Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the better downtown?
Los Angeles 35 21.21%
Seattle 89 53.94%
Portland 12 7.27%
San Diego 8 4.85%
Denver 15 9.09%
Salt Lake City 6 3.64%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 02:51 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,453,451 times

Advertisements

Well some people have different levels of what is acceptable. And I mean, in order to to easily get to and enjoy all parts of the city sans car on prompt time. Urban amenities wise, yes LA has plenty of that, don't think anybody has ever argued otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 03:17 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,812,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Well some people have different levels of what is acceptable. And I mean, in order to to easily get to and enjoy all parts of the city sans car on prompt time. Urban amenities wise, yes LA has plenty of that, don't think anybody has ever argued otherwise.
Its not hard, I've lived the lifestyle in Boston and LA outside DTLA, and found it easier to live an urban lifestyle in LA then Boston ( for my personal experience, YMMV). And that was in Hollywood. It is even easier in DTLA, the most urban neighborhood in LA. I get your gist, it is just an incorrect theory, especially for this part of LA.

Getting to all parts of the city without a car seems like it is taking to much importance, locals are just living their lives (and driving very little distance wise in the LA area). I think you are looking at it too much from a tourist stand point, where you want to hit all the parts of the city.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 PM

437 posts, read 627,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Its not hard, I've lived the lifestyle in Boston and LA outside DTLA, and found it easier to live an urban lifestyle in LA then Boston ( for my personal experience, YMMV). And that was in Hollywood. It is even easier in DTLA, the most urban neighborhood in LA. I get your gist, it is just an incorrect theory, especially for this part of LA.

Getting to all parts of the city without a car seems like it is taking to much importance, locals are just living their lives (and driving very little distance wise in the LA area). I think you are looking at it too much from a tourist stand point, where you want to hit all the parts of the city.
That's a great point, growing up in LA most people stay in their bubbles since most things you need are nearby, plus who wants to deal with horrible traffic.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:24 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,764,704 times
Wow I'd actually say Portland.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:04 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,812,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dispo4 View Post
That's a great point, growing up in LA most people stay in their bubbles since most things you need are nearby, plus who wants to deal with horrible traffic.
It's not just LA - this is the case with my friends in NYC and Chicago too (I mean isn't it the cliche that moving to Brooklyn from Manhattan is practically like moving across the country). If you live in a mega city you are not going to want or need to travel all over and across the city with regularity. Those that attempt to do so end up hating the place.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:39 PM

37,047 posts, read 39,138,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Does one need to easily get to enjoy all parts of the city sans car on prompt time though? LA does have a lot of its highlights spread apart, but for many great parts of LA, you'll be able to get to and enjoy more diverse and possibly more interesting parts of the city sans car on prompt time than are available in most cities. LA, in that sense, is in pretty good company there with only NYC in the US that is substantially head and shoulders above the best parts of LA.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:01 PM

6,851 posts, read 10,927,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Does one need to easily get to enjoy all parts of the city sans car on prompt time though? LA does have a lot of its highlights spread apart, but for many great parts of LA, you'll be able to get to and enjoy more diverse and possibly more interesting parts of the city sans car on prompt time than are available in most cities. LA, in that sense, is in pretty good company there with only NYC in the US that is substantially head and shoulders above the best parts of LA.
Why would the amenities being spread out be an issue to a traveler?

Honestly, Los Angeles is a city where people should look up where they're going to be and where they need to go before they leave for the airport to get there. It's 2014, why would someone intentionally plan an entire day driving from amenity to amenity spread across the metropolitan region?

What about grouping things, multiple things to each day, like by section of the city for each day you're staying, and scheduling what you want to see in each area, so you're ahead of time, so you know what to expect. Driving will be minimal, amount of time spent in traffic would be minimal, criticism will be minimal.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 02-21-2014 at 09:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City