Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:07 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You completely misunderstood. In fact, you read my list backwards, they were in reference to middle America, not New England. Further, I don't think you are even open to trying to understand.
Oh. In which case I'm even more confused. Are you saying that the midwest is more varied in terms of terrain and has a larger set of local accents than New England? Or that people in other parts of the country care more about sports? Because, I still might beg to differ with both those things. I can drive 1.5hrs south from my house in Boston to Rhode Island and hear a completely different accent. And people here are definitely chronically sports-obsessed.

And yes, I'm absolutely trying to understand. That's why I'm still responding. I also believe that the best way to flush out an idea is through disagreement, which is why I'm trying to counter what you're saying with my own ideas and experiences.

You know I've never been to Ohio. What has your experience with New England been? Have you spent a good amount of time in all the six states?

Also let me make sure we're still talking about the same thing: the question is whether the entire rest of the US is more similar to Ohio than New England. You say yes, I say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 07:16 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Oh. In which case I'm even more confused. Are you saying that the midwest is more varied in terms of terrain and has a larger set of local accents than New England? Or that people in other parts of the country care more about sports? Because, I still might beg to differ with both those things. I can drive 1.5hrs south from my house in Boston to Rhode Island and hear a completely different accent. And people here are definitely chronically sports-obsessed.

And yes, I'm absolutely trying to understand. That's why I'm still responding. I also believe that the best way to flush out an idea is through disagreement, which is why I'm trying to counter what you're saying with my own ideas and experiences.

You know I've never been to Ohio. What has your experience with New England been? Have you spent a good amount of time in all the six states?

Also let me make sure we're still talking about the same thing: the question is whether the entire rest of the US is more similar to Ohio than New England. You say yes, I say no.
He is talking about High School and College Sports which are spectator events in the rest of the country, and hobbies of the students in Massachusetts, not at a professional level.

but the accent thing is wrong, Boston, Providence, Portland, Springfield, and New Haven/Bridgeport all have distinct accents and the Midwest from Rochester to Chicago is pretty much the same

Old 05-21-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
He is talking about High School and College Sports which are spectator events in the rest of the country, and hobbies of the students in Massachusetts, not at a professional level.
College hockey is always a big deal, even if football and basketball aren’t.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:26 PM

48 posts, read 42,729 times
Quote:

but the accent thing is wrong, Boston, Providence, Portland, Springfield, and New Haven/Bridgeport all have distinct accents and the Midwest from Rochester to Chicago is pretty much the same
People don't attend high school and college sporting events in MA?

Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradalan View Post
People don't attend high school and college sporting events in MA?
College, somewhat, HS if you are friends/family of players or they are in the state championship.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
College, somewhat, HS if you are friends/family of players or they are in the state championship.
Or if it’s Thanksgiving. Or if you have absolutely nothing better to do.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:20 PM

Well, then, I guess none of the good NFL players hail from Boston. Kind of hypocritical, to be such Patriot fans, right?

Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Well, then, I guess none of the good NFL players hail from Boston. Kind of hypocritical, to be such Patriot fans, right?
Not necessarily true. Someone who grew up in New England can always leave the region for college if they want to pursue a career in pro football. Here’s a list I found after a quick google search.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...y=USA&state=MA

And here’s a list of nfl players who went to Boston College, which is sometimes good at football.

NFL Players by College - B - National Football League - ESPN

Old 05-21-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Not necessarily true. Someone who grew up in New England can always leave the region for college if they want to pursue a career in pro football. Here’s a list I found after a quick google search.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...y=USA&state=MA

And here’s a list of nfl players who went to Boston College, which is sometimes good at football.

NFL Players by College - B - National Football League - ESPN
Missing my point. I tried to be REAL subtle, but, clearly, failed. I think there's a bit of snobbery in this part of the thread...."hobbies" for Boston, but, basically, important elsewhere. I've never been to Boston, or Ohio, but I can tell you, that from this thread, Ohio would be my choice. Lots more options for cities, and if you want to watch high school or college football, well, you're golden.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
and if you want to watch high school or college football, well, you're golden.
To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City