Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:40 PM

650 posts, read 1,629,839 times

Advertisements

Imagine if Miamis economy was on par with Houston, its world class position would be a notch above those cities. I think cities like Houston and Dallas have maximized their potential while Miami hasnt even scratched the surface. Miami though is evonomically underacheiving, is still a alpha city. Houston and Dallas have much greater economies yet are still beta cities. Not much room for improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I am just going to ignore the ignorant comments and just point out again that this ranking is based on connectivity. The Airports, (Miami is one of the top 5 aviation centers in the world) Seaports, International Financial Sector (second largest in the U.S.) International Business HQs, Immigration, Telecommunications Networks (NAP of the Americas, Data Center Colocation | Verizon Terremark), Media and on and on is what does place Miami on a list with DC and San Fran. Like I stated earlier Miami is the de-facto business and media capital of Latin America. If you think a whole continent to the south, the Caribbean and Central America are not important than fine. But in reality its a pretty important part of the world.

No one is saying Miami is more important than D.C. or San Fran or even Houston and Dallas, especially domestically. If they are they don't understand this ranking. But when looking at Miami's connectivity to the world there is no doubt Miami belongs as one the top in North America and the world.
Don't forget when we are talking about 'Cruise Ship capital of the world' we are talking Miami. As for its airport - not only is Miami the largest U.S passenger hub connecting Latin America - but also cargo hub connecting Latin America. As the middle class from Mexico to Brazil and every other country in south/central America grows more and more rapidly - I think you will see Miami's economic and cultural importance even further expanded because of the strong roots it has with almost a billion people.

My partner is from Venezuela and watches a billion tele-novela's online and 80 percent of them are filmed in Miami... I didn't know this until I met him - my point is I don't think people realize just HOW BIG Miami is to other Latin American countries so I totally get what you're saying .

GaWc is but one measure of many - but the truth is nobody can deny that when linked to the world with huge emphasis on Latin America, Miami is without a doubt and deservedly up there as at the top layer of global cities in the United States.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 PM

United States need Miami more than Miami needs United States

Old 01-15-2014, 08:11 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Imagine if Miamis economy was on par with Houston, its world class position would be a notch above those cities. I think cities like Houston and Dallas have maximized their potential while Miami hasnt even scratched the surface. Miami though is evonomically underacheiving, is still a alpha city. Houston and Dallas have much greater economies yet are still beta cities. Not much room for improvement.
Your opinion will be valid as soon as you can spell "economically" correctly.

Houston and Dallas have barely scratched the surface as well. They are already more successful and advanced cities than Miami, with more international connections as well. All they need to do is become more tourist friendly, and the true results shall be seen.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:16 PM

56 posts, read 71,504 times
Default Miami surpasses Philly GaWC index

GAWC's praise about Miami,

alpha & alpha- cities Very important world cities that link major economic regions and states into the world economy

Philly,

All beta level cities These are important world cities that are instrumental in linking their region or state into the world economy

Miami is the world capital for South American banks. It's the most important cruise port and airport in the Americas. GAWC proves Miami has surpassed older established powers like Philly.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2012

Do you agree?

Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
love Philly

Old 01-15-2014, 08:31 PM

Thats sad. Wasnt Philly founded in the 1600s?... and Miami is barely 100...

Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Those were the Winter Olympics. A number of smaller cities have hosted those. But to my knowledge no small cities have hosted the summer Olympics. Those tend to go to big, important cities. Like it or not, Atlanta is the most cosmopolitan, international city in the South, even if other cities might have more wealth. Their airport has among the highest number of international flights in the US. I think that attests to their global pull.
BS post. Did you know that NYC, the biggest, most esteemed city in the nation, has never hosted the Olympics? So just because Atlanta has hosted the Olympics doesn't make it the most cosmopolitan, and international in the American South. That honor goes to Houston, which as the 3rd largest amount of foreign consulates, and has over 90 languages spoken in its metro, and is the energy capital of the world. Even Dallas is more international and cosmopolitan than Atlanta.

Actually, never mind. Texas isn't really in the south, but Atlanta is, so Atlanta is the most cosmopolitan by default.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:48 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Wrong ,while I can not speak for Dallas , Houston economy has not even began to crack open all the possible revune it ca tap into

Port of Houston
Long being one of Houston major economic drivers , is under going a massive expansion in reponse to panama canel expansion. This will allow Houston to handle larger cargo ships as well as more of them..Translating into increase in martime shipping and receiving revune

Medical center
Houston other major revune source. Still growing adding more hostipals , research centers, , speciality centers , and Healthcare schools.

Energy
Houston bread and butter , but while oil and gas is a major part of it , Houston footing in all things energy related. Solar, natrual gas, bio-fuel.. Houston also learning from the past has put major effort into increasing our stamp on those areas.. If not leading in them then being a major player in them.

Aerospace

The smaller of Houston eco engine but still a growing one with Houston second airport(Hobby) expanding into the south america , caribean, and mexcio markets , it is expected to to start to carry a 1.3 million more passagers with a ecomonic impact of $1.2 billion annual right off this does not count any future expansion.

Also up for consideration is Houston space port if approved would make Houston one of only 7 cities in the world with a commercal space port( a vastly growing industry as private companies are becoming more and more involed in space)

Old 01-15-2014, 08:49 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
The Miami boosters have gotten out of control lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City