Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state do you prefer?
Ohio 44 48.89%
Georgia 38 42.22%
Neither 8 8.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:14 AM

11,045 posts, read 12,313,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I generally don't get involved in these threads, but I just read all 14 pages.

I obviously prefer Georgia over Ohio, but part of that is because this is where I'm from. In this thread we have people in Boston and San Francisco as the main antagonists, and a Georgian or two that are letting them get under their skin. Just relax. I'm sure there are great things in Ohio.

A word of advice though. Georgia has a lot more to offer than Atlanta. There is a tendency for those transplants "Inside the Perimeter" to be wary of other parts of the state. We don't bite.

As far as the mountains go, have a look at my profile picture if you want. I snapped it myself, near home.
An antagonist? For answering the OP's question and not agreeing with Georgians? Please.

One man's antagonist is another's protagonist. You people should probably visit Ohio sometime. See the world. It's bigger than just Georgia.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:13 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,208,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
People will move for a job but most people are not going to move somewhere they hate not even for a job.Or at least they won't stay there.

I have never heard of anyone moving to Ohio because of it's COLI have heard and met people move to Georgia for that reason.
People come to Georgia without a job all the time.Why?Because they WANT tp be here.

People are not flocking to Ohio because they like it.If people move to Ohio it more than likely because of family or a job.Rarely for a "lifestyle" change.

People do move to Georgia for a better quality of life.Im not saying Georgia is perfect but having nicer weather a relatively low cost of living is a major plus.

Atlanta is by far the biggest city but Savannah,Augusta and Columbus all have population that are growing.Not shrinking because there are being jobs created in those cities also.

All of those cities are reinventing themselves and are becoming more popular.Especially Savannah.

Savannah Port is booming!With its expansion its about to really explode in the future.
Brunswick is the other booming port.
Georgia us very aggressive in getting business.

One example is NCR moving from Dayton a few years ago and now is headquartered in Atlanta.

Its not just American companies but international ones too.Atlanta ranks fourth in the U.S. by number of foreign companies with their North American headquarters located here.Just behind Toronto.
It must be a desirable place if even international companies keep locating here.

Never heard of anyone moving to Ohio because of it's low cost of living, eh?

Well now you have. My wife and I moved here and that was one of the reasons. Beautiful older housing stock, excellent education and fine colleges and universities, diversity, a decent minimum wage, four seasons, the Lake, pretty hidden towns to explore and friendly people.

We LOVE Ohio.

Bragging about the beaches in GA? The whole state is practically land locked. We make no pretense about having an Ocean Beach (but if we want to visit one, they are not far) but we do have an awesome Lake Coast with a very beachy feel.

GA beaches are not much when compared to FL, CA and LI,NY. Now those are beaches.

What turned us off most about GA was how RED that state is. Here there is a nice mix and everyone gets along and tones down the whole political vibe.

The other thing was the god awful ugly faux plastic Mc Mansions on tiny plots of land.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:45 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,016,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Bragging about the beaches in GA? The whole state is practically land locked.
I think you're confusing Georgia with Alabama. Alabama has beaches on the gulf because Florida doesn't reach all the way to Mississippi. Georgia has miles of Atlantic coastline [google if you care how many.]

Old 02-10-2014, 09:23 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,659,331 times
As I asked the op long ago here, "Why did you create this thread..?" It did not seem as though it really was done in an attempt to learn anything through listening to each other or to spread knowledge.
Unfortunately it smacked of being a flame war right from the beginning & it has gone straight down that path, complete with personal insults & namecalling.
This thread needs to be terminated.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:31 AM

37,794 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Bragging about the beaches in GA? The whole state is practically land locked.
LOL, no. Not at all. Georgia doesn't have a very long coastline compared to SC and especially FL, but it's not "practically landlocked."

Quote:
GA beaches are not much when compared to FL, CA and LI,NY. Now those are beaches.
But this thread isn't about GA vs. FL, CA, or NY. It's GA vs. OH.

Quote:
What turned us off most about GA was how RED that state is. Here there is a nice mix and everyone gets along and tones down the whole political vibe.
GA isn't deep red (it actually went blue in '92) and is actually trending towards swing state status within 10 years. If Hillary runs in 2016, she will have a realistic shot at the state.

