Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston built environment will look like?
LA 61 57.55%
Miami 20 18.87%
other (explain) 25 23.58%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 01:57 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,388,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
In terms of comparing Houston to any city in Florida, its closest parallel would be Tampa or even Orlando moreso than Miami. While there are nicer beaches and a stronger hospitality industry presence in the Tampa Bay Area, Tampa itself is pretty industrial and blue-collar like Houston, and also has a busy port like Houston does. While this all sounds superficial on paper, the streetscapes are very similar.
I agree, basically what I was getting at earlier. Montrose in Houston looks very similar to Hyde Park in Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 01:59 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,857,205 times
Miami does not have a large Asian population and the Latinos here are mostly not Mexican. Miami is nothing like Houston in any way shape or form. Houston always way more corporate than Miami and has more college graduates.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:01 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,733,547 times
Some of you don't know how to read

Old 09-22-2016, 02:04 PM

12,732 posts, read 21,622,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I see where he's getting at with the pines, but I agree that they don't look alike. Parts of Northeast and Deep East Texas do strongly resemble the Piedmont, however, minus the abundance of poplars.
This is what I was getting at. Montgomery County will look similar to suburban Piedmont areas once it fully develops.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:05 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,351,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Miami does not have a large Asian population and the Latinos here are mostly not Mexican. Miami is nothing like Houston in any way shape or form. Houston always way more corporate than Miami and has more college graduates.
Maybe by sheer gross numbers, how about %?

Old 09-22-2016, 03:55 PM

801 posts, read 1,504,012 times
Neither?

Old 09-22-2016, 04:12 PM

23,299 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
We can agree to disagree.
Sure; and I don't mean to be insulting. The neighborhoods you posted in Houston are attractive and were being compared to attractive suburbs in the other Coastal Plain cities. It's just that if I were plopped down in any of them I would never believe that I was in the Atlanta metro.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:20 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,202,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I thought it was common knowledge that Houston bared more similarities to North and Central Florida, but if we're comparing it to the two cities in the OP, I'm seeing more similarities to Miami.
Not as much as you'd think. I've met people here in the DMV who thought that Houston was either in the desert or prairies ...but then again, they've never been to Texas, so they don't know any better.

Like you said earlier, I agree that a lot of people associate "Miami" with what is really the City of Miami Beach (and even then, a really small part of Miami Beach at that), or even Coral Gables or Bal Harbour, that they don't realize that the City of Miami itself is very different from those areas. I'd say that Houston and Miami are not that similar at all, but have somesimilarities. Flat land and built on swampland, cosmopolitan population, etc.

I'm sure Liberty City and the Pork n Beans projects have some cultural similarities to 3rd and 5th Wards in Houston, and even then, there are vast differences. Perrine and those burbs along the US 1 Corridor to Homestead have some similarities to SW Houston, but huge differences too.

The architectural styles and culture are very different to me though. Miami and South Florida overall is far more dense than Houston due to its land constraints. Miami is even considered an outlier in Florida as well due to the unique cultural mix (Northeasterners, Cubans, Caribbeans, Southerners) there compared to Tampa, Orlando, or Jacksonville. Houston is more General Southern US, Texan, Mexican, Vietnamese, with some Cajun and Creole culture there too. A unique mix all its own and very distinct from Miami's.

Since Miami was mostly built based on tourism and leisure as opposed to Houston, which was built based on industry and business. I think that's where the disconnect comes from and why a lot of posters find it difficult to compare the two.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:34 PM

12,732 posts, read 21,622,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Sure; and I don't mean to be insulting. The neighborhoods you posted in Houston are attractive and were being compared to attractive suburbs in the other Coastal Plain cities. It's just that if I were plopped down in any of them I would never believe that I was in the Atlanta metro.
Trust me, I know you weren't being insulting.

Those links are better viewed in person. The further north you are from the coast, the thicker the pine forests and the hiller the terrain. Montgomery County looks very similar to suburban areas in the Piedmont area (it even has the curvy roads that are popular in the Piedmont area), but when you travel south of this area, that's when you get a coastal feel and a much flatter terrain with grid street layout. The biggest difference will be the concrete, since Atlanta has asphalt streets.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:48 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
The Houston/Miami comparison seems ridiculous outside a large number of Hispanics and the occasional alligator. The Beach is a huge part of culture in Miami. You have to drive an hour to get to it in Houston. Nightlife is a huge part of Miamis culture. Its one of Americans precious few party cities (the only others really being Vegas and New Orleans). Nightlife in Houston is much less a part of the culture.

The comparison with LA seems less out of left field, but still not even close to a match.

The best comparison would be something like a giant Orlando without the theme parks and a lot more diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City