Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:40 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,969,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Can you explain which of those is more urban than New Orleans neighborhoods?

The answer is none. These neighborhoods are rather suburban in nature. Many don't even have sidewalks. Some are old, but not compared to New Orleans, and none are urban compared to New Orleans. There isn't one Atlanta neighborhood where homes front directly on the street, which is typical in New Orleans.

Atlanta is possibly the least urban major metropolis on earth. There are neighborhoods just outside of downtown that don't even have sidewalks, and that could be mistaken for a typical U.S. suburb, 20 miles from a city center.
You have some misinformation and a false perception about Atlanta, but this thread is not about Atlanta. Back to the on-topic discussion.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 01-26-2014 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:41 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,969,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This is about New Orleans and Richmond!
I didn't bring it up, but was responding to some misconceptions about Atlanta. My apologies...carry on.

Last edited by JoeTarheel; 01-26-2014 at 08:43 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 10:34 PM

1,513 posts, read 2,756,614 times
I've lived on and off in Miami a long time. It's only JUST developing a few neighborhoods I'd call urban. Its in no way comparable to New Orleans.

Richmond is. Which is why I live in Richmond now, not Miami. There is a difference between a congested suburb with bad traffic and a real city. Richmond has no traffic, but is a real city. Miami, awful traffic, without the city to go with it. (South Beach, Midtown, and Central coral gables are getting there, but not yet. Grove is dead sadly).

Richmond is kind of like a safer, smaller, New Orleans, as if you took Magazine and the garden district together - that's Carytown. I'd rather live in Richmond, but I love New Orleans, and think it's unquestionably more of a city. Just too many crime and city problems to go with it. But I have friends who live there, and understand why anyone would want to.

Atlanta and Miami are much more new southern cities, and outside of a few neighborhoods like the above and highlands etc, not too my taste at all. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:10 PM

30 posts, read 34,285 times
I've been to New Orleans several times. Very beautiful city and very urban. But I have to give Richmond the edge in this category. New Orleans loses a lot of density about a mile or so away from Downtown or the French Quarter. It's a very urban city. Just not as urban as Richmond.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:49 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,922,580 times
Prior to the storm, New Orleans had more than 100k people living in zip codes with a density of greater than 10k. Not sure how many we have now.

Last edited by Neworleansisprettygood; 03-02-2014 at 12:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City