Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 07:43 PM

56 posts, read 71,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I take it your using directional correct?
Mmhmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 07:52 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599MIA View Post
Mmhmm
By your logic, every US city is a southern city. Actually anything south of the geographical north pole is.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:57 PM

669 posts, read 915,469 times
Geographically speaking he is correct actually, most those cities he listed are south of the country. Except DC and Philly of course, that just makes no sense. They are northern whether it be geography or whatever else criteria you are using.

That's why I really don't like census terms. They should have been changed a long time ago or at least be renamed to something not geographical.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Geographically speaking he is correct actually, all those cities he listed are South of the country.

That's why I don't like census terms. It should have been changed a long time ago or at least be renamed to something not geographical.
I agree.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599MIA View Post
Good list. Remove NYC and Boston it's the north.
Genius NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago and Milwaukee are all obviously in the north with Philly, NYC and Boston being the northeast and Chicago and Milwaukee being midwestern. Here study this you obviously need help with US regional geography.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Genius NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago and Milwaukee are all obviously in the north with Philly, NYC and Boston being the northeast and Chicago and Milwaukee being midwestern. Here study this you obviously need help with US regional geography.
Interstate 80 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North is north of I80 and south is south of I80

Old 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
I was born and lived for many years in New York City. Visit it about once a month because my favorite uncle lives in lower Manhattan.

I lived for many years in Miami ... still have family there. I go to Miami once a year.

Although not from here, I choose to live in Philadelphia. I don't think it's fair to compare a city with 1.2 million people with one that has 8.3 million. However I still prefer Philly. It has a very rich culture and diverse population. I think NYC has lost any historical charm it might have once had, but Philly retains it. Did you know that with the opening of the Barnes Foundation (along with our superb Art Museum and Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art) Philly now boasts MORE European Impressionists and Post-Impressionists masterpieces (by artists like Cezanne, Renoir, Matisse, Gaugan, Van Gogh, Modigliani, Picasso, etc.) than either New York City or Washington? Besides, our Fairmount Park is bigger and more beautiful than Central Park.

Miami has it's own unique vibe. It is a resort city, so it should be judged by other standards. It is wonderful.

Of all the cities on the east coast Boston is the most elegant and refined. Boston with it's unsurpassed educational institutions, is "the Athens of America." It, too, is wonderful.

Okay, my list:

1. Philadelphia
2. Boston
3. NYC
4. Miami
5. Baltimore
6. Atlanta

Old 01-19-2014, 08:25 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
This map is outdated like most things in this country. American's don't like to update s--t.

Culturally.. Maryland and DC are not really the south. If the map was based on location it would be a straight line. Notice how when it gets far east the line moves north to include Maryland and Delaware in the south when they are not located any further south than Kansas.

So if "the south" is based on location then this map is wrong. If the south is based on culture its even more wrong.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:18 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolboy Mike View Post

No it ain't the east coast is from Maine to Maryland/DC, anything south of DC is the dirty south.
I really hope you're joking.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:27 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
This map is outdated like most things in this country. American's don't like to update s--t.

Culturally.. Maryland and DC are not really the south. If the map was based on location it would be a straight line. Notice how when it gets far east the line moves north to include Maryland and Delaware in the south when they are not located any further south than Kansas.

So if "the south" is based on location then this map is wrong. If the south is based on culture its even more wrong.
That map is from the Census, which is what designates regions of the country. It's not necessarily cultural, just for the purposes of dividing and gathering information.

The definitions of North vs South are probably historical, slave states versus free states (free after a certain year of course - all original states were at some point slave states), Union versus Confederate. I understand it's blurred in the Mid-Atlantic (and MD and DE were never part of the Confederacy), but it is what it is. The US is blending more than ever, IMO, but it doesn't mean we should eliminate regional divisions for official purposes.

Parts of Maryland, for one, definitely feel Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City