Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 AM

650 posts, read 1,629,694 times

Advertisements

thats amazing. how do you jump from forested tropical no human habitat swamp to alpha world city status in 100 years. Thats unreal. How many other world alpha cities have done that? Probably 0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 10:36 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
thats amazing. how do you jump from forested tropical no human habitat swamp to alpha world city status in 100 years. Thats unreal. How many other world alpha cities have done that? Probably 0.
Cocaine is one helluva drug lol

Also I'm guessing Dubai wasn't much of anything a 100 years ago, or even 50 years ago. Same with Singapore. So Miami isn't alone there.

Last edited by sav858; 01-15-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 10:42 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
I assume you're talking about Miami?

The cocaine trade helped a bit in terms of its actual infrastructural development. But economically it's still not more important than any of the other Alpha- cities, Beta+ cities, or Beta cities. Its economic power is closer to Minneapolis than it is to Philadelphia or Houston.

The real "power" Miami gets in this ranking is due to its connection to Latin American countries socially & economically. This isn't necessarily a testament to Miami's ability to transform itself as it is being the major city in a great location.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 AM

886 posts, read 1,563,602 times
LMAO. An inferior laborers poor minimum wage unintelligent city like Miami is at the same level as DC, SF, and Boston. It's pecking order in that tier is actually higher than Boston's.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

This is rich. I don't think I've laughed as much in previous GAWC updates.

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 01-15-2014 at 11:01 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
^^^Agreed. Miami has an international investment banking presence, tying Latin American and Spanish companies together. However, this is often overplayed. If finance/banking were that much of a leg in the SoFla economy, downtown Miami/Brickell wouldn't have as little office space as it does. A lot of my friends who went to school in the NE didn't even consider the SE at all for jobs after college, but if they did, then they all wound up in either Atlanta, Charlotte, or NOLA to a lesser degree (all three cities probably have more investment banking jobs than Miami, which is "known" for its international IB presence).

Miami is much moreso a cultural/social link. I have family in Barranquilla, Col. and the women who married my cousins there (I'm Nordic and my cousins are all Swedish/Norwegian men who married local women) love to make weekend trips to Miami to shop and stroll South Beach. This is a very common thing. I don't necessarily get the point because I would much rather visit Cartagena right next to Barranquilla for a similar, even better experience, in my opinion, but I realize the shopping isn't the same.

I don't think ^^^that^^^ "link" makes Miami more important globally than Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta.

I suppose to Europeans, big events like Art Basel also help to put Miami on the world map. Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta have no similar events and aren't the "cosmopolitan" centers that Europeans love to visit. But a one-week migration for the wealthy in Europe to Art Basel, which has the setting of South Beach to boost its marketing, is enough to put the entire city on the minds of more people globally than a Houston, even though Houston is one of the largest energy sector hubs in the world and has direct business ties in major ways, globally.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:59 AM

650 posts, read 1,629,694 times
GaWC or antisocial random faceless posters on C-D? Hmmm... who is more credible? Thats a tough question.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:11 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
GaWC or antisocial random faceless posters on C-D? Hmmm... who is more credible? Thats a tough question.
If you want to compare it to some of its peers, I think you'll find it comes out very low on the totem poll economically.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:25 AM

886 posts, read 1,563,602 times
Quote:
The actual city Miami is ok but don't you think it would be better if your leaders were more fiscally responsible? It's sad to report but Miami is a service sector laborers market. Most jobs are in retail, hotel management, or restaurant.

Miami needs a vision to change this because it's not a global powerhouse city until it has respectable economical strengths IMO.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:34 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Localized to the US, not to Texas or the greater SE Texas area.

Since when is Dallas a player in finance? I've never really considered it a bigtime tech powerhouse either.
Dallas is in the next tier after the Bay Area and Seattle for tech. It's always been an IT hub. Financially, I would say that's regional.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
I think you get points on GaWC if you have events that are labeled "international" even if they suck. Miami is like 2nd highest in the country on "international" events. I think I read in previous versions of GaWC that was about 20% of the score.

Anyway, everybody knows this GaWC is ridiculous. Basically if you have giant firms like Deloitte and KPMG or Baker and McKenzie in your city you get more points.

You are SOL if you have tons of thriving independent businesses that don't have global offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City