Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best city for black professional s
Philadelphia 27 21.09%
Atlanta 80 62.50%
Houston 35 27.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:48 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Meh--from what I've observed, educated middle class professional blacks are doing okay in Philly. Not great, okay. Most of the educated middle class blacks live in the city, spread about, amongst working class, blue collar, and other variations of black folks. This isn't a problem, necessarily--but it can make networking, and getting to know other blacks that are similar positions and fields as you are--somewhat of a challenge. In other words, while Philly has rich black history, a large black population and gives you a unique urban experience--it is mostly a blue collar city, and as a whole the black middle class are spread amongst the city center, without a real "home" so to speak. In the greater Philadelphia suburbs they are scattered in pockets(especially if they have kids and want their kids to go to good schools), and are especially difficult to network with, let alone build friendships with as a transplant. What Philly has going for it is it's art scene, history, food(but only food close to the city lol), and the large black population. I've met a number of educated, middle class black folk, that were living in areas that are mostly associated with "working class" demographics. I don't know how well you'll eat in Philly as a black man in IT, but I can tell you that unless you work for a company with a black affinity group where you can network--or you join meetup, you're going to have to really put yourself out there, go to church, and so on to meet other blacks that are like you. In terms of nightlife? LOL. Every black person I met, when I moved out here three years ago, told me that the nightlife for blacks(bars, clubs, events, etc) in the city is mediocre. Many find themselves going to DC, NYC, and other neighboring places. I too have found that the nightlife in the greater philly suburbs is lacking for blacks. This is a normal thing--I've lived in other areas that are the same. The difference, however, is that Philadelphia by large seems to a bars and pub type of city. And no matter how many blacks are present in the city--there are certain areas where many of the nice bars have very little minority presence.

The only plus I can offer is that if you are in to spoken word, arts, concerts and such, you'll find a lot of venues for that....

As a whole, I don't believe Philly blacks are doing as well as blacks in ATL and Houston. In fact, there was a list of the top cities where blacks are doing well economically, financially, etc, and Philly was not on the list. ATL, and Houston were both on the list though. ATL and Houston also are known to have pretty good social scenes for blacks as well.
I lived in the Philly area on the Jersey side for a year and this is pretty accurate. But the region does have a lot of untapped potential that I hope is soon realized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 12:21 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
I remember reading something that said Philly was among the worst city for black-white income gap. Philly and Chicago...

Old 07-07-2016, 12:28 PM

93,268 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I remember reading something that said Philly was among the worst city for black-white income gap. Philly and Chicago...
I don't know, as if this info is still relevant, there may not be too much difference among most metros: http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/b...e=&CPIorderBy=

Old 07-07-2016, 12:32 PM

93,268 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Meh--from what I've observed, educated middle class professional blacks are doing okay in Philly. Not great, okay. Most of the educated middle class blacks live in the city, spread about, amongst working class, blue collar, and other variations of black folks. This isn't a problem, necessarily--but it can make networking, and getting to know other blacks that are similar positions and fields as you are--somewhat of a challenge. In other words, while Philly has rich black history, a large black population and gives you a unique urban experience--it is mostly a blue collar city, and as a whole the black middle class are spread amongst the city center, without a real "home" so to speak. In the greater Philadelphia suburbs they are scattered in pockets(especially if they have kids and want their kids to go to good schools), and are especially difficult to network with, let alone build friendships with as a transplant. What Philly has going for it is it's art scene, history, food(but only food close to the city lol), and the large black population. I've met a number of educated, middle class black folk, that were living in areas that are mostly associated with "working class" demographics. I don't know how well you'll eat in Philly as a black man in IT, but I can tell you that unless you work for a company with a black affinity group where you can network--or you join meetup, you're going to have to really put yourself out there, go to church, and so on to meet other blacks that are like you. In terms of nightlife? LOL. Every black person I met, when I moved out here three years ago, told me that the nightlife for blacks(bars, clubs, events, etc) in the city is mediocre. Many find themselves going to DC, NYC, and other neighboring places. I too have found that the nightlife in the greater philly suburbs is lacking for blacks. This is a normal thing--I've lived in other areas that are the same. The difference, however, is that Philadelphia by large seems to a bars and pub type of city. And no matter how many blacks are present in the city--there are certain areas where many of the nice bars have very little minority presence.

The only plus I can offer is that if you are in to spoken word, arts, concerts and such, you'll find a lot of venues for that....

As a whole, I don't believe Philly blacks are doing as well as blacks in ATL and Houston. In fact, there was a list of the top cities where blacks are doing well economically, financially, etc, and Philly was not on the list. ATL, and Houston were both on the list though. ATL and Houston also are known to have pretty good social scenes for blacks as well.
What about a suburb like Cheltenham, where it is a generally middle class suburb that is about 33% Black and has some parts of the school district area that are predominately Black? Its Black median household income is actually above state and national figures in that regard. It is also a good school district and I believe that the school enrollment is pluralistically more/predominately Black. For instance, here are recent high school demographics for Cheltenham High: Cheltenham HS - Public School

More info: Search for Public Schools - Search Results

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-07-2016 at 12:48 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Not sure about the city proper, but for the metro areas neither Philly or Chicago are at the top nor are they scraping the bottom of the barrel. http://soba.iamempowered.com/sites/s...NAL_forweb.pdf (p. 11)

Old 07-07-2016, 02:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:

The "home" of Middle Class blacks in Philly is mostly Mount Airy/Cedarbrook, parts of West Philly like Overbrook/Overbrook Farms, Wynnefield, etc. and parts of Germantown. And outside the city-as mentioned Cheltenham, Wyncote, Abington and some others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know, as if this info is still relevant, there may not be too much difference among most metros: http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/b...e=&CPIorderBy=
Wow-Philly and Atlanta are nearly identical on this metric.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Wow-Philly and Atlanta are nearly identical on this metric.
That's pretty outdated. Check out the link I mentioned in my previous post; that study is based on up-to-date stats.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:28 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's pretty outdated. Check out the link I mentioned in my previous post; that study is based on up-to-date stats.
Thanks-on the unemployment metric Atlanta, Philly and DC all appear similar with Houston leading. Chicago is pretty further down.

On income Atlanta/DC are the clear leaders with Boston, NYC, LA, Philly, Detroit and Chicago all more similar to each other than to DC/Atlanta and Houston in between.

I'd actually say Philly is underrated in this regard especially considering the difference in COL between Philly and NYC, LA and Boston. Not sure about the other cities but Philly has a long history of blacks working in city Government and Police Dept/Fire and places like Septa, Peco, PGW as well as private industry.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 07-07-2016 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 10:58 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Does this mean Houston is better for blacks due to higher income levels and lower unemployment rates than the other black metros? lol

Old 07-07-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Does this mean Houston is better for blacks due to higher income levels and lower unemployment rates than the other black metros? lol
DC still has the highest income levels for Blacks easily. It looks like Houston has the lowest Black unemployment rate among the major metros ranked in the study I linked to though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City