Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 06:32 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times

Advertisements

Are those numbers only for shooting victims? People kill with other methods. According to this website, Chicago is at 307, 258 by gunfire

HeyJackass! | Illustrating Chicago Values

And any stats should be taken with a grain of salt...the CPD has been caught manipulating data...and then there is the fact that emergency trauma care continues to advance over the years...many of those who were wounded (some 1500 plus so far) may have died decades ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 08:12 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Are those numbers only for shooting victims? People kill with other methods. According to this website, Chicago is at 307, 258 by gunfire

And any stats should be taken with a grain of salt...the CPD has been caught manipulating data...and then there is the fact that emergency trauma care continues to advance over the years...many of those who were wounded (some 1500 plus so far) may have died decades ago.
The website you quote includes justifiable homicides and police shootings in their numbers, most other trackers do not. Shootings have also decreased over the past decade. Also, while medical technology has improved over the years, it is very difficult to argue that is entirely the cause of the improving homicides stats. And if you do so, you have to argue that the decrease in homicides in NYC and LA are also largely due to improving medical care.

The Redeye homicide tracker (http://homicides.redeyechicago.com) has 288 as of 9/10/14.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
The website you quote includes justifiable homicides and police shootings in their numbers, most other trackers do not. Shootings have also decreased over the past decade. Also, while medical technology has improved over the years, it is very difficult to argue that is entirely the cause of the improving homicides stats. And if you do so, you have to argue that the decrease in homicides in NYC and LA are also largely due to improving medical care.
Medical technology has made a big difference, though I don't think it's the biggest cause of improvement. However, shootings have increased in NYC this year over last while homicides have decreased. Either:

1) Shooters have worse aim this year, possible as shootings seem to increasingly by inexperienced teenagers rather than professional criminals.
2) Medical care improved
3) Non-shooting deaths decreased. In 2012, 57% of murders in NYC were with a gun*. Can't find data for other years.

*Huh, Chicago's % looks much higher, is that right?

Old 09-11-2014, 11:57 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Medical technology has made a big difference, though I don't think it's the biggest cause of improvement. However, shootings have increased in NYC this year over last while homicides have decreased. Either:

1) Shooters have worse aim this year, possible as shootings seem to increasingly by inexperienced teenagers rather than professional criminals.
2) Medical care improved
3) Non-shooting deaths decreased. In 2012, 57% of murders in NYC were with a gun*. Can't find data for other years.

*Huh, Chicago's % looks much higher, is that right?
My guess is Chicago has a much higher % gang population, and they use guns to kill each other. I would bet over 90% of homicides in Chicago are gang related.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
My guess is Chicago has a much higher % gang population, and they use guns to kill each other. I would bet over 90% of homicides in Chicago are gang related.
I believe NY also has laws which mandate minimum jail time if you're arrested illegally carrying a gun. Illinois does not have such a law, so there's much less fear of going out in public armed.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 09-11-2014 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I believe NY also has laws which mandate minimum jail time if you're arrested illegally carrying a gun. Illinois does not have such a law, so there's much less fear of going out in public armed.
Well, we definitely could use a law like that in Illinois.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Well, we definitely could use a law like that in Illinois.
Such a law was proposed in 2013 in Springfield, but was tabled. Supt McCarthy spoke out in favor of it, but many politicians from minority neighborhoods were opposed because they argued that it would lead to even higher levels of incarceration within their communities, plus there's the issue of how to pay for all the additional prisoners.

http://www.npr.org/2013/10/24/240309...faces-scrutiny
http://www.wbez.org/news/emanuel-pus...fective-106621
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131...for-gun-crimes

Old 09-11-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Such a law was proposed in 2013 in Springfield, but was tabled. Supt McCarthy spoke out in favor of it, but many politicians from minority neighborhoods were opposed because they argued that it would lead to even higher levels of incarceration within their communities, plus there's the issue of how to pay for all the additional prisoners.

Proposed Minimum Sentencing Law In Illinois Faces Scrutiny : NPR
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel pushes 3-year mandatory minimum sentences for gun crimes but research shows minimums are ineffective | WBEZ 91.5 Chicago
Aldermen Push Back Against Mandatory Minimum Sentencing for Gun Crimes - Downtown - DNAinfo.com Chicago
Thanks, I was completely unaware of that. Kind of infuriating that people would be against it. Much better than gun control laws, which obviously have not worked.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:11 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

1) I cannot believe anybody would think that official police statistics for homicides would magically not include anything but shootings? I mean, your posts are usually kind of sane, but.....................this one is just.....I have no words. It's just absolutely absurd. To think that.

2) HeyJackass is an interesting site, but their stats are ALWAYS too high. If you want to see a more legitimate 3rd party source, you look at the Redeye's homicide tracker. The only thing is that they include self defense homicides, which is something the FBI doesn't count. Even so, their numbers with that are very close to what the police department reports. The Red Eye looks more at reports, the news, etc. and their totals are still something like 35 below HeyJackass.

http://homicides.redeyechicago.com/

Also regarding shootings, if you look at the Chicago Tribune's site, you'll realize that shootings this year have slowed down a bit. A few months back, this year was on track to be about the same as last year if not more. However, as of 9/12 at the current rate, there may be 300 less victims this year versus last year.

Last edited by marothisu; 09-13-2014 at 06:29 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 06:20 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Medical technology has made a big difference, though I don't think it's the biggest cause of improvement. However, shootings have increased in NYC this year over last while homicides have decreased.
I thought that once too until I found an article from 1992 talking about shootings in Chicago. I calculated out the percentages and you actually had a better chance of living if you were involved in a shooting back in 1992 versus 2013. I'm not sure if their aim was off back in the day, but it's true.

City Shooting Casualties Soaring - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Citywide, during the first six months of 1992, the 7,285 shootings was an increase of 8 percent over last year.
In 2013, there were 2185 shooting victims in Chicago. That means there were 3.33X more shootings in Chicago in the first months of 1992 than the entirety of 2013. Calculate the percentages and you realize that the percentage of people who actually die from shootings is greater today than when there were 12,000 - 15,000 shootings per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City