Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 07:14 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

I found an article in the Denver Post by an editorial writer (Jeremy Meyer) claiming these cities have more similarities than differences and don't really bring polarities and strong rivalries like many past sports matchups. Topography and climate aside would you agree that there are perhaps strong cultural links between the two cities? That and is it a bit ironic and maybe a bit of a running joke these two respective states are the only two in the US currently having legal marijuana. Check out this article and discuss.
Meyer: Denver and Seattle, Super Bowl sister cities - The Denver Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Post View Post
For a big game like the Super Bowl, you want a narrative.You want a story of contrasts, a raging conflict of rivals. You want villains, and teams that hate one another. You want Celtics vs. Lakers, Yankees vs. Dodgers. East Coast vs. West and cities that are polar opposites. The problem with Super Bowl XLVIII is Seattle and Denver are not a study in contrasts. The cities are more alike than not. Disregard that Seattle is surrounded by water and gets more rain and Denver is on the high rolling plains and gets more sun — the two cities have almost duplicate résumés. Last week, tourism agencies for both cities even sent a joint press release explaining their commonalities. (I can't see Boston and New York ever doing that.) The release said:

• Both Seattle and Denver were founded in the 1850s.
• They have nearly identical populations: 634,264 for Denver and 634,535 for Seattle.
• Both were rescued from deep depressions when gold was discovered in nearby drainages.

The press release failed to mention the most obvious recent connection: recreational pot...........

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-24-2014 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 PM

53 posts, read 175,944 times
Since I've lived in both for over 10 years I feel I am qualified to give an observation from my point of view....and for those wanting a hate-hate rivalry..no can do.

To me, both cities have a very can-do attitude. They've both seen ups and downs in their economies in the last generation, yet both have re-bounded quite strongly. They both strike me as having a high respect for education and social progress, and are outdoorsy and young- minded.

The differences are the obvious, and are well mentioned in the article from the Post;
As for natural weather and topography issues; Seattle is a sea-faring city and is built on hills surrounded by water. The grey, wet days are well known and for me quite beautiful.
Denver's positioning on the plains makes it a less hilly area with few major water bodies....and LOTS of sunshine and wide open vistas.

Both are western. I laugh when I hear people on here claim that Denver is Midwest. Sure, lots of people from the Midwest have migrated there but there is a reason the Denver Post has a major section called "Denver and the West". Denver is historically western and it and Seattle owe much of their character to that aspect of their history. Both are frontier towns that have relied heavily on the adjoining mountainous areas for the economic benefit of lumber, mining and now, recreation.

Also, both are new economy cities with the best days still ahead, and that is very much ingrained in the feel of each. There's a positive feeling that I've found lacking in other cities where I've traveled.

As for differences; I must say, in my experience, Denver people seem to be more welcoming and open. In Seattle I experienced the infamous "freeze" and I didn't know I'd gotten it until many years later when I read online that some folks had given it a name. For me it was a distinct outwardly "nice" interaction, but a definite cold shoulder that never quite welcomed you. Luckily, however, I did meet some awesome people in Seattle who I love very much.

Upon moving to Denver it was the exact opposite. I met some of my best friends within 6 months. The openness was striking. I'm not sure what that's all about but that aspect of Denver was quite refreshing.

As far as sheer physical beauty...I have to go with Seattle. Gorgeous hills, trees and water. Denver is no wallflower though. And for urban living , Seattle has the edge there too. But Denver is progressing at an amazing rate.

For football; Broncos have the history and the team. GO BRONCOS!

Old 02-02-2014, 08:23 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Ouch Denver.......

Old 02-02-2014, 08:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Well Seattle has an NFL team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City