Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:19 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What's wrong with bordering the Caribbean? I'd see that as a plus, personally. For one, it shows the diversity of the East Coast.
I guess Alaska and Hawaii are grouped together too when we casually discuss the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
You forgot to include Richmond and Norfolk. Richmond could be equivalent to Louisville, while Norfolk could be equivalent to Kansas City. Richmond and Louisville are located on a river and both have southern influences but located just outside of the Southern region, while Norfolk and Kansas City have equal populations, an industrial history and are located at the edge of both regions.
They don't have that much in common besides population and river though. Norfolk is a huge military town, its economy is almost solely dependent on the large military presence there. Kansas City is quite a bit more diverse, and from what I have heard, not as rundown as most of Norfolk is. I'm not overly familiar with Richmond, at all actually, but Louisville has some pretty historic areas and is quite a charming river city.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,882,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I guess Alaska and Hawaii are grouped together too when we casually discuss the west coast.
Not usually - kind of like how I never see the Caribbean brought in when discussing the East Coast. The USVI and PR are US territories located in the eastern part of the country technically, but they don't count as East Coast. Alaska counts as west coast as it is on the western coast of the continent but usually when people say west coast they mean Washington to California.

In the post you quoted, from months ago oddly, I was not saying that the Caribbean should be counted towards the East. I was asking you why you seemed to think that being close to the Caribbean, bordering it, is bad for the Southeast.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Not usually - kind of like how I never see the Caribbean brought in when discussing the East Coast. The USVI and PR are US territories located in the eastern part of the country technically, but they don't count as East Coast. Alaska counts as west coast as it is on the western coast of the continent but usually when people say west coast they mean Washington to California.

In the post you quoted, from months ago oddly, I was not saying that the Caribbean should be counted towards the East. I was asking you why you seemed to think that being close to the Caribbean, bordering it, is bad for the Southeast.
The Caribbean is NOT part of the United States. However Hawaii and Alaska are. And no, Alaska is generally not included in casual discussion of the west coast, just as in this thread the Georgia and South Carolina coast, which have no major metros, are not worth mentioning.

In my opening post I listed the main major metros of the east coast that I was including. I added that people may add whatever cities they like, however when you're talking about the large east coast metros you usually aren't going to include Jacksonville, Charleston, Savannah, or Wilmington. South of D.C. there are no major east coast metros. It's been beat to death, you know what areas I'm talking about by the aforementioned cities I included, why attempt to derail a thread and change it to a geography lesson? Please peddle this somewhere else.

I've only returned to this thread because of two Quick reps I received on my posts.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:44 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times
I'm not trying to nitpick your choices, but I thought you were implying Northeast in your OP. If you mean East Coast south of DC, how far away from the coast counts? Would upstate NY count? Interior New England?

Anyway, an interesting comparison in how the political setup and geographical differences create differences between metros in New England and the Midwest.

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » New England vs. Midwest Culture by George Mattei

Old 08-09-2014, 01:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,059,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
I'd say Duluth is undoubtedly "rust belt," also, in its own way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
good point, parts of the Eastern 1/2 of Minnesota as well.
Not sure I'm following you, burrrrr. The Twin Cities, St. Cloud, and Rochester are most definitely not Rust Belt cities. Duluth, however, is.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm not trying to nitpick your choices, but I thought you were implying Northeast in your OP. If you mean East Coast south of DC, how far away from the coast counts? Would upstate NY count? Interior New England?

Anyway, an interesting comparison in how the political setup and geographical differences create differences between metros in New England and the Midwest.

The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » New England vs. Midwest Culture by George Mattei
I was implying northeast. I said east coast, a costly and technical mistake, but made evident by only including the mid-Atlantic and north east cities that this was the particular geographic region I was referring to.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robdreamz View Post
Somebody needs a Geography lesson! Ever heard of Miami and it's metro approaching 6 million in population? By the way DC isn't even on the "coast" but inland on the Potamac river!
WOW! Someone needs a grammar lesson! Did you realize it's = it is and its is the word for ownership? It's is a contraction.

Miami is not apart of the east coast megalopolis which stretches from Boston to D.C. No, instead going from D.C. to Miami is over 12 hours with only 1 metro over a million, and it's barely over a million. Please refer back to my earlier posts where I mentioned it's obvious I am referring to the megalopolis of metro cities ranging from D.C. to Boston.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:05 PM

867 posts, read 1,388,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
WOW! Someone needs a grammar lesson! Did you realize it's = it is and its is the word for ownership? It's is a contraction.

Miami is not apart of the east coast megalopolis which stretches from Boston to D.C. No, instead going from D.C. to Miami is over 12 hours with only 1 metro over a million, and it's barely over a million. Please refer back to my earlier posts where I mentioned it's obvious I am referring to the megalopolis of metro cities ranging from D.C. to Boston.
Im not going to argue what it is you say you are looking for, but the East Coast is ME to FLA. now the Northeast Megalopolis is what you are asking about and the East Coast has several other metros over a million below DC.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:46 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,837,014 times
It's usually understood that the East Coast means Boston-Washington. Everything south of this is included the the South. The Midwest is understood to stretch from Ohio to Nebraska, and a little north/south of this ( the Dakotas, Kansas). The Great Lakes ( i.e Rust Belt) would be one subsection of the Midwest , and the Great Plains would be the other..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City