Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Dallas which city do you prefer?
Seattle 259 67.98%
Dallas 122 32.02%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 01:20 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I can agree, Dallas is flat but the metro area does have hills between Dallas & Fort Worth. Also it has the Trinity Forest, and while it's no competition since Seattle blows Dallas out of the water in that category, at least it does have some type of variety. If you want flat go to the Texas panhandle.
Flat isn't necessarily bad ... I live in a very flat town and there are a lot of beautiful things to see in this area. Miami is very flat ... and still produces a beautiful scenery. Hills don't impress me on their own, either. I lived in a town that had a few hills here and there and it was so very dull everywhere you went. Atlanta was kinda neat because its downtown is on a hill, and it makes everything seem taller. Dallas doesn't have neat effects like that. I would love to see Mt. Rainier in the background of downtown one day though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 02:34 AM

157 posts, read 296,590 times
Well this is a good one here...
I do love Seattle because the scenery of the Sound along with the Forested mountains of the Olympic Mountains and the background view of the Cascades and the majestic Mount Rainer hard to ignore..
The cons would be it's cool/wet climate which is necessarily bad but sometimes being in drizzle/light rain with temps in the low 50s to upper 30s can be annoying (bad for bicycling, outdoor activities, etc.), Expensive housing, expensive groceries, too isolated, high number of homelessness
Dallas is a progressive city with lot's of fortune 500 companies, it's not as scenic as Seattle mostly because Dallas is mainly flat to some hills also, but it is forested along with a prairie look to it also and has lots of suburban neighborhoods, great job opportunities here and for growth as well.
Cons would be the Summer Heat honestly from Late July to Early September but all depends too on the Gulf of Mexico and wind directions to determine the weather here. Crazier weather with risks of Tornadoes, Flooding, Severe thunderstorms, Large Hail and in some cases Occasional Ice storms in the winter .. something Seattle doesn't see instead get Snow at times.
So it just depends what you'd go for more.. all have to do with personal taste, family relocation, jobs...

Old 02-11-2015, 03:27 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
People like me actually think the rain and overcast sky are wonderful for 9 to 10 months a year. I have experienced Dallas, Austin, Houston. Grew up in the Pac NW. Ironically I live in Phoenix, but I have a dream of moving back to my cloudy paradise some day.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:25 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Flat isn't necessarily bad ... I live in a very flat town and there are a lot of beautiful things to see in this area. Miami is very flat ... and still produces a beautiful scenery. Hills don't impress me on their own, either. I lived in a town that had a few hills here and there and it was so very dull everywhere you went. Atlanta was kinda neat because its downtown is on a hill, and it makes everything seem tallerDallas doesn't have neat effects like that. I would love to see Mt. Rainier in the background of downtown one day though!
I can't say I ever observed that effect. It was neat how the buildings seemed to slope and almost lean along the terrain, but I can't say it made them appear taller.

I actually feel that Dallas has almost perfect terrain for me. It's just hilly enough and just flat enough. After living in Atlanta and the DMV, I'm realizing that I'm just not extremely fond of hilly cities in general.

My ideal city would be mostly flat and surrounded by hilly/mountainous wilderness.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:58 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
You can always identify someone who has no idea about what they're talking about when they begin spewing age-old high suicide rate myths that has been proven false.

How about you travel a little more and educate yourself before running off mindless opinions.
You don't know what you're talking about. It's not a mindless opinion. Face the facts! I know the truth can be painful. You can't tell me all these people over decades are all wrong.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Wow. This thread really took a turn for the childish. Not that I'm surprised. This is City-Data after all.

Bottom line (IMO) is that these are just two very different cities. Each has their own set of pros and cons, and each attracts (for the most part) very different personality types into their population. I personally prefer Seattle, but I certainly don't hate Dallas, and have no need to slam Dallas just because I'd much rather live in Seattle. There are a few categories in the criteria posted by the OP where Dallas is the clear and obvious winner. It doesn't mean that either city is "better" than the other.

People in these forums always have to turn everything into a "my city is better than your city" pi$$ing match. It's so predictable and boring. Just accept the fact that different people have different preferences, and get over it.
I have being saying that since I got on City Data. This site is just entertaining how stupid and mad people get over the most trivial of things. Totally agree on your post. This site is so damn entertaining thou, it might as well be Fox News.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:17 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
You don't know what you're talking about. It's not a mindless opinion. Face the facts! I know the truth can be painful. You can't tell me all these people over decades are all wrong.
Educate yourself, troll:

The 15 Most Suicidal Cities In America - Business Insider

Seattle isn't even in the Top 15 highest suicide rates--sunny Las Vegas is, which defeats your entire unfounded opinions. Funny how a simple one-minute Google search can provide so much information, isn't it?

Old 02-11-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Educate yourself, troll:

The 15 Most Suicidal Cities In America - Business Insider

Seattle isn't even in the Top 15 highest suicide rates--sunny Las Vegas is, which defeats your entire unfounded opinions. Funny how a simple one-minute Google search can provide so much information, isn't it?
You're the troll. So basically anybody that says anything bad about Seattle is a troll? OK so the stats on this have changed. You shouldn't get so mad about this. Take a deep breath, watch a couple of Dr. Phil episodes and everything will be OK. If everyone in the world doesn't think Seattle is utopia, it will be OK.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:15 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
You're the troll. So basically anybody that says anything bad about Seattle is a troll? OK so the stats on this have changed. You shouldn't get so mad about this. Take a deep breath, watch a couple of Dr. Phil episodes and everything will be OK. If everyone in the world doesn't think Seattle is utopia, it will be OK.
I don't think the person stating facts is the troll but the one giving false facts . And yes if the person is saying bad tthings about any city if there not true how are they not a troll?

Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
I don't think the person stating facts is the troll but the one giving false facts . And yes if the person is saying bad tthings about any city if there not true how are they not a troll?
It's called discussion but if that's too complex for you to understand then that's OK too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City