Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most bitter city rivalries
Miami vs Los Angeles 1 0.58%
Washington DC vs New York City 3 1.73%
Atlanta vs New Orleans 2 1.16%
New York City vs Boston 23 13.29%
Atlanta vs Washington DC 1 0.58%
New York City vs Chicago 19 10.98%
Atlanta vs New York City 0 0%
Houston vs Atlanta 13 7.51%
Houston vs Los Angeles 1 0.58%
Dallas vs Houston 38 21.97%
Philadelphia vs New York City 7 4.05%
Philadelphia vs San Francisco 3 1.73%
Philadelphia vs Chicago 1 0.58%
Los Angeles vs New York City 26 15.03%
Los Angeles vs San Francisco 26 15.03%
San Francisco vs Oakland/East Bay 4 2.31%
San Francisco vs Seattle 5 2.89%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:15 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times

Advertisements

DC is growing like crazy and becoming a more urban cosmopolitan place. It is not and will never NYC - is fine

DC is doing its own thing a bit - In some ways will never really be a true NE city but is fine.

I like that DC is defining itself as a truly great urban and cosmo place - its about time our capital is doing this. I dont see as a rival though to NYC

They are just different animals - DC is becoming more like London (not there yet though) in a sense than it is like NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:47 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Funny that Dallas v Houston is winning this poll. My impression over many years is that CD posters seem to be quite concerned about this rivalry if they're from Houston; Dallas, not so much.
You'd have to spend more time in the Texas forum. The official "Houston vs. Dallas" thread probably has the highest post count of any topic on this website, and, believe me, Dallasites do more than their fair share of mud slinging.

Outside of the internet, I rarely see this rivalry displayed as anything other than friendly jabs and competition. Imagine having that sibling that you loved to death yet despised all at the same time.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,060 times
LA has more of a rivalry with San Diego than with San Francisco.

Last edited by bruhms; 03-16-2014 at 11:27 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 10:51 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I voted for DC and NYC just because while it may not seem like a rivalry now, I think it will in the next decade or two. DC is becoming a very vibrant, gentrified, cosmopolitan city. Every year DC gets more urban and more international and Washingtonians have already started comparing themselves to NYC, and many New Yorkers have already started talking about how DC is nowhere close to NYC (New Yorkers always do this when a city is becoming competitive with them)
ROTF!! You made my day.

I agree though DC is about to top NYC and we'll be an afterthought after the world realize DC is the true urban international city of America.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
LA has more of a rivalry with San Diego than with San Francisco.
I don't know anyone in LA that sees SD as a rival. San Diego is the cute little resort-like city to the south that is exceedingly pleasant and livable, but has little in the way of culture. LA has big city problems but also contains the largest collection of creative human capital ever assembled on earth, with the cultural amenities and cultural exports to show for it.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:20 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
DC is growing like crazy and becoming a more urban cosmopolitan place. It is not and will never NYC - is fine

DC is doing its own thing a bit - In some ways will never really be a true NE city but is fine.

I like that DC is defining itself as a truly great urban and cosmo place - its about time our capital is doing this. I dont see as a rival though to NYC

They are just different animals - DC is becoming more like London (not there yet though) in a sense than it is like NYC
Really? I see DC going more in the Paris direction. Not only in terms of aesthetic, but I think DC will become a very cultural city based on arts and tourism. Whereas NYC will continue to be a center of economics, much like London

Old 03-16-2014, 04:07 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Really? I see DC going more in the Paris direction. Not only in terms of aesthetic, but I think DC will become a very cultural city based on arts and tourism. Whereas NYC will continue to be a center of economics, much like London
And NYC or London are not?

Also I see DC more similar to London than Paris from an arts perspective TBH (London has more organic artists however) - biggest difference to me is that DC of these is producing the least amount of new arts - My home town probably does moreso - there is a difference between having large museums and large theaters and producing artists - Paris/London/NYC all produce many artists - DC not so much

I like DC but edgy art production is probably not its strong suit - producing large lobbys and bureaucracy sure

Some of the best artists in DC are out in VA horse country TBH

Just get annoyed when people make DC out to be more than it is - its doing great but cultivating new artisit - meh not so much

I also think the Paris/DC aesthetic is way overblown - maybe the street grid but beyond that have trouble seeing it

Hell Philly has a street directly designed after the Champps but Philly aint no paris - well outside of the massive French Impressionist collection here maybe

Old 03-16-2014, 11:04 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:

Nor does DC really want to be like New York City but I see what your trying to say though.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:

Also I see DC more similar to London than Paris from an arts perspective TBH (London has more organic artists however) - biggest difference to me is that DC of these is producing the least amount of new arts - My home town probably does moreso - there is a difference between having large museums and large theaters and producing artists - Paris/London/NYC all produce many artists - DC not so much

I like DC but edgy art production is probably not its strong suit - producing large lobbys and bureaucracy sure

Just get annoyed when people make DC out to be more than it is - its doing great but cultivating new artisit - meh not so much

I also think the Paris/DC aesthetic is way overblown - maybe the street grid but beyond that have trouble seeing it

Hell Philly has a street directly designed after the Champps but Philly aint no paris - well outside of the massive French Impressionist collection here maybe
Some of them have been setting up shop in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, Mt. Rainier, City of Hyattsville, Takoma Park, etc. for a good while. Other than that, you'll find more of them in Annapolis, maybe Frederick, up in the Baltimore area, Charlottesville, and Richmond.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:

Street grid and the height limit. DC however, was designed more similar to Versailles that the actual city of Paris. DC, most especially the original L'Enfant City part, was created several decades before Paris as we know it was re-designed by Haussmann.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City