Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state do you prefer?
Ohio 44 48.89%
Georgia 38 42.22%
Neither 8 8.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 AM

133 posts, read 385,167 times

Advertisements

The Buckeye state vs the Peach state: which one would you rather live in? Some criteria to consider:
Cities and towns
Weather
Diversity
Cost of living
Recreation
Education K-12
Education colleges
Economy
Amenities (amusement parks,museums,historic sites)

Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 AM

133 posts, read 385,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acmilan View Post
The Buckeye state vs the Peach state: which one would you rather live in? Some criteria to consider:
Cities and towns I spent a year in Columbus and had great time there.I think I would like living in Cincinnati too. Ohio also has number of nice small towns and I could see myself living in Delaware, Newark or Oberlin for example. The Atlanta area seems to be recovering from the recession, but the rest of Georgia is still struggling. Overall I prefer Ohio cities.
Weather Ohio - real four seasons and winters get milder going north to south
DiversityGeorgia mainly thanks to the Atlanta area has more diversity, Ohio is still lagging behind in numbers of Hispanics and Asians
Cost of livingGeorgia has a reputation of low cost of living state, but I found Ohio also very affordable at least in the Columbus area overall: tie
RecreationTie
Education K-12Ohio
Education collegesGeorgia
EconomyRight now Ohio seems to be doing better than Georgia
Amenities (amusement parks,museums,historic sites)Both states have famous amusement parks,but Georgia might have the advantage when it comes to history
Overall I prefer Ohio
My answers to the thread

Old 02-01-2014, 08:30 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
I'd rather live in Georgia because of Atlanta, but Ohio is a much more well-rounded, balanced state.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:44 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
It would take Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinatti combined to compete with Atlanta. Some of the coolest people I've ever met have been from Ohio. I liked Cincinatti more than Cleveland but Columbus reminded me of Charlotte, which is a good thing because Charlotte (despite what you hear on CD) is a fantastic up and coming modern city.

That being said, I prefer Georgia hands down. Between having a world class metropolis, a historic city that's damn near unrivaled in terms of beauty, and uniqueness, and having a coast, mountains, plantations, swamps, and some of the best food you can find in the United States, it's hard to beat GA as a whole.

In my honest opinion, without Georgia, the Southeast wouldn't be quite the same. I honestly don't feel that Ohio is unique enough to be matched up against GA.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:50 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,143,889 times
One parent is from Georgia so I'm used to visiting Georgia to see Grandparents and relatives a whole lot. I was always glad when i returned from trips from Georgia that I lived in Ohio. The nightlife in Atlanta vs the cities in Ohio i would choose Georgia but you can still enjoy yourself here in Ohio so i would not make that a big factor. Cincinnati felt more dense and urban because everything is much closer together and convenient to get to. Atlanta felt more spread out even more especially now. Aesthetically I like the hills that Cincinnati has, it gives it flavor. The cost of living is may be cheaper in the Georgia due to cheaper energy costs in the winter. Amusement parks are about equal. Museums i was choose Ohio because you have more to choose from in a closer geographical area. The Air Force museum ranks up with the Smithsonian in DC on top of other good art and other museums such as the Cincinnati art museum within a hour drive of each other so i go with Ohio.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:20 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd rather live in Georgia because of Atlanta, but Ohio is a much more well-rounded, balanced state.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Columbus reminded me of Charlotte, which is a good thing because Charlotte (despite what you hear on CD) is a fantastic up and coming modern city.
Omg. I'm shocked.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:26 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
One parent is from Georgia so I'm used to visiting Georgia to see Grandparents and relatives a whole lot. I was always glad when i returned from trips from Georgia that I lived in Ohio. The nightlife in Atlanta vs the cities in Ohio i would choose Georgia but you can still enjoy yourself here in Ohio so i would not make that a big factor. Cincinnati felt more dense and urban because everything is much closer together and convenient to get to. Atlanta felt more spread out even more especially now. Aesthetically I like the hills that Cincinnati has, it gives it flavor. The cost of living is may be cheaper in the Georgia due to cheaper energy costs in the winter. Amusement parks are about equal. Museums i was choose Ohio because you have more to choose from in a closer geographical area. The Air Force museum ranks up with the Smithsonian in DC on top of other good art and other museums such as the Cincinnati art museum within a hour drive of each other so i go with Ohio.
Well metro Atlanta is hilly too; it is in the Piedmont and north Georgia comprises part of the Appalachians. So for geography I'd go with Georgia, having those features plus the coast. In terms of cities, I'd go with Ohio since you have more of a variety and you have a balance with the older, more classical cities of Cleveland and Cincinnati and the more modern metro of Columbus. Although I've never been, I'd probably give amusement parks to Ohio just for Cedar Point.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
Cedar Point is always ranked #1 and Kings Island is awesome too. Six Flags Over Georgia is not close to to either of those parks. There used to be a Six Flags in the Cleveland area (Geauga Lake) and that was more along the lines of SFOG.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:02 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Ohio by a long shot.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:56 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Georgia without a doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City