Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 07:32 AM

23 posts, read 33,952 times

Advertisements

Hi-

We currently live in a suburb of Richmond, VA-born and raised. We are a single income household with one toddler. My husband works for a large financial institution and is educated as far as an MBA. I am a stay at home mom and also attend graduate school at Virginia Tech to finish up in the spring of '15.

We are looking to move and are having a hard time deciding between Texas and Florida. Here are our pros and cons. Hoping to get some solid, constructive advice.

Florida:
Pros:
-we have several family members in the Orlando area. We would solely be looking at moving to the Lake Nona area or East St. Cloud area- closer to Lake Nona.
-Weather!!!!! We HATE Virginia winters- right now it's around 12 degrees and snow still on the ground.
-We are both runners and I compete in triathlons- the ability to do those things year round would be amazing.
-More things to do, larger city.
-beaches/travel destinations within driving distance

Cons:
-my husband would more than likely have to find a new job.
-It gets super hot in the summer and humidity is a beast.
-schools do not seem anywhere near as good as what we currently have.
-crime is higher
-house prices seem high for what you get, even compared to Richmond/architecture isn't completely our style.

Texas:
Pros:
-my husband would more than likely be able to stay with his current company, which we love
-awesome school systems
-lower cost of living, more bang for the buck
-voted best towns to live in, lots of family friendly activities, low crime
-weather is better than Virginia
-more things to do, larger city.
-more organic grocers/big box stores/farmers markets and healthier living options close by
-ability to run/bike/swim outside more of the year than in VA.

Cons:
-no family anywhere nearby/more expensive and harder to visit family in Virginia/Florida
-weather is not as nice as florida year round
-beaches are hard to come by- further to go to get to destinations for vacation
-traffic

And anything else you can think of that I may not be thinking of or left out. The job thing is pretty big for us because my husband loves his company. When I graduate, I can pretty much work at any college or possibly a large corporation based on my degree. Please be kind if I am adding too much info or not enough. I am happy to supply more information or back out some. Just looking for some solid advice.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City