Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:05 AM

709 posts, read 1,129,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That map is from the Census, which is what designates regions of the country. It's not necessarily cultural, just for the purposes of dividing and gathering information.

The definitions of North vs South are probably historical, slave states versus free states (free after a certain year of course - all original states were at some point slave states), Union versus Confederate. I understand it's blurred in the Mid-Atlantic (and MD and DE were never part of the Confederacy), but it is what it is. The US is blending more than ever, IMO, but it doesn't mean we should eliminate regional divisions for official purposes.

Parts of Maryland, for one, definitely feel Southern.
When you say "feels southern" what do you mean exactly? Can you give an example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:28 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That map is from the Census, which is what designates regions of the country. It's not necessarily cultural, just for the purposes of dividing and gathering information.

The definitions of North vs South are probably historical, slave states versus free states (free after a certain year of course - all original states were at some point slave states), Union versus Confederate. I understand it's blurred in the Mid-Atlantic (and MD and DE were never part of the Confederacy), but it is what it is. The US is blending more than ever, IMO, but it doesn't mean we should eliminate regional divisions for official purposes.

Parts of Maryland, for one, definitely feel Southern.
Also, they can't pick and choose when the Census definitions apply and when they don't.

For example, the Census defines the "Northeast" as the Middle Atlantic (NY, NJ and PA) and New England. The Census' definition of "Middle Atlantic + New England = Northeast" is valid in this case.

But at the same time, the Census puts Maryland in the South, which they believe is not valid. So instead they call the region the "Mid Atlantic," which has a different colloquial meaning (often meaning the area between North and South) than the academic and historical one (Census definition). They then go back to the original Census definition of "Mid Atlantic + New England = Northeast" to lump Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia in with the states to their north.

Since the "Middle Atlantic" to a lot of people really means "places in the historical South that aren't southern anymore," you see people placing the lower portion of the sub-region as far south as Southeastern NC. And again, since the Northeast is comprised of both New England and the "Middle Atlantic," you hear people arguing about how Virginia (and a portion of North Carolina) are now northern, northeastern or whatever.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:41 PM

244 posts, read 361,891 times
1) Boston - Great history, fantastic sports culture, crime isn't as bad as some of the others. Pretty sure Boston has some quality businesses up there as well, but I haven't been there since I was a teenager.

2) DC - It's on the way up for sure. I visited DC, though went to the "nice part" with all the museums and what not. It was great, and the scenery was beautiful. I think it is also a city on the way up. It has major crime problems in certain areas still, but the ghettos are started to be cleaned out.

3) Philly - Downtown similar to NY. Weather like NYC but a bit warmer. It has more of a historical feel than NYC though, which is nice.

4) Baltimore - Seafood and I'm a Ravens fan! Seems like an underrated cool city, but the city has a ton of bums all over the place. Certainly not a good place to live if you don't have a lot of money.

5) Atlanta - I'm not one of those people who will move to a place just because the weather is warm, which is why my last 3 places are all places that are the warmest. Atlanta also gets insanely humid too if I can recall, though I've never been there myself. A lot of crime, but it's a fairly large city that probably has a decent amount to do.

6) Charlotte - It's smaller than ATL, which is why it is ranked lower. Also, I think it is a bit too "Southern" for me. A lot of bible thumping going around those parts.

7) Miami - I find Florida to be pretty boring. Miami was cool when I went, but the place just seemed so shallow. Like am I supposed to love this place because it has palm trees and a nice beach? It's a decent city, but not really for me. Also, I hate hurricane season, which is why I'd avoid Florida like the plague. Seems like a major inconvenience to have your power getting knocked out several times a year.

Outside of there being a heavy Latin influence, there is not much in common with NYC. I didn't find the culture of the place to be all that great. Also, it's a terrible sports town. I'm a bit ignorant on how hurricanes affect ATL and CHAR , but if it wasn't for Hurricanes Miami would be placed above those places.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:47 PM

56 posts, read 71,434 times
1a NYC
1b Miami
2 philly
3 boston
4 DC
5 atlanta
6 Baltimore

Old 01-20-2014, 08:10 PM

650 posts, read 1,629,000 times
Miami
NYC
DC
Boston
Atlanta
Philadelphia
Baltimore

Old 01-20-2014, 08:38 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
We all know NYC is the king of cities.. at least in the U.S. But lets say you had to leave NYC and move to another East Coast city. Make a list from your first choice to your last choice out of these cities:

Boston
Philly
Baltimore
Washington D.C.
Charlotte
Atlanta (Its close enough to the coast)
Miami

Also give reasons for your last choice. I'm assuming your first choice will probably be the city most like NYC.
Boston - lived there and enjoyed it
Washington DC - lived there and enjoyed it less than Boston, but you could find any cuisine from anywhere
Baltimore - it's "Charm City", right? There are areas I like a lot, like Hampden.
Atlanta - Would probably take this over Philly although truthfully, I would want to stay in Northeast.
Philly - I don't like it much, but it's better than moving south.
Miami - fine for a quick trip but I wouldn't want to live there.
Charlotte - boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City