Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston built environment will look like?
LA 61 57.55%
Miami 20 18.87%
other (explain) 25 23.58%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 04:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
Houston is already known to be its own city with its own form. Nobody is "rushing" to do anything; the OP of the thread posed a question, and the people responded. Simple as that.
Id be more inclined to buy that if:

1) I hadn't seen so many of these threads.
2) If Houston were really known as a city with its own form. Houston IS a city with its own form, but its not KNOWN for being a city with its own form outside Texas and parts of the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 10:01 AM

163 posts, read 165,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Id be more inclined to buy that if:

1) I hadn't seen so many of these threads.
2) If Houston were really known as a city with its own form. Houston IS a city with its own form, but its not KNOWN for being a city with its own form outside Texas and parts of the South.
1.) Avoid discussions you don't feel like participating in.
2.) Irrelevant.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:17 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Architecturally, Miami is diffirent form Houston. Off the bat, the abundance of Brick housing in Houston is a far cry from the stucco that is used on every House South of Daytona. Miami's housing stock is colorful and has influences from The Bahamas and other parts of the Caribbean. Also Miami's abundance of Spanish style homes, makes it indistiguishable from any city except maybe LA, or Phoenix. While Houston does have certain areas near the Gulf that have Spanish style homes and palm trees, that style is far from being the majority of what suburban Houston looks like, where as you'll be hard pressed to find any neighborhood in South Florida that doesn't have an abundance of either Palm Trees, or Spanish-style homes.

And Coconut Palms can't be grown in abundance outside of Miami and Honolulu, so if you had to guess what city a neighborhood was in by photo, just seeing those palms would narrow it down to only two cities(Miami and Honolulu). Miami is too distinguishable from the rest of The US, and I'm not just talking about Miami Beach or Coral Gables, I'm talking ever little insignificant suburb of Miami like Medley, Hialeah Gardens, Opa-Locka North, Kendall West, Olympia Heights, South Miami Heights, Cutler Bay, West Perrine, Florida City, ALL look like Miami and don't really resemble any other suburbs in any other american cities.

How many other cities most Historic neighborhoods are primarily dominated by Spanish/Mediterranean Revival architecture built in the early-1900's?

Not many.....

Old 09-24-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Architecturally, Miami is diffirent form Houston. Off the bat, the abundance of Brick housing in Houston is a far cry from the stucco that is used on every House South of Daytona. Miami's housing stock is colorful and has influences from The Bahamas and other parts of the Caribbean. Also Miami's abundance of Spanish style homes, makes it indistiguishable from any city except maybe LA, or Phoenix. While Houston does have certain areas near the Gulf that have Spanish style homes and palm trees, that style is far from being the majority of what suburban Houston looks like, where as you'll be hard pressed to find any neighborhood in South Florida that doesn't have an abundance of either Palm Trees, or Spanish-style homes.
The OP seemed to be referring more to urban infill aesthetic rather than current housing stocks. That is, in the event Houston fills up its core/densifies, which city would it resemble more: LA or Miami?

Old 09-24-2016, 10:39 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
The OP seemed to be referring more to urban infill aesthetic rather than current housing stocks. That is, in the event Houston fills up its core/densifies, which city would it resemble more: LA or Miami?
It's probably still neither.

From what I've seen, Miami isn't building infill like this. I don't know about LA, though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7697...7i13312!8i6656

Old 09-24-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

From what I've seen, Miami isn't building infill like this. I don't know about LA, though.

Ultimately, Houston will be distinct from both cities architecturally. However, if one of either cities were to be chosen as a closer match, I'd say Miami over LA, simply because both cities have architectural adaptions relating to the hot humid weather (light, pastel colors, shiny towers, etc), albeit playing out in differing ways.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:13 AM

237 posts, read 179,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

La has something similar, called Small lot developments.

But most of la infill these days are 4-7 story mixed use buildings, going up everywhere.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:47 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks3 View Post
La has something similar, called Small lot developments.

But most of la infill these days are 4-7 story mixed use buildings, going up everywhere.
It certainly is increasing the density of these inside Houston's loop and those developments do seem similar.

Another development on the same lot went from this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7578...7i13312!8i6656

to this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7578...7i13312!8i6656

This along with townhomes as well. Now the 6-8 story apartment buildings whether mixed use or not has gone up in rapid numbers as much as these developments that I linked to in my other post in Houston.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:49 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Ultimately, Houston will be distinct from both cities architecturally. However, if one of either cities were to be chosen as a closer match, I'd say Miami over LA, simply because both cities have architectural adaptions relating to the hot humid weather (light, pastel colors, shiny towers, etc), albeit playing out in differing ways.
But most of Houston's architecture isn't composed of Pastels. It's a mix of Red Brick, some pastels, Alot of non-pastel colored New Urbanism. Miami is a MAJORITY Pastels, Pastel-colored New Urbanism, and hardly ANY Brick.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:22 AM

237 posts, read 179,517 times
I'm surprised those links you posted are so close to downtown houston.

That wouldn't be dense for la.

La' s urbanization burst has caught national/global attention. I dont see Miami or Houston catching up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City