

Old 01-22-2014, 06:05 PM

56 posts, read 71,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami, it might be ranked lower, but the top 5 American cities of prominence, will remain.
Miami is not top 5 American cities of prominence.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:07 PM

56 posts, read 71,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Thanks!I LOVE the Squidbillies also as much as you seem to!As well as the Real Housewives of Atlanta,The New Atlanta and Love and Hip Hop Atlanta.We have so much in common in our love for all things Atlanta.Is'nt ATLANTA just AWESOME?!
Just stop talking please. Your illiteracy is numbing imo.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599MIA View Post
Miami is not top 5 American cities of prominence.
That was my point. No matter how much lower Miami is ranked in a legit city-ranking, it won't change the fact that Miami, NOR Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Seattle, San Diego, Boston, Philly, Cleveland, nor any other 2nd, or 3rd tier cities will penetrate the top 5 of NYC, LA, CHI, DC, and SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City