Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these cities has the best mass transit system?
Chicago 87 45.08%
Boston 30 15.54%
San Francisco 14 7.25%
Washington DC 85 44.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:29 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,559,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
That happened one time, lol. Like literally one day.

There was were a few stations closed over the summer on a section of the Red line. Those stations are now back open. I have been on MTA in NY and seen stations closed for maintenance, so yes. Run of the mill issues IMO.

This all sidesteps the point of the CTA system under performing for a city of it's size. This point cannot be side stepped no matter the motives of anyone commenting in this thread.

And where are your current on time performance stats coming from? Metro has been on a two year Safetrack program that intentionally was done to improve safety of the system, at the expense of those performance percentages. Come back to me in 2020 with an on time performance percentage and lets see where the two systems at full speed fare to.
Ok and that's not normal and rather unprecedented, it's still worth pointing out. Closing entire stations aren't run of the mill issues, NYC is in crisis mode right now too so not really a good comparison there.

You're trying to sidestep and downplay service quality issues which is far more important to current riders of any transit system than what percentage of the rest of the city takes it. SF has a higher percentage of transit users than Chicago too, does that make its system better?

They were from Jan 2018 it looks like: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ameri...224037402.html

Yes I'm sure in the future Metro will improve but as I pointed out at this moment in time someone may choose Chicago's system now as being better given Metro's current situation. I never suggested things were going to stay the same or worsen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 12:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,091 posts, read 7,502,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ok and that's not normal and rather unprecedented, it's still worth pointing out. Closing entire stations aren't run of the mill issues, NYC is in crisis mode right now too so not really a good comparison there.

You're trying to sidestep and downplay service quality issues which is far more important to current riders of any transit system than what percentage of the rest of the city takes it. SF has a higher percentage of transit users than Chicago too, does that make its system better?

They were from Jan 2018 it looks like: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ameri...224037402.html

Yes I'm sure in the future Metro will improve but as I pointed out at this moment in time someone may choose Chicago's system now as being better given Metro's current situation. I never suggested things were going to stay the same or worsen.
So you sidestep and downplay lower volume on the system, I downplay either one time or planned maintenance/performance issues that are common on any major system. Fine.

Still doesn't wipe away the more than 200 million yearly trips that aren't a "nightmare":

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/best...transportation

It isn’t just size that makes D.C.’s transit system the best in the U.S. The typical transit commuter in D.C. spends 36 minutes traveling to work each day. That is 10 minutes below the average for the 136 cities in SmartAsset’s study. It is also just 8.6 minutes slower than the typical commute time for a driver in the District, the smallest difference among cities in which a significant percentage of the population relies on transit.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
So you sidestep and downplay lower volume on the system, I downplay either one time or planned maintenance/performance issues that are common on any major system. Fine.

Still doesn't wipe away the more than 200 million yearly trips that aren't a "nightmare":

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/best...transportation

It isn’t just size that makes D.C.’s transit system the best in the U.S. The typical transit commuter in D.C. spends 36 minutes traveling to work each day. That is 10 minutes below the average for the 136 cities in SmartAsset’s study. It is also just 8.6 minutes slower than the typical commute time for a driver in the District, the smallest difference among cities in which a significant percentage of the population relies on transit.
Not sidestepping or downplaying Metro's ridership #'s, I never indicated that they aren't good or don't matter. I honestly can't recall an entire transit system being shut down for safety/maintenance issues, not sure why you think that is common. I've never seen BART close down multiple stations for several weeks.

No one ever disputed DC's ridership so not really sure what your point is with that. Just pointing our current service quality issues that may make some people reconsider their initial choice since this thread was started.

According to that link SF is 2nd best, you agree with that?

Last edited by sav858; 09-14-2018 at 01:51 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Not sidestepping or downplaying Metro's ridership #'s, I never indicated that they aren't good or don't matter. I honestly can't recall an entire transit system being shut down for safety/maintenance issues, not sure why you think that is common. I've never seen BART close down multiple stations for several weeks.

No one ever disputed DC's ridership so not really sure what your point is with that. Just pointing our current service quality issues that may make some people reconsider their initial choice since this thread was started.

According to that link SF is 2nd best, you agree with that?
What is so uncommon about stations being shutdown for repairs? What are you talking about?

NYC MTA to shut down three stations for repairs:

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/2/19/1702...losure-repairs

"Three Upper West Side and one Washington Heights subway station will close for several months of repairs"

Three Manhattan and Queens stations to shut down for the rest of the year:

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/7/20/1759...t-145th-street

Busy systems see this happen often.

And for BART maybe it is more effective per capita than some of the others, idk.

Last edited by the resident09; 09-14-2018 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM

4,998 posts, read 5,953,282 times
Quote:
What is so uncommon about stations being shutdown for repairs? What are you talking about?

"Three Upper West Side and one Washington Heights subway station will close for several months of repairs"

And for BART maybe it is more effective per capita than some of the others, idk.
NYCT is terrible and WMATA is much worse. NYCT got into their current situation by delaying necessary maintenance. WMATA did the same but coupled that with incompetence. They are so bad that the federal government nearly stepped in to manage it. The shut downs for repairs have been significant and the ridership has responded by leaving. That’s what I’ve been reading.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Yeah and AGAIN I wouldn't be using NYC as an example to compare to considering all the service quality issues they are having right now as well. NYC's system is also over 100 years old, I kind of would more expect that from century olds systems today, not one built in the 70's.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah and AGAIN I wouldn't be using NYC as an example to compare to considering all the service quality issues they are having right now as well. NYC's system is also over 100 years old, I kind of would more expect that from century olds systems today, not one built in the 70's.

The point is big busy systems like MTA and WMATA require constant maintenance not once every 100 years .

Imagine if there were no stations closed for maintenance for the next 45-50 years in DC, MTA is a direct example of that.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
The point is big busy systems like MTA and WMATA require constant maintenance not once every 100 years .

Imagine if there were no stations closed for maintenance for the next 45-50 years in DC, MTA is a direct example of that.
Having to close entire stations for weeks or months at a time is the result of deferring maintenance until a point where you have no other choice . DC isn't a 24-hour system so there really is no good reason why they would even need to do that. That's the result of bad maintenance management there, not usage. You realize most systems do maintenance work like that while the system is shut down right? DC Metro has been all over the news for its mismanagement so not sure why you're acting like this is some typical thing that agencies do, it's not. This is a worst case scenario.

I never said anything to suggest they do maintenance every 45, 50, or 100 years. That was such a bizarre thing to imply. Older systems generally require more maintenance than new one's, that was my point there with NYC's subway age. But even that that is a result of not properly maintaining their system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City