Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More black conscious?
Chicago 35 44.87%
Philadelphia 43 55.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 12:14 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,676,262 times

Advertisements

These two cities have been major strongholds of black identity for decades now. Many of it are associated with Black Nationalism and Afrocentrism. Philly has a Muslim community, and Chicago is home to the Nation of Islam. The Black Panthers have ties to both cities.

-Black identity

-Afrocentrist

-Civil rights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 12:28 PM

349 posts, read 572,884 times
Chicago: Operation PUSH, Jesse Jackson, Fred Hampton Jr. The HQ of the Nation of Islam, Chicago defender, Ida B Wells, Slam poetry, a history of protest in Soul Music from Sam Cooke's "Change Gonna Come", leading up to Obama's election. I think Chicago is up there with NYC and Oakland in this regard. Detroit, LA, ATL, New Orleans and Philly aren't far behind though.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:40 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
I was born in Chgo and raised in Philly. I'd say these two are comparable and unique foe anyone who has consciousness of Black American history and culture. Philly is by far the most Islamic of black cities; the Islam of the Nation in Chicago is more syncretic and cultural, while the Islam of Phila. is more orthodox Sunni and traditional. Time prohibits me from delving into more comparisons at this time; inshallah I will come back later and add to the discussion.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:00 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
I give the edge to Philly. Philadelphia has the famous black and noble bookstore, ISPUK Hebrew Isralites, Moorish Science Temple, 5% Nation of Gods and Earth, Nation of Islam or FOI, Nuwaubians, and so on. Chicago has many consciousness blacks as well but Philly is on another level.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:08 PM

349 posts, read 572,884 times
Chicago is the center of the Moorish movement, but that movement hasn't been the same recently. BTW, I don't want this thread to devolve into a fight, the last thing the "black conscious community" needs is more infighting lol.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:26 PM

673 posts, read 1,186,579 times
Chicago definitely. Philly's Black scene seems to be fading away.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:25 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I give the edge to Philly. Philadelphia has the famous black and noble bookstore, ISPUK Hebrew Isralites, Moorish Science Temple, 5% Nation of Gods and Earth, Nation of Islam or FOI, Nuwaubians, and so on. Chicago has many consciousness blacks as well but Philly is on another level.
Why should Philly lay claim to the hebrew Israelites, nation of Gods and earth, and nuwaubians? Wasn't most of the nuwaubians down south anyway?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:04 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Why should Philly lay claim to the hebrew Israelites, nation of Gods and earth, and nuwaubians? Wasn't most of the nuwaubians down south anyway?
I'm not saying Philly lays claim to one organization but just stating that Philadelphia is represented well by all of these different groups.

This is how I rank my top five based on personal experience.
1 NYC
2. Philly
3. Chicago
4. Atlanta
5. DC

Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
Chicago is the center of the Moorish movement, but that movement hasn't been the same recently. BTW, I don't want this thread to devolve into a fight, the last thing the "black conscious community" needs is more infighting lol.
QUOTED FOR TRUTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoreboy25 View Post
Chicago definitely. Philly's Black scene seems to be fading away.
As long as Philly has Dr. Umar Johnson and Gary Ajamu Young (I presume that he is from and lives in Philly) it will never fade completely.

Although both live in D.C., Dr. Frances Cress Welsing and Anthony (Tony) Browder are both Chicago natives. Runoko Rashidi, L.A. born, now lives in San Antonio. Ashra and Merira Kwesi are in Dallas. D.C. has the Black Unifier and Positive Kemetic Visions. We moved to Atlanta so that our children can attend the Akoben Institute, which is owned and ran by Mwalimu and Yaa Baruti.

I'm grateful for all of the contributions that have been made, regardless of location. We have far too many divisions as is.

It's quite obvious that we are losing. Popular culture is a BEAST! There is definitely a civil war that is going in the Black community, and it is at full throttle!

Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
If you're familiar, do you know if this has anything to do with some of those black Chicago gangs like Black P. Stones being heavily involved with Islam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City