Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better art scene?
Chicago 28 73.68%
Philadelphia 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:13 AM

15 posts, read 30,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
I would guess rent is cheaper in Philly than Chicago too.
According to this it is only marginally cheaper. I've looked at some ads on craigslists for areas in/around both cities, and found them to be fairly comparable. Chicago tends to be about $100 a month higher in rent (for a studio apt) in most places.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Note that I'll probably be making slightly more at my dayjob in Chicago also.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2014 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Sly Artistic City - Philly graffiti history - YouTube

Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 AM

Well it looks like it's Chicago for the win. Does anyone have any other saving arguments for Philly?
Great vid btw Yankee.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:51 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,445 times
There's also a dirt-cheap bus that connects Philly's Chinatown to New York's for twelve bucks.

www.chinatown-bus.org

Search Bus - GotoBus

Old 01-20-2014, 11:06 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
I'm not too familiar with Chicago's art scene (aside from AIC of course) but just from a first impression of visiting the city a few years ago, Philly feels more "artsy".

Philadelphia has the most public art of any city in the country (including the most murals) and its collections in museums is also very highly regarded (MoA, Barnes, Rodin, etc). The narrow streets and often colorful rowhomes and streetscape only add to the scene IMO. There are unique pieces of art all over the city that can be exciting to stumble on, likes the Toynbee Tiles (that have since been seen popping up in cities all over the world).

Toynbee tiles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mystery of tiles on city streets solved in Philadelphia documentary

I also love seeing Magic Garden type constructs in different places:

Philadelphia's Magic Gardens

And I of course love all the murals.

A LOVE LETTER FOR YOU - West Philadelphia Murals - YouTube

https://www.google.com/search?q=phil...w=1278&bih=587

I think both cities have ample opportunities for artists with slight edge to Chicago for being the bigger city and drawing in fresh talent from a huge area and slight edge to Philly for its location and unique local culture. Art is something that cannot be objectively compared but an artist can thrive in either place IMO.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 01-20-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 01-20-2014, 01:20 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
It's a lot easier to live off your art in Philadelphia. Rent in NYC is insane. I would guess rent is cheaper in Philly than Chicago too.
Plenty of artists in New York do it and get by (they can live in Brooklyn or neighborhoods further out).

My point being is we should judge based on the cities alone and not their proximity to others, especially ones that two hours away.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:12 AM

2e1m51 - one of the best posts so far. I've actually see those magic gardens when I visited Philly a few years back. They really are beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City