Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one stacks up better for both personal preference and overall statistics.
Atlanta (Personal) 27 47.37%
Orlampa (Personal) 23 40.35%
Atlanta (By the numbers) 35 61.40%
Orlampa (By the numbers) 6 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
No man just venting and hoping people see that a comparison truly can be made.
Well comparisons can be made between any two cities, but "Orlampa" and Atlanta are just different kinds of cities that appeal to different types of people for the most part. I think "Charleigh," "Memville," or "San Austin" would be much better comparisons on the whole.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:26 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Atlanta's traffic situation is so amazingly rotten that the mayor attempted to explain the recent Snowmageddon disaster by saying that schools and businesses all let out at the same time and the roads could not handle it. That this was even thought to be plausible as a valid excuse just goes to show you how screwed up Atlanta's traffic is.

Sorry, a premier city requires circulation patterns that work. Atlanta is a giant parking lot. It got this way because Atlanta was successful...past tense.
Census Bureau News -- Texas Dominates List of Fastest-Growing Large Cities Since 2010... -- WASHINGTON, June 28, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

Atlanta best American city to start a business - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Ill take more reputable sources word over yours

Old 02-06-2014, 04:33 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
It's also already been proven that:
a) Atlanta lacks a cohesive and compact downtown/city core and instead has a sprawling mess of buildings cut off by freeways and/or MARTA tracks and really pushes it's tourist attractions as to why downtown is so great! News flash, nobody cares to live in a city's downtown for the tourist attractions like World of Coke or such and such museum. I'm getting tired of insulting your big, but really lacking city core and explaining how a smaller town feel is the better option for many.
Wrong.Try again.
Quote:
With more interest in urban living, Downtown’s residential base has been growing, along with the number of apartment and condo options in the area. The area’s population is approaching 30,000, and retailers are taking notice of this growing and affluent market. Nearly 230,000 square feet of new shops or restaurants are being built or are planned for Downtown, which will only further attract residents and visitors.
http://http://atlurbanist.tumblr.com...sidential-base

b)Atlanta lacks natural lakes within the city and suburbs for which endless hours of skiing and wakeboarding has been logged for me and my friends in February.
Well maybe having a Lake in the middle of a city is not the best place to encourage urban living.
But glad you are happy.
We have the Chattahoochie and several lakes in the metro area.Don't know what you are talking about.
Lake Lanier ,Lake Altoona to name a couple.

And we have mountains.Try hiking in Orlando.

c)Atlanta lacks proximity to the coast and therefore one cannot enjoy beach days of surfing, riding bikes, jumping in the waves or knocking back some drinks in the ocean.
True,but apparently with so many people moving here it does not seem most people care about that.
Even so Savannah and the Georgia coast are within a 3-4 hour drive

d) Your fishing and golfing suck compared to ours too. We have the ocean (hello), countless lakes as mentioned above, the intercoastal waterway, and too many other places to name.
Don't care about fishing.Glad you obviously due.

e)Atlanta lacks any real theme park and especially one that is open year round.
So do most cities.Im not a theme park guy anyway.Its America.When I want to go,Ill go to Orlando like most people do in America.Not a big deal.

f)Atlanta lacks proximity to a colonial era town like St. Augustine where real history can be found. This garbage about Atlanta being a historical town is news to me. I guess it's like that thing you said about Florida's history being a secret too, doesn't count if nobody knows about it right?? And even if I conceed that Atlanta, rightfully so has more history, who really cares. I'm only going to go to the museum for a few hours, get bored and wonder, what do I do next in this awesome big city...?... that's right I can go to the store that kicked out Oprah and never buy anything!!
LOL.You sound unhinged.But anyway,Savannah is within a few hours.It is more popular than St.Augustine by far.And far nicer.

And yes Hermes is here but so are many other exclusive stores that Orlando does not have.

g) Atlanta lacks an MLS team, Orlando just got one.
Soon.Very soon.
MLS Commissioner Don Garber says expansion pushes in Miami, Atlanta "making progress" | MLSsoccer.com

hAtlanta lacks an NHL team, "Orlampa" has one.
True.How is that football and baseball team?Oh thats right.Never mind.
i)Atlanta lacks a cigar city heritage that Tampa boasts which is about as subjective as you putting down "Orlampa" for not having any civil war/civil rights stuff.
Really dude?LOL.Ok.You got us.

j)Atlanta lacks the king of entertainment options that come along with having world class theme parks in your city. I enjoy access to permanent Cirque and Blue Man shows for taking out of town guests.
Umm we have shows that will never get to Orlando because the market is too small,but glad for you.

