Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CSA or MSA?
CSA is a better measure of "metro area" 74 30.71%
MSA is a better measure of "metro area" 167 69.29%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 01:40 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
To me DFW is basically seamless. This is especially true in the Western half of Tarrant County. Places like Grapevine, Southlake, Arlington and Mansfield tie into Dallas in a way, nowhere in Baltimore MSA ties into D.C. Now maybe if Arlington Virginia was in Southern Howard or Western Anne Arundel it would make more sense. But Arlington legitimately feels in the middle of the city. You do not feel like any Baltimore or D.C suburb between them feel that closely related. The closest is Columbia. Even the airport feels far more firmly in Baltimore’s orbit than D.C’s.

DFW is so connected the counties directly north of FW is in the Dallas M.D. on top of that the area of South Dallas with the most people I’d the SW portion around Grand Prairie/Mansfield and South Arlington which is all in Tarrant County.

I would argue DFW is basically more connected than any twin city in the U.S barring MSP, or ones literally across a state boundary from each other, (KCMO and KCKS).
Nothing has to tie into "DC". That's what makes it all one big CSA. Bowie, MD ties in to DC no more than Crofton, MD and vice versa tying into Baltimore. Washington DC and Baltimore city proper have very little to do with what makes them an economically linked region of the country. They make up 140 sq miles of a 8000-10,000 sq mile region spanning multiple counties and jurisdictions. You're talking about what would make them "feel" more seamless, but that's not how it works in most NE-Mid-Atlantic metros. Suburbs just run into the back of each other in this region and over time establish connection in both directions. Which is why you have a blur of mild/medium density suburbs at best spanning that transition zone of the two MSA's. This however, has nothing to do with the overall connection that the grander region has.

1/3 of BWI's passenger traffic is from the DC MSA. It's the busiest in the region due to being in an overloaded metropolis close to both cities. The airport is 9 miles from the DC metro area boundaries, and that metro area is more than twice the size of Baltimore's MSA, come now, use logic here...

There's also nothing like MARC commuter rail in DFW area, which connects Baltimore and Washington like one region of two cites/suburbs. DFW's an MSA, but there's definitely a strong reason why Washington and Baltimore make up one CSA.

Last edited by the resident09; 07-22-2021 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
To the people in Baltimore, it's still Baltimore or Washington. To the people in DC, it's Baltimore/Washington. To Maryland's Governor, it's the DC suburbs, and... Nope, just the DC suburbs.
Lol... To KodeBlue. Sorry they didn't make you the mayor yet.

You really just be making stuff up dug. Last time I landed I BWI they played a message from Gov. Hogan on the intercom, that stated "Enjoy your stay in the National Capital Region" At "Baltimore's" airport.

You love to push your narrative though.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:05 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Baltimore and DC just arent that separate at all. different, yes? Separate, no.

It's a big CSA. The physical environment of the burbs that make up the majority of the physical landscape is virtually identical

Old 07-22-2021, 02:13 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol... To KodeBlue. Sorry they didn't make you the mayor yet.

You really just be making stuff up dug. Last time I landed I BWI they played a message from Gov. Hogan on the intercom, that stated "Enjoy your stay in the National Capital Region" At "Baltimore's" airport.

You love to push your narrative though.
I've heard it too. Did you hear that message over the intercom before Hogan was governor? You know that man despises Baltimore, and you also know that he is a DC centric Governor. DC publications have written about his disdain for Baltimore. People in Baltimore aren't talking about how we live in the "Capitol Region," we live in the Baltimore Region.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Baltimore and DC just arent that separate at all. different, yes? Separate, no.

It's a big CSA. The physical environment of the burbs that make up the majority of the physical landscape is virtually identical
Do you feel like you're in the Baltimore Area while in DC? Personally, Hell no. I feel like an out of towner in DC same as I would in Philly.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:04 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Nigerian Nightmare even more than Miami and Fort Lauderdale or LA and Long Beach?

Or Phoenix and Mesa with Tempe in between?
I wasn’t thinking of LA/Long Beach, Also Long Beach is more of a satellite city than a twin, Especially because of the 10 time population difference between city limits but that’s probably closer. Mesa and Tempe are suburbs. Their basically nicer Arlington or slightly older Plano. Of course, Phoenix is also a young city. But these places hit 100,000 folks in the mid-70s (Mesa/Tempe/Arlington). Phoenix had a massive boom in the 50s, into a large city. It’s akin to calling a place like Georgetown, Texas or Pasadena Texas a major satellite city. Their really nice and well developed burbs, that started of as small towns, but still clearly in the burb department and at most satellite city.

Fort Lauderdale and Miami is an interesting one. I would consider Dallas more connected to Fort Worth but I could see how someone wok argue the opposite.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 07-22-2021 at 04:00 PM..

Old 07-22-2021, 03:09 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Do you feel like you're in the Baltimore Area while in DC? Personally, Hell no. I feel like an out of towner in DC same as I would in Philly.
I don't feel so out of town because I'm not from either region originally and I lived 2 miles outside of DC before I ever moved to BMore. I feel like I'm a bit more objective in my assessment than a lifer at least in terms of the general feel of cohesion. Not the finer points of culture though

Old 07-22-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I've heard it too. Did you hear that message over the intercom before Hogan was governor? You know that man despises Baltimore, and you also know that he is a DC centric Governor. DC publications have written about his disdain for Baltimore. People in Baltimore aren't talking about how we live in the "Capitol Region," we live in the Baltimore Region.
This is extremely unscientific. What people in Baltimore? And what people in "DC"? There are business leaders in Baltimore who acknowledge Baltimore's status in the broader region.

All we can go by is development patterns and business/ personal activity.

"Capital Electric Supply" is based all around the region with locations in Baltimore:

https://www.capitalelectricsupply.com/about/locations

"Capital Tristate" warehouse is also in Baltimore:

https://web.marylandbuilders.org/Lig...-Tristate-1733

These companies don't have locations in Philly nor Richmond in either direction, and have the name "Capital" in their title. The people walking North Ave on a Sunday morning have little to do with what CSA Baltimore gets to be a part of.

The Port of Baltimore serves the state of Maryland and entire DC-Baltimore CSA region. I don't get the denial honestly. Baltimore never has or will lose it's identity as a city or area. The larger suburban area surrounding the city has just blurred into it's already larger neighbor. Baltimore and it's suburbs are now a part of a larger dual-metropolis.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I don't feel so out of town because I'm not from either region originally and I lived 2 miles outside of DC before I ever moved to BMore. I feel like I'm a bit more objective in my assessment than a lifer at least in terms of the general feel of cohesion. Not the finer points of culture though
DC and Baltimore are simply too close to never not be associated as "one" again in their history. They are 38 miles apart. That's not even a trip around the Beltway from end to end. Locals who grew up in either city have spent the bulk of their lives explaining to others the differences between the two and how "we ain't like" the other one. Which culturally speaking still reigns true. We ARE however full blown connected and a part of the same dual-metro region. No different from the Bay Area, or South Florida, or LA-Riverside/OC, or Dallas-Fort Worth. Each region has their different nuisances etc. but Washington DC-Baltimore will forever by the outside world be compared as a single unit of two cities. Even if us locals completely feel the opposite of how we "want" to be associated with the other city.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This is extremely unscientific. What people in Baltimore? And what people in "DC"? There are business leaders in Baltimore who acknowledge Baltimore's status in the broader region.

All we can go by is development patterns and business/ personal activity.

"Capital Electric Supply" is based all around the region with locations in Baltimore:

https://www.capitalelectricsupply.com/about/locations

"Capital Tristate" warehouse is also in Baltimore:

https://web.marylandbuilders.org/Lig...-Tristate-1733

These companies don't have locations in Philly nor Richmond in either direction, and have the name "Capital" in their title. The people walking North Ave on a Sunday morning have little to do with what CSA Baltimore gets to be a part of.

The Port of Baltimore serves the state of Maryland and entire DC-Baltimore CSA region. I don't get the denial honestly. Baltimore never has or will lose it's identity as a city or area. The larger suburban area surrounding the city has just blurred into it's already larger neighbor. Baltimore and it's suburbs are now a part of a larger dual-metropolis.
That's just a name of a company. That has no relevance to what were talking about. The Port has no relevance either. If it did, would you think that the Port of Charleston and Georgetown could be the 9th largest port in the country just simply by serving the Charleston area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City