Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 09:41 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I would choose to live in IL because it is a more interesting state. It is more diverse and not as backwards. Chicago is a great city, while Indiana has no such place. I also like the some of the midsize cities as well. Evanston, Springfield, Champaign, Peoria, and Rockford are all charming places. I have yet to explore the trails of the Shawnee National Forest, but hope to visit some day.

As if Indiana doesn't have its points like Indiana Dunes, Hoosier Nat. Forest, Bloomington, Pendleton, Valparaiso, French Lick, Madison and other smaller quaint towns. IL is just as backwards as IN when you take out Chicago but Indy is not so bad in itself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 09:51 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I would choose to live in IL because it is a more interesting state. It is more diverse and not as backwards. Chicago is a great city, while Indiana has no such place. I also like the some of the midsize cities as well. Evanston, Springfield, Champaign, Peoria, and Rockford are all charming places. I have yet to explore the trails of the Shawnee National Forest, but hope to visit some day.
You have to differentiate between Chicago and the rest of Illinois to reach a meaningful answer. Chicago is a huge metro area with world class amenities. Southern Illinois is a different planet than Chicago. The rest of Illinois has nothing on Indiana, they're more alike than different actually.

And as others have pointed out, Indiana is in far better shape financially, Illinois is among the least fiscally healthy states in the US. Sooner or later, Illinois is going to be have to balance their budget and deal with huge unfunded liabilities. So far all sides are burying their heads in the sand and kicking the can down the road to oblivion. I wouldn't want my future tied to the state of Illinois. YMMV

Old 03-06-2017, 05:35 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The rest of Illinois has nothing on Indiana, they're more alike than different actually.
To a certain extent I agree with the latter part of this statement, but as a whole this statement is inherently contradictory.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:18 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
And despite the high costs, more people choose to live in IL. Why is that?

And something that has not been mentioned, the salaries are generally higher in IL.
Median salary in Illinois is 10k higher.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:08 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You have to differentiate between Chicago and the rest of Illinois to reach a meaningful answer. Chicago is a huge metro area with world class amenities. Southern Illinois is a different planet than Chicago. The rest of Illinois has nothing on Indiana, they're more alike than different actually.
No I don't. Indiana has no such place to compare to Chicago. I also mentioned other cities besides Chicago that I find more interesting.

Quote:
And as others have pointed out, Indiana is in far better shape financially, Illinois is among the least fiscally healthy states in the US. Sooner or later, Illinois is going to be have to balance their budget and deal with huge unfunded liabilities. So far all sides are burying their heads in the sand and kicking the can down the road to oblivion. I wouldn't want my future tied to the state of Illinois. YMMV
Illinois has higher median salaries and a higher rate of pay than Indiana.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:32 PM

969 posts, read 2,072,170 times
As well as higher cost of living.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:51 PM

405 posts, read 475,926 times
This is waaay to general of a post. Both states have beautiful areas, and yes obviously Chicago is much more world class than any city in Indiana, although I do like Indianapolis and it is a booming city right now for employment/college grads because of the low cost of living.

It's just unfair that some people on here are comparing Chicago to a whole state, or Indianapolis to a whole state. Both have a lot to offer and are more similar than different (both midwest, similar weather and topography, only real difference IMO is politics/COL in some areas)

Old 03-06-2017, 07:39 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
As well as higher cost of living.
Which is negated by higher salaries.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:45 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Which is negated by higher salaries.
Illinois wouldn't be the # 1 or 2 state to move out of then

Old 03-06-2017, 08:12 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Illinois wouldn't be the # 1 or 2 state to move out of then
The whole Midwest is losing people or growing very slowly. So is the Northeast. Heck my state is and NY state despite have NYC back to growth. What if someone says Vegas is merely a resort and major suburban sprawl and no soul? Illinois and Indiana are more similar and sister states then the others around them. Both share a connection to Chicago.

If people have a issue with Chicago or a political one? Both states are more then that too. Its easy to read between the lines also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City