Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More black conscious?
Chicago 35 44.87%
Philadelphia 43 55.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:36 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,069,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why should Philly lay claim to the hebrew Israelites, nation of Gods and earth, and nuwaubians? Wasn't most of the nuwaubians down south anyway?
Don't know about the rest, but the Nuwaubians were headquartered about 30 miles from me in rural Eatonton, Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,879,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Don't know about the rest, but the Nuwaubians were headquartered about 30 miles from me in rural Eatonton, Georgia.
The Nuwaubians are still in Georgia and also are heavy in NYC and Philly.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:08 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,846,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
If you're familiar, do you know if this has anything to do with some of those black Chicago gangs like Black P. Stones being heavily involved with Islam?
Yes. When Jeff Fort (founder of the Black P. Stones) was in prison, he converted to Islam. At some point he joined the Moorish Science Temple. He then renamed the Black P. Stones, El Rukn (Arabic for stone). In fact, P. Stones refer to themselves as Mo. Mo is derived from Moorish or Moor. You know how we can shorten a word. Door becomes doe, floor becomes flow, etc.

Common, "Memories on corners w/ the Foes and the Moes." Four (Foes) Corner Hustlers and Black P. Stones (Moes), both of the Almighty People Nation.

It is what it is. However, I certainly do hope that those cats get their acts together.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:13 AM

31,924 posts, read 34,428,353 times
Sunni Islam is much bigger in Philly. Natural hair is also more accepted on the East Coast than it is in Chicago.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I'm not saying Philly lays claim to one organization but just stating that Philadelphia is represented well by all of these different groups.

This is how I rank my top five based on personal experience.
1 NYC
2. Philly
3. Chicago
4. Atlanta
5. DC
I'd definitely change this order up. Radicalism is not the same as consciousness. NYC has had a lot of black radicalism, but I wouldn't say that the black community as a whole has a strong strain of black consciousness. The city has that reputation based more or less on things that happened more than 80 or 90 years ago. Nowadays the city has a very different black identity with so many immigrants fresh from the Caribbean and Africa. You also see more than your fair share of hair weaves flowing down Lenox and Nostrand Avenues.

Atlanta and DC definitely would not go at the bottom. They have the premier African American institutions of higher learning and large black middle classes. Taliah Waajid (though originally from Brooklyn) really helped push natural hair to the forefront in Atlanta. You also see a lot of natural hair in DC. It's more noticeable there than it is in New York.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,699,262 times
philly.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'd definitely change this order up. Radicalism is not the same as consciousness. NYC has had a lot of black radicalism, but I wouldn't say that the black community as a whole has a strong strain of black consciousness. The city has that reputation based more or less on things that happened more than 80 or 90 years ago. Nowadays the city has a very different black identity with so many immigrants fresh from the Caribbean and Africa. You also see more than your fair share of hair weaves flowing down Lenox and Nostrand Avenues.

Atlanta and DC definitely would not go at the bottom. They have the premier African American institutions of higher learning and large black middle classes. Taliah Waajid (though originally from Brooklyn) really helped push natural hair to the forefront in Atlanta. You also see a lot of natural hair in DC. It's more noticeable there than it is in New York.
NYC is pretty strong with all of the major black consciousness groups. NYC is so divesrse that this is not the identity of the city. 5% still do Parliment, Brother Polite New Covenant is doing his thing in Brooklyn, The Nuwaupians has the all eyes on Egipt Bookstore in Bushwick, and the ISPUK Isralites are strong.

All of the house consciouness debates started in you guess it NYC. The movement has now moved all over but started in the NYC. NYC has the strongest Pan African movement in the nation.
House of Konsciosness

My definition of black consciouness is having knowledge of self physically, mentally, and spiritually.

Last edited by ATUMRE75; 01-21-2014 at 09:17 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 09:21 AM

20,502 posts, read 33,347,805 times
All the debates have been in NYC, right? I know the three last month was.yeah NYC IMO is the center of Black consciouness but it's not head over heels over the other cities. In fact, it's pretty much exploding in every city with a large Black population.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
NYC is pretty strong with all of the major black consciousness groups. NYC is so divesrse that this is not the identity of the city. 5% still do Parliment, Brother Polite New Covenant is doing his thing in Brooklyn, The Nuwaupians has the all eyes on Egipt Bookstore in Bushwick, and the ISPUK Isralites are strong.

All of the house consciouness debates started in you guess it NYC. The movement has now moved all over but started in the NYC. NYC has the strongest Pan African movement in the nation.
House of Konsciosness

My definition of black consciouness is having knowledge of self physically, mentally, and spiratually.
But all of that is fringe stuff. There are a lot of Black New Yorkers that have never even heard of any of that stuff.

DC was the first place I ever lived where I saw a lot of professional black women rocking naturals and locks. That's rarely seen in higher professional circles. But in DC, it seemed that black women felt more comfortable undergoing the "Big Chop" because so many other women were doing it. I mean, if we're talking about self-love/self-hate, it really gets no deeper than black women and hair, and the fact that so many black women are sporting natural hair there evidences a certain degree of black consciousness. You don't see nearly that much natural hair in the Five Boroughs.

Naturals are also very popular in Philly (though weaves are still fairly popular too). Philly really helped popularize the Neo-Soul/Natural Hair trend in the 90s/00s.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But all of that is fringe stuff. There are a lot of Black New Yorkers that have never even heard of any of that stuff.

DC was the first place I ever lived where I saw a lot of professional black women rocking naturals and locks. That's rarely seen in higher professional circles. But in DC, it seemed that black women felt more comfortable undergoing the "Big Chop" because so many other women were doing it. I mean, if we're talking about self-love/self-hate, it really gets no deeper than black women and hair, and the fact that so many black women are sporting natural hair there evidences a certain degree of black consciousness. You don't see nearly that much natural hair in the Five Boroughs.

Naturals are also very popular in Philly (though weaves are still fairly popular too). Philly really helped popularize the Neo-Soul/Natural Hair trend in the 90s/00s.
Fringe stuff I don't overstand what the word fringe has to with this unless you're using it as a metaphor.

Having natural hair is great and that is the way my wife sports her hair. You will see perms and blond weaves all over the country sadly that's just how it is. I will agree that your appearance is a step towards self love or self hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City