Quote:
The other thing was the god awful ugly faux plastic Mc Mansions on tiny plots of land.
You act like those are scattered all throughout the state (when they are mostly found in a couple of exurban areas in metro Atlanta for the most part) and that OH has none. If you don't like them, don't live in one; simple.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,716,978 times
Quote:
Never heard of anyone moving to Ohio because of it's low cost of living, eh?

Well now you have. My wife and I moved here and that was one of the reasons. Beautiful older housing stock, excellent education and fine colleges and universities, diversity, a decent minimum wage, four seasons, the Lake, pretty hidden towns to explore and friendly people.

We LOVE Ohio.

Bragging about the beaches in GA? The whole state is practically land locked. We make no pretense about having an Ocean Beach (but if we want to visit one, they are not far) but we do have an awesome Lake Coast with a very beachy feel.

I should clarify my statement.Not many people from other regions are moving to Ohio.Sure if you are from Indiana or Kentucky.

Either way I'm happy you are happy.Im not here to prove anything but to be factually right.

A beach is a beach.Not a lake with a beachy feel.
We have Lake Lanier and it has a man made beach but it is NOT a beach

There is over a 100 miles of coastline in Georgia.If you never been how do you know what the beaches are like?
Have you never heard of Savannah?Or Sea Island where the Cloister is.Its where the G-8 met and its the Lodge at Sea Island,the number one rated hotel in the U.S.
Best hotels in the USA 2014* - NY Daily News

Most of Georgia beaches are protected by the state and federal government so no they are not teaming with tourist but they are beautiful and pristine.

Have you never heard of Cumberland National Seashore?Its considered one of the most pristine Atlantic coast environments in America

Its your loss if you think there is nothing to see there.

McMansions have pretty much been banned in most places since the mid 2000.
You don't nearly see as many McMansions as you claim.

Those types of house were a result of people with money moving in older established neighborhoods building huge houses that look nothing like the surrounding neighborhood.
Its not often you see a neighborhood of just McMansions.

At least not in Atlanta but I have seen them in cities like Raleigh,and even smaller cities like in Augusta.
Even so,Atlanta has some of the most diverse housing options you will find in any city.

Personally I find those smallish prewar style brick houses all over Ohio and the Midwest uninspired and just ordinary.

Georgia was Democratic all the way up till 2000.The last election their was less than a 6% divide DEM/REP.As far as Red states go,Georgia is not that red.

File:Red and Blue States Map (Average Margins of Presidential Victory).svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-10-2014, 11:18 AM

6,610 posts, read 8,972,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
An antagonist? For answering the OP's question and not agreeing with Georgians? Please.

One man's antagonist is another's protagonist. You people should probably visit Ohio sometime. See the world. It's bigger than just Georgia.
Just as all of the people in favor of Ohio are not from Ohio, "you people" are not all from Georgia - and the borders are open so we do travel. Why would anyone think otherwise? What a strange and misinformed thing to say.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:17 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,939,949 times
Quote:
People will move for a job but most people are not going to move somewhere they hate not even for a job.Or at least they won't stay there.

I have NEVER heard anyone say Im moving to Ohio because of its COL.I have heard and met people move to Georgia for that reason.
People come to Georgia without a job all the time.Why?Because they WANT tp be here.

People are not flocking to Ohio because they like it.If people move to Ohio it more than likely because of family or a job.Rarely for a "lifestyle" change.

People do move to Georgia for a better quality of life.Im not saying Georgia is perfect but having nicer weather a relatively low cost of living is a major plus.

Atlanta is by far the biggest city but Savannah,Augusta and Columbus all have population that are growing.Not shrinking because there are being jobs created in those cities also.

All of those cities are reinventing themselves and are becoming more popular.Especially Savannah.

Savannah Port is booming!With its expansion its about to really explode in the future.
Brunswick is the other booming port.
Georgia us very aggressive in getting business.

One example is NCR moving from Dayton a few years ago and now is headquartered in Atlanta.

Its not just American companies but international ones too.Atlanta ranks fourth in the U.S. by number of foreign companies with their North American headquarters located here.Just behind Toronto.
It must be a desirable place if even international companies keep locating here.
North Dakota is the fastest-growing state in the US. Do all those people really like North Dakota, or is it based on economics? You can pretty much overlook almost anything if you have a good job. Weather, geography, even cultural amenities are all very low on the list of importance, and that is shown time and time again by Census surveys on migration. The same is true for Georgia, Ohio and every other state. Believe it or not, not everyone moving to Georgia does so because they're in love with it, nor does everyone moving out of Ohio do so because they hate it there.

