Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap/hip-hop scene?
Atlanta 152 42.58%
New York 127 35.57%
Los Angeles 86 24.09%
Chicago 44 12.32%
Toronto 16 4.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:23 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
the only current artist from toronto are Drake and the weeknd. And i think drake is awful, I do like "the language" though but historically its NYC and then LA the past 10 years it was mostly Atlanta and all of its snap and trapping music but now LA is coming back strong, Atlanta isnt as hot as it once was, Chicago unfortunately is getting a lot of new ignorant rappers that talk about murder. NYC is still kind of old though not to many new rappers coming out of nyc besides a$ap mob
K'Naan is also from Toronto.

Americans really underestimate Toronto's hip hop scene. The scene in T-Dot is booming. Other notables both new and old include Party Next Door, K-os, Choclair, Kardinal Offishall, Rich Kidd, The Airplane Boys and the list goes on.

This online guide (with embedded youtube videos) to Toronto hip hop is pretty good:

The Comprehensive Guide to Toronto Rap | NOISEY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 11:43 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Rap has been completely dominated by the south for a long time now.
Ever since the late 90's with No Limit & Cash Money Records.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:46 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Philly is in the same boat as NYC.
As far as what?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:37 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
As far as what?
They both fell off. Philly has Meek Mills, and NYC has a few rappers, but as a whole, both cities have fallen off. Atlanta, Miami, LA, Chicago, New Orleans are the cities that are shinning right now. The south has been running hip-hop for the past decade.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:40 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
They both fell off. Philly has Meek Mills, and NYC has a few rappers, but as a whole, both cities have fallen off. Atlanta, Miami, LA, Chicago, New Orleans are the cities that are shinning right now. The south has been running hip-hop for the past decade.
Honestly, I'm glad LA came back on the scene. I don't think New Orleans is shining right now. Even Atlanta outside of 1 hit disposable wonders is falling off a bit. People aren't checking for TI that much anymore which was a given. He had a long run. I probably should say the quality of Atlanta is falling off a bit.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:47 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Honestly, I'm glad LA came back on the scene. I don't think New Orleans is shining right now. Even Atlanta outside of 1 hit disposable wonders is falling off a bit. People aren't checking for TI that much anymore which was a given. He had a long run. I probably should say the quality of Atlanta is falling off a bit.
Atlanta quality has been suspected for a minute now. Too much trash coming outta that city right now. The south still dominates with LA and Chicago right behind.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:57 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Mainstream hip hop still goes to Atlanta. Underground hip hop goes to NYC.

Mainstream hip hop overall sucks no matter where the rapper is from. I'm ashamed that french montana even reps New York.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:58 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Agreed. I'm also glad that the LA scene is having the renaissance that has waited many years for.

The DMV is definitely a major up and coming region in the Hip Hop world.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Atlanta quality has been suspected for a minute now. Too much trash coming outta that city right now. The south still dominates with LA and Chicago right behind.
Even my man B.o.B. seems to have fallen off lately too Smh

Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
The Midwest is next up. The underground scene in Chicago is the rage these days, and Detroit is coming out swinging too. The Midwest doesn't have one defining sound though. You could say the "tongue twisting" multisyllabic style is the midwest trademark. I can't think of a starting 4 from any region who could hang with Eminem, Twista, Krayzie Bone, TechN9Ne in that style. Not just in speed, but in terms of finding pockets in the beat, flows within flows and still throwing in next-level lyricism and wordplay while rapping that fast. Then you have Bizzy Bone, Lupe Fiasco, Elzhi, and Royce the 5-9, and newcomers like Alex Wiley and Jon Connor who could rip 80% of the rap game in that style also.

Jon Connor - Detroit

Jon Connor - Michigan $hit feat. Royce Da 5'9 - YouTube

Alex Wiley - Chicago

Alex Wiley - Own Lane ft. None - YouTube
The only problem currently with Chicago is that the new mainstream guys that's there are choosing are horrible.

I do like rockie fresh but the whole 3hunna movement is terrible. Makes my ears bleed to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City