k) Atlanta lacks a Salvador Dali museum where you can see the most complete collection of his works.
Yes I know.I saw some of its works when it was in Atlanta Along with exhibits from around the world at the High Museum.Exhibits not seen in the U.S. for over 50 years.
You should have seen it!It was great!Too bad you only seen the less popular ones in St.Peterburg.http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/03/ar...anted=all&_r=0

l) Atlanta lacks the largest collection of Tiffany glass in the world and therefore really the museum/art gallery argument isn't really holding water now is it.
So does NYC,Philly,L.A. and so many other cities.So what?LOL

m)Atlanta lacks the tropical feel and Hispanic culture present in "Orlampa." This impacts every aspect of life in the area. We have el sabor de Cuba, Puerto Rico, la Bahama, Port au Prince, y mucho mas. We have muy caliente nightlife and a foreign language dominating our landscape in many parts of the region which is pretty sweet and very international.
Well Im American and although I welcome diversity and multiculturalism,I don't want to feel like im in another country unless I'm actually in another country.
NYC is international but you still know you are in America.
If anything that has been a complaint about Orlando from people I have heard from that live there.

m) Atlanta lacks a livable climate in the winter months. We're dining al fresco on Park Ave while you guys are camping out on I-85.
Now you are being ridiculous.If Atlanta is not liveable in the winte than so s 90% of America.Stop being silly.
n) Atlanta lacks the ability to watch history made (not dwell on past history in some 2nd rate museum) when a launch takes place at the nearby spaceport.
So MLK Jr is second rate.tell the thousands of people that visit his tomb from all over the world.To bad you think people honoring a man that helped millions of suffering people is second rate and "dwelling" in the past.Just rude.You are making people from Orlando look bad.

o) Atlanta lacks having the 2nd and 1st busiest cruise ports in the world less than 1 hour and 3.5 hours away respectively. Throw in Tampa's port and it's right there in town for you to catch a weekend cruise getaway.
You got us!So happy for you.Im so excited to take a cruise and catch a disease or get stranded in the middle of the ocean!I'll pass

p)Atlanta's airport lacks the feel that you've reached a real place that people want to be. Instead, it's all setup to take you as efficiently as possible to another plane that will get you out of town as quickly as possible.
Actually there are two terminals.One for Intentional traffic and the other for Domestic.
So are you saying efficiency is a problem?Airports are suppose to get you out of town.DUHHHH!

q) Atlanta may have some highly rated luxury hotels but it cannot compete with the resort style hotels that Tampa has near the beaches and Orlando has near its attractions. Bottom line, I'd rather be at a fun in the sun resort with lots to do than a $700 dollar a night skyscraper with direct access to a big city that never was.
You might but they keep coming and they keep building more.As far as a city "that never was" is all your opinion which is obviously worth little.
r) Orlampa may not have the elite college like Atlanta has, but we have some great schools within an hour of the area so let's not whip it out and measure so much. We could easily get a great education in either place.
But you don't so I will.

s) Only in your imagination does Atlanta have better food than Orlampa. Maybe it has more, because there are more people there, but any example you point out can be found here as well. You live in Atlanta, not NYC for christ's sake.
Exactly.Not NYC like you live in Orlando of all places for christsake!At least Atlanta has had top ranked resturants.Something Orlando never has.

t) While our economy is dominated by service workers due to the abnormal abundance of those kinds of jobs, we have plenty of high skilled jobs here. I wouldn't mind the corporate base Atlanta has at all, but let's not pretend for a moment that Atlanta is silicon valley or something like that where a trendy corporate culture is actually a factor of everyday life in town.
No Atlanta is not Silicon Valley but it ranks highly in high skilled workers and jobs.This affects the quality of life when you cannot have a stronger tax base due to lower salary and wages.
Things like museums,public transportation,roads,sidewalks,schools etc are a result of having a more affluent population.Some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country are in Atlanta

u)Atlanta lacks the lack of snow generally associated with better weather locales like Tampa and Orlando.
YAWN.....I can tell you are running out of stuff.
v)Atlanta lacks truly interesting wildlife like gators and lizards which say to the observer, wow, I'm somewhere not like most of the US.
Thank god!I don't wanna walk outside to find a "gator" on my lawn!

w) Atlanta lacks the proximity to another big city like Miami which I'm glad to say, smokes Atlanta in just about every category a city can be measured in.
Actually it does not.Its a poor as Orlando and it lacks a decent public transportation.
and crime is as high or higher

x) Atlanta lacks a lack of over-sized freeways that look like rivers of souless concrete flowing through a narrow and uber linear city core.
Well its city core is the fastest growing in the U.S. after New Orleans.People must like it!I know I do.

y)Atlanta has months and months of dead grass and brown trees, talk about a drag. But no worries they do have the World of Coke lol.
Ok.Now you are just being childish.
z)Atlanta lacks a downtown that is for the locals, by the locals. Instead they have to share Peachtree (which I know is every street) with loads of tourists (and homeless I might add).
I live downtown and I already showed you and article about how downtown is growing.

See, one for every letter of the alphabet. I'm sure we could go back and forth for days and nobody's mind is gonna change. However I'll be busy enjoying some of what makes Orlampa a great place to live and a far more sought out destination.
You actually proved my point.Pretty much all you said was pointless and an obviously transparent attempt to show Orlando/Tampa as something its not.
Its a growing area that has a LOOOONNNG way to become something more than a regional city that attracts people only because it provides fun for people who want to have fun but LEAVE to go back where they actually WANT to live.
Just accept your city for what it is.Stay in you lane.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:37 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
This thread has run its weary course. Time to shut it down.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City