Georgia is more expensive than Ohio: Cost of Living 2nd Quarter 2013 If people are moving to Georgia from Ohio for that reason, they didn't do their research.

No, they move to Georgia because of things like perceived COL or the expectation that they can easily find a job vs. where they're moving from. Those things aren't necessarily true anymore, but perception of something being true can outlast a change in reality. Georgia, and indeed the rest of the Sun Belt, does not exist outside of the realities of why people move from state to state or region to region. It's not high school and this isn't a popularity contest. Economics, or even the perception of them, trumps everything else. They move to Ohio for the same reasons they would move to Georgia. The bottom line is, there is nothing special about why people move there.

People don't move for weather, though. Or more to the fact, less than 1% of all annual state to state or regional moves are climate-related. That tends to be about 500 people or less, spread over 50 states. Most people couldn't give a crap about Georgia's weather vs. the North, or vice versa. This is a myth and people should really stop repeating it.

Atlanta is Georgia's economic center, much like Chicago is Illinois'. It's one of the nation's largest cities. So why wouldn't it have attraction to foreign and domestic companies? I don't think I was arguing against that, anyway.

Georgia may be entering a period of problems, though. Its labor force has been dropping every month since early 2013 and is now about where it was during the peak of the recession. Not that Ohio's is great, either, but if we're talking about how terrible Ohio is doing economically, you have to wonder why this is happening. 2013 was also one of Georgia's slowest years for growth since 1989. Since the recession, the state has had a string of very weak domestic growth years, especially compared to pre-recession during the 2000s and 1990s. International migration has been trending down gradually since about 2001. In fact, in 2013, Georgia lost people domestically for the first time in decades and saw its international growth slow even more. Some of this is probably related to less people moving than they used to, as it is happening in most states. It also may be an indication that the Sun Belt boom is seeing the beginning of its end. It was never going to last forever. Meanwhile, though, Ohio had its strongest growth since pre-recession. Its international growth was the highest since 2001 while its domestic rate was the best since 1996.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 02-10-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Congrats that it probably took you an hour to type this post up. Want me to tell you, simply, why Georgia is growing?

Because they buy companies with incentives. And since Gov. Kasich has come into office, his administration has been doing the same with JobsOhio. And the program has been wildly successful at getting new jobs - but it's also very expensive.

All the tax revenue going into JobsOhio (like the $200 mil incentive package to land the Sears HQ that fortunately never materialized, $50 mil to keep American Greetings, etc) is not going into our schools. Or our roads. Or other infrastructure (like mass transit or pedestrian areas), caring for our poorest citizens or wild areas, historic preservation, etc. is not happening instead.

Want some proof? Take a look at any subdivision built in the Atlanta area in 1985. Take some pictures and post them here. Then come to Ohio and post some pictures from a subdivision built there in 1985 (your pick of which city you choose). Include shots of the landscaping, roads, sidewalks, storm drains, etc.

That's the difference.
One point of disagreement... JobsOhio is awful. It's basically run by Kasich's friends and has had very little success for all the money thrown at it.

The positives, at least, are that the state's tax burden, both for citizens and businesses, has been going down, which is better for job growth long-term, and makes the state more competitive (it's already one of the cheapest states to live in).

Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
LOL.You are really grasping.
If you think Im about to start posting pictires of subdivision with landscaping,roads and sidewalks etc,you have lost your mind.You do it.
I do know that Georgia's infrastructure is ranked higher than Ohio's overall.

Dude.Read what you just wrote.You guys spent money to KEEP a company you already had.
And others millions to get one you failed at getting that is on the brink of going under!(Sears)

Ohio is doing all it can just to keep whatever business it has from leaving while Georhia is creating its home grown industries as well as attracting others from elsewhere.

We have Georgia Tech Reserch Corporation which is an incubator for high tech job growth.
We also have the FASTEST growing port in the U.S. in Savannah.
Both states are ranked in the C's for infrastructure. If Georgia's is better, it's not by much, and I have to wonder what will happen when all that newer infrastructure starts to show its age. Legacy infrastructure costs are the real killer.

All states spend money to keep companies they already have. You're saying Georgia doesn't? Please.

You guys tried to take Wendy's. They came back. How much did that cost Georgia?

Ohio has the largest private research firm in the world, with Batelle. Who cares what 2nd rate organization you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City