Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
East Austin 16 40.00%
East Nashville 24 60.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 04:31 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,715,378 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to either yet, but for those who have I'm curious which of these two areas you prefer and why. Consider these neighborhoods/areas on their own merits instead of "I prefer Nashville overall so by default I prefer East Nashville" or "I prefer Austin overall so by default I prefer East Austin".

How do these two areas stack up against each other directly in terms of restaurants, stores, bars, live music, housing options, urbanity, character, transportation, proximity to their respective city centers, or any other categories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 04:30 PM

6 posts, read 5,860 times
Not really a great comparison - East Nashville is probably best compared to the South Congress or South Lamar/Zilker areas of Austin. Artsy, have been gentrifying for a while, still relatively low-density.

East Austin is far denser than East Nashville, and it is characterized a mix of mid-rise multifamily and SFHs. There is some dense development in East Nashville, but nothing close to the scale of East Austin.

Last edited by rain-city; 10-25-2018 at 04:45 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain-city View Post
Not really a great comparison - East Nashville is probably best compared to the South Congress or South Lamar/Zilker areas of Austin. Artsy, have been gentrifying for a while, still relatively low-density.

East Austin is far denser than East Nashville, and it is characterized a mix of mid-rise multifamily and SFHs. There is some dense development in East Nashville, but nothing close to the scale of East Austin.
What about restaurants, bars, and music?

Old 10-25-2018, 09:59 PM

9,684 posts, read 9,406,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
What about restaurants, bars, and music?
He was being sarcastic.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
He was being sarcastic.
Really? I honestly couldn’t tell. Is East Austin actually less dense and urban?

Old 10-27-2018, 02:38 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,413,002 times
Quote:
Outside of Mueller and E. 6th/ Cesar Chavez, east Austin is fairly undeveloped and doesn't have much outside of single family home residential areas. But that is quickly changing as the area has been discovered as "cheap" and being very close to downtown.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Outside of Mueller and E. 6th/ Cesar Chavez, east Austin is fairly undeveloped and doesn't have much outside of single family home residential areas. But that is quickly changing as the area has been discovered as "cheap" and being very close to downtown.
And how does it compare to East Nashville in that regard? It’d be awesome if someone could give a non sarcastic answer that compares the two areas.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:36 AM

9,684 posts, read 9,406,200 times
Quote:
And how does it compare to East Nashville in that regard? It’d be awesome if someone could give a non sarcastic answer that compares the two areas.
East Nashville has more housing and historic neighborhoods. Austin has more commercial development on its East side. East Nashville is more run down looking and crime ridden. You couldn't pay me to live in East Nashville.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:39 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,620,882 times
Is East Nashville suppose to be the bad, or rough part of town? I remember a few years back Todd Snider had an album titled East Nashville Skyline and made me think it must be.

East Austin use to be considered by many as the roughest part of town but has gentrified quite a bit lately and has become rather trendy with bars, restaraunts, condos and McMansions as the roughest part of Austin has up and moved to to the Northeast part of the city.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:36 AM

12,843 posts, read 9,578,282 times
Quote:
East Austin used to be where poor people lived. It's gentrifying, and it's interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City