Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best North American Olympic Host City
Vancouver 16 16.84%
Salt Lake City 12 12.63%
Atlanta 13 13.68%
Calgary 1 1.05%
Los Angeles 34 35.79%
Lake Placid 9 9.47%
Montreal 7 7.37%
Mexico City 3 3.16%
Squaw Valley 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:42 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

That said, I still think cities not associated with US greed and political power, preferrably somewhere not typically American, cities like Miami or SF or LA could win. If NOLA got itself together, thats another one I think could be a serious contender.

LA, SF, Miami, San Diego-Tijuana, Tampa, Orlando Las Vegas, Honolulu, New Orleans, Seattle or possibly a Texas city.

LA would win a 3rd summer games before NYC would win its 1st games imo.

Fortunately we have lots of good candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 03:51 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Default Salt Lake City!

Salt Lake City for multiple reasons. Not all know the O.C. asked SLC to compete for the Olympics again as those in the U.S. knew cities like Chicago would never be accepted by the IOC.

I was fortunate enough to live in SLC metro at the time and see the transformation, world class venues where many foreign teams still train and more. I even got to attend an event!

These were high stakes Olympics - after 911. Could SLC keep athletes, visitors and press safe and comfortable? YES!

MSR

Old 02-07-2014, 05:49 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Compared to the fiasco happening in Sochi, all North American games' score a perfect 10.
This honestly.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:34 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Vancouver was a terrible location for the Winter Olympics. Not sure how you can pick a host city that barely gets any snow and isn't even that cold. Sochi is even worse.
But Vancouver is 3 hours away from arguably the best skiing in North America. Thy could of made it a Whistler games but all the infrastructure is in Vancouver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That said, I still think cities not associated with US greed and political power, preferrably somewhere not typically American, cities like Miami or SF or LA could win. If NOLA got itself together, thats another one I think could be a serious contender.

LA, SF, Miami, San Diego-Tijuana, Tampa, Orlando Las Vegas, Honolulu, New Orleans, Seattle or possibly a Texas city.

LA would win a 3rd summer games before NYC would win its 1st games imo.

Fortunately we have lots of good candidates.
Can't see New Orleans getting the Olympics, too small, not enough infrustruture to host a games. Alot of money would have to be put in the city. Great place for a superbowl or National Championship but the Olympics are another animal. Also you gotta take account the humidity in the summer. Call me a homer but I personally think Seattle is perfect for an Olympics. The only think needed would be upgrades on CLink and to finally finish making the Lightrail more efficient. The weather is perfect in the summer, and would look well on a global stage. Enough Fortune 500 companies to pour in the games aswell. I think it would finally put the city on a global stag and it would explode.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:56 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
I say Atlanta, because it had the Centennial Olympics. But if they want to do it again they better wait until October.
And get better security, so another bombing won't happen.
Edit: And I also think Atlanta used the infrastructure from the Olympics the best. Unlike many cities that just has empty venues after the Olympics.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
But Vancouver is 3 hours away from arguably the best skiing in North America. Thy could of made it a Whistler games but all the infrastructure is in Vancouver.

Can't see New Orleans getting the Olympics, too small, not enough infrustruture to host a games. Alot of money would have to be put in the city. Great place for a superbowl or National Championship but the Olympics are another animal. Also you gotta take account the humidity in the summer. Call me a homer but I personally think Seattle is perfect for an Olympics. The only think needed would be upgrades on CLink and to finally finish making the Lightrail more efficient. The weather is perfect in the summer, and would look well on a global stage. Enough Fortune 500 companies to pour in the games aswell. I think it would finally put the city on a global stag and it would explode.
That's a weak argument.
SLC did it and they have less corporations than NOLA.Many of the host cities don't have infrastructure but they build it or expand it.
Look at Athens.Sochi,Barcelona etc...

Humidity is an issue I admit but I'm sure there have been worse places(weather wise)

Seattle would be good too.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:39 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
That's a weak argument.
SLC did it and they have less corporations than NOLA.Many of the host cities don't have infrastructure but they build it or expand it.

Humidity is an issue I admit but I'm sure there have been worse places(weather wise)

Well I think its a different animal to host the summer olympics compared to the Winter Olympics. Athens and Barcelona and Athens are much bigger than New Orleans as well.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
That's a weak argument.

Winter and summer are two different animals. Your talking about over 1000 more athletes, 150 more countries, move global attention. If Nola maybe could do it if it had alot of help but I can't see it anytime soon. It's definitely no Athens, or Barcelona.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:30 PM

How many stadiums (over 30,000) do you think a city would need for an Olympics especially with the addition of rugby and possibly football.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:39 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Winter and summer are two different animals. Your talking about over 1000 more athletes, 150 more countries, move global attention. If Nola maybe could do it if it had alot of help but I can't see it anytime soon. It's definitely no Athens, or Barcelona.
Athens is no better prepared than New Orleans.

This is the United States. We could host an Olympics anywhere if we had to, in our sleep. And they would be incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City