Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 06:34 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I used to think that when I live in New York.

But OC, Ca is totally different animal than LA.
Once you live here for a while, you will understand.
I've lived here for two years.

Yes, but only in the sense that all suburban areas that are well beyond a city proper are different, more conservative than the central city. But Orange County would not be Orange County if it wasn't for the fact its adjacent to LA.

Coming from New York, one can say the same thing about North Jersey or Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 06:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
LA > > OC > > > Houston

I felt Irvine was pretty sterile, but the beach areas are nice there. Haven't explored enough of the rest of OC.

Interestingly enough, at the broad level Orange County is still denser than Houston.

OC 789.40 sq mi pop 3,010,232 density 3,813.3/sq mi
Houston 599.59 sq mi sq mi 2,160,821 density 3,623/sq mi

Old 01-27-2014, 06:38 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
LA > > OC > > > Houston

I felt Irvine was pretty sterile, but the beach areas are nice there. Haven't explored enough of the rest of OC.

At the broad level Orange County is still denser than Houston.
Very true. Even Santa Ana is 11,000 pp/sqmi. When you have mountains and major hills, it forces development to be more compact.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Orange County is basically a suburban extension of LA even though people like to talk about them separately.

LA/Orange County for me.

Houston I would get fat/overweight in. Sweltering summers, pancake flat landscape = little to no strenuous outdoor recreation. Plus good barbeque. However, culturally I think its got more than people realize.
You'd be surprised and where did you find a good BBQ joint at in Houston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
LA > > OC > > > Houston

Interestingly enough, at the broad level Orange County is still denser than Houston.

OC 789.40 sq mi pop 3,010,232 density 3,813.3/sq mi
Houston 599.59 sq mi sq mi 2,160,821 density 3,623/sq mi
I fail to see what's interesting about that.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:33 PM

29 posts, read 40,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is one of those major cities you either love it to death or hate it no in between.

Sorry H-Town didn't work out for you. It can be intimidating.

Houston wasn't intimidating to me at all. I'm originally from Miami, Houston seemed to be very slow paced and boring to me. Not much to do outside of going out to eat and drinking. The major parks are nice but you have to drive to get there and it's only nice during fall and spring. I don't think Houston is as culturally diverse as people say, it has different cultures but it's very segregated here.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Different mindsets, different pace.
OC swings conservative. LA tends to be a bit more liberal.
Coastal Areas are different from Mountain Areas which are different from the Inland Areas.

The most important thing is to locate as close to your job as you can. Traffic isn't judged by miles, but how long it takes to get from point A to point B.

The job can be in Anaheim or in LA. I would have a choice of which area I would like to work in. I heard Anaheim is horrible. I was looking into Laguna Beach.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:54 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Anaheim has some very nice residential areas (Anaheim Hills for example).
There are numerous business clusters. some awful and decrepit, others extremely nice.

It is very spread out (but not anything like LA), with a larger population than Pittsburgh or St. Louis. Where you live should be dependent on where you work.

I would not recommend Laguna Beach. There are only two main roads going in and out of town and they can get very congested.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is one of those major cities you either love it to death or hate it no in between.

Sorry H-Town didn't work out for you. It can be intimidating.
Nobody from another city finds Houston intimidating. Only people from small cities do.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Anaheim has some very nice residential areas (Anaheim Hills for example).
There are numerous business clusters. some awful and decrepit, others extremely nice.

It is very spread out (but not anything like LA), with a larger population than Pittsburgh or St. Louis. Where you live should be dependent on where you work.

I would not recommend Laguna Beach. There are only two main roads going in and out of town and they can get very congested.
Thanks for the heads up. I was told Long Beach wasn't far from LA and Anaheim. I may look into that area.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,003,171 times
Long Beach is a very good place to live if you want to enjoy the amenities of both LA and OC. The light Rail system will take you right into Downtown LA.

Stick to the area south of 7th Street, or stay inthe Bixby Village/Bixby Knolls area around the University